2. iMac
  3. LC
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wanted to change to a quieter video card in this particular Hack and I must be doing something foolish.

This Hack:

Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.3 f12 BIOS
2700K - not overclocked yet
16GB Ram ( 4 x 4 Dominator )
Seasonic 750 W
Samsung 830 SSD 240GB
works fine with EVGA 9800 GTX+ ; but it is too noisy for this location.
( using DVI to a Samsung 24" )

I attempted first just swapping the video cards --> no video

I next pulled the drive and hooked it up to another machine via USB and modified the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, changing graphic enabler from yes to no.

Still no video at all. ( this is a brand new card, ie, untested, therefore it IS possible that the card is not happy; will try it via Ubuntu to test that if needed )

I am off to work now ( yes, I work strange hours... ), all ideas on what foolish mistake I am making are appreciated.

Thanks!

Rx4Mac

After seeming endless futzing ( and not having an mHDMI cable or adapter to test with ) I had to assume that either:

1) The card is bad ( no output at all... not from Linux either... ) or
2) The output is defaulting to the mHDMI port on the card and I currently have no way to utilize it.

Therefore, I went digging in my box of parts and came up with a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770.

I reset graphics enabler to yes, and it booted fine ( as long as I set use kernel cache to no ).

The card is quiet, therefore I have achieved my goal, although eventually I will have to troubleshoot the GT 640 to see
if the card itself is bad.

Rx4Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back