Contribute
Register

Can't boot up OS 10.6 ... (grey Apple screen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@totenkopf4, @wildwillow. Thank you for your help - it is very much appreciated :thumbup:

I have ended up installing Mavericks from the USB drive more than once now, this is because when I have completed the installation process - it just restarts instead of opening the OS.

From this point, my options are go through this process all over again (which seems pointless), or booting up from the HD which results in auto-restarting as soon as it arrives at the Apple grey loading screen.

I now find that I can't seem to get into the OS.

Note: I will copy this post and paste it into a new thread in the Mavericks section, referring to this thread with a link as my progress to date.

@totenkopf4, @wildwillow. Thank you for your help - it is very much appreciated :thumbup:

I have ended up installing Mavericks from the USB drive more than once now, this is because when I have completed the installation process - it just restarts instead of opening the OS.

From this point, my options are go through this process all over again (which seems pointless), or booting up from the HD which results in auto-restarting as soon as it arrives at the Apple grey loading screen.

I now find that I can't seem to get into the OS.

Note: I will copy this post and paste it into a new thread in the Mavericks section, referring to this thread with a link as my progress to date.

Toby39

Ok so you have installed Mavericks from the USB more that once and each time it reboots...
Not sure I understand this ... so lets see if we can figure this out.

Expected results are that you install OSX Mavericks from the USB. When your get to the install screen your asked if you want to customize the install - I suggest using this - what this does is allow you to not do a full install ( printer drivers; internationalization other non OSX options.)
What we want is just the OSX basics, the rest can be done later if needed.

Once the install process completes the installer should stop saying it was installed and you have to exit it which will restart the computer. BUt you need to still use the USB stick to boot from.
THen select your HDD you installed to and boot from there.
IF we are at the desktop you will then need to run MultiBeast from the USB or copy to the HDD desktop and run from their. (the MultiBeast version for Mavericks) See the "GuideBeast" Guide in the Guides section
We will need to install certain options selections (sound Network etc) for Mavericks one of them is the boot loader.
The Boot loader is what enables us to boot the HDD and get to Mavericks.
Once done the use of the USB is not needed and you should be able to boot from the HDD.
Do be advised that you will still need to use command boot switches ....
Until the install is totally finished.

Now if your install is having issues with pretty much step one getting OSX Mavericks installed then something is wrong

During the start of this project when you were on the Snow Leo install and then the 10.6.8 combo update
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

did you install the Apple Software Update v 1.0 to your Snow Leo install before downloading Mavericks and making the USB!!!

Reason I ask is that this software update helps UniBeast make the USB drive. Not sure as to why its needed just that many users have reported that this step was needed for the successful USB creation !!!!

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1512

Once the install process completes the installer should stop saying it was installed and you have to exit it which will restart the computer.
... yes, done that

BUt you need to still use the USB stick to boot from.
... done that

THen select your HDD you installed to and boot from there.
Ahhhh, doesn't work for me, because I can't get beyond this stage now.
I have just tried to boot up with the HD, using '-x'
Result: This time it seems like I'm getting further. I get to the grey Apple screen again, but this time I do see the spinning timer icon. However, it has been spinning on this screen for over 20 mins. So, I assume that this is a sign that the boot-up didn't work. :(

Thanks for your ongoing assistance

Toby39

First off want to review when your at the OSX install screen the language that you're using to install Mavericks from is English.

UniBeast only supports making a USB drive in English.

After install and reboot from USB what is the boot command string you use.

If you're booting into safe mode (-x ) items like network may not work. Video is reduced to standard just like winblows...

Suggest "-v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No" without the quotes.

And of course your using the onboard video of the CPU not a dedicated video card.

Also can you update your hardware settings in you User ID section please.

Also see these two links for ideas
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...-x-10-6-snow-leopard-haswell-based-pcs-3.html
and
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ld-ga-z87x-oc-i7-4770k-hd4600-gt-640-a-2.html

Suggest you look at this link as its almost the same as your build...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ell-build-ga-z87x-ud3h-i7-4770k-hd4600-5.html

Also if your CPU is not the K model turn off the VT-d in the BIOS.

You can also do a google search w your motherboard and either the words Snow Leo or Hackintosh and get links to read ....

Thank you for replying :)

First off want to review when your at the OSX install screen the language that you're using to install Mavericks from is English.

UniBeast only supports making a USB drive in English.
I chose English

After install and reboot from USB what is the boot command string you use.

If you're booting into safe mode (-x ) items like network may not work. Video is reduced to standard just like winblows...

Suggest "-v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No" without the quotes.
These boot flags all produce an endless grey Apple loading screen:
-x
GraphicsEnabler=No
GraphicsEnabler=Yes
PCIRootUID=1
npci=0x3000
IMAG0104 grey-apple-loading-screen.jpg

This boot flag causes a crash:
PCIRootUID=0
IMAG0001 PCIRootUID=0.jpg

This boot flag runs the following text down the screen and then stops:
-v
IMAG0004 -v.jpg

Your suggested boot flag string does this:
-v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No
IMAG0005 long-tail-boot-flag.jpg

Also can you update your hardware settings in you User ID section please.
Please can you identify which settings are blank please? I had a look in 'Profile > About me' and can't seem to find something that needs adding… I might be missing something...

