Can't use Disk Utility to partition USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Some Crappy AMD
Graphics
nVidia GTX 970
Hey guys,

So I know there's like two posts about this already, but they didn't solve it for me.
I have a 16GB SanDisk USB with nothing on it. I can erase it, use first aid, get info, etc. BUT I can't partition it.
I'm not sure why, I tried erasing it with:
Format: OS X Extended (Journaled)
Scheme: GUID Partition Map

But it still won't let me partition. It's just a gray box that I can't click on.

I'm running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and am in the process of downloading OS X El Capitan from the App Store, would that have anything to do with it? I can't partition it because that's not downloaded? I'm pretty sure that'd have nothing to do with it.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, HunterS.

Try another USB port, preferably a USB 2.0 port. You may need to download your mobo manual and look at what controller controls which USB ports.

Can it format under Windows? If you do not have access to another PC then you may want to download a Linux LiveCD or LiveUSB, boot from it and see if GParted or Disks (under Linux Mint) can see it, format it NTFS, partition it, delete the partitions. Don't forget to hit the Carriage Return/Enter/back arrow "button" to Apply the action.

Since it is a 16GB disk, why would you want to partition it? Just follow the directions, HFS+, GUID, then install El CAP. Yes, after down loading it form the App. Store you will first want to copy it from your desktop into the Applications folder and then save El CAP from your desktop onto a new 16GB USB stick and label it "Do Not Erase". And after you have installed El Cap do NOT overwrite that UniBeast stick - it is worth Gold. Mark it "UniBeast El Cap and Do Not Erase." Keep them both in a nice safe place, like in a wooden jewelry or cigar box on your desk. Trust me, you'll probably be using that stick a few more times in the coming year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back