Thanks, just read the 2 pages. I didn't see anything that stood out as a potential fix (though I might not notice it if it was right in front of me). I will read some of the other pages in the same thread and see if I can glean something.

Suggest you look at this link as its almost the same as your build...
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ell-build-ga-z87x-ud3h-i7-4770k-hd4600-5.html
Thank you again, [same as above]

Also if your CPU is not the K model turn off the VT-d in the BIOS.
I believe it is a 'K' model: i7 4770K
Thanks

You can also do a google search w your motherboard and either the words Snow Leo or Hackintosh and get links to read ....
Thanks, I will do that. I have carried out quite a few searches describing the issue, and a lot of the SERPS are TonyMac forum pages.

I think I will have a search, but, if I draw a blank - I'm going to re-format the HD (restart the process) with iBoot Haswell and Snow Leopard, as 'time is of the essence' and I do need a stable work-machine ASAP.

... Though this time, I'll have the correct version of MultiBeast copied onto my USB Mav. boot loader.

Thank you once again for your assistance :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PS: My BIOS version is F5.
I haven't seen the bios version mentioned in the guides, so I didn't mention this before. Is it important?

Please can you identify which settings are blank please? I had a look in 'Profile > About me' and can't seem to find something that needs adding… I might be missing something...

Please replace 10.9 in your System block in your profile with your mainboard make/model.

Or you can create a sig and list your board, CPU and GPU.

It is hard to give advice when you don't have all of the hardware known and it is much easier if you have it in your profile or a sig and your helpers do not have to hunt through 3 or 4 pages to find if the OP ever posted hardware when it is not in the first post.

Please replace 10.9 in your System block in your profile with your mainboard make/model.

Or you can create a sig and list your board, CPU and GPU.

It is hard to give advice when you don't have all of the hardware known and it is much easier if you have it in your profile or a sig and your helpers do not have to hunt through 3 or 4 pages to find if the OP ever posted hardware when it is not in the first post.

In my profile... in 'System', I have now replaced the 10.9 with my board make and model.
I assumed that System referred to Operating System, sorry.

I already had my board and CPU in my Signature (though not in my earlier posts when I started the thread). If you cannot see this when looking at my posts, I suggest refreshing your browser or emptying the cache, as it sounds like you might only be able to see my older sig.

After looking up what GPU means, I see that it is another way of saying Graphics Card. I had this info in my Sig under the word 'Graphics' which is the term used in the 'My Profile' area under 'Basic Information'. I have now replaced this with 'Graphics / GPU' which should hopefully help make things clearer.
... I have also added more build info into my Signature, which should also help.

Thanks for your guidance

Toby39

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PS: My BIOS version is F5.
I haven't seen the bios version mentioned in the guides, so I didn't mention this before. Is it important?

Bios is important in two ways ,,,
one is we don't want to use the development bios ( latest ) and we don't want to use the initial release.
But as will all things this is not written in stone.
So If you BIOS is in the middle of the pack between oldest and newest then you should be fine.
Of course the software developers make changes to bios which affect the placement of settings can be. ( move stuff around). Or change wording, but if a poster has mentioned a specific bios version its sometimes beneficial to have that same version.

Since we can now make our own DSDT file we then don't have to inforce using a particular version of the BIOS to match a pre made DSDT file as we did in older versions of hardware.

When using new hardware and making a hack I use the search functions such as our Forum Search and Google to find references to these questions.

A word of caution - on some motherboard you can not down rev to an earlier version if you have upgraded to a higher version ( numerical) not sure as to why this is done just that its a "fact of life"!!!

And w BIOS loading (upgrading) you can do harm to the motherboard (brick it) if it go's wrong.

Can't boot up OS 10.9 ... (grey Apple screen)

@totenkopf4,
Thanks for replying, and sorry for my delay - I only just noticed your reply, and I didn't seem to get an auto-email notification.

I will be careful to avoid messing around with the BIOS version. F5 it stays!

As for the DSDT, I have just been informed by someone on my latest thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...mavericks-i-have-verbose-info.html#post847637 ... that I can choose DSDT-Free in MultiBeast, because of my Motherboard.

You will be able to see from the above thread that I am now stuck on the Apple grey loading screen (again), after just beginning to enjoy getting stuck in to Mavericks - Very frustrating! :cry:
... one person has suggested that DSDT might be the cause... I am waiting to hear why this might be[?]

I have included detailed information from my -v Verbose boot attempt. What would we do without this...

I have also made use of Chameleon Wizard to assist with WiFi connection problems and Screen resolution changes.

Thanks again :thumbup:

@totenkopf4,
I will be careful to avoid messing around with the BIOS version. F5 it stays!
Toby
The support site does not list a F5 as an option for BIOS on this mother board, this makes me think its orginal - so maybe an update would help.
See this site for your MB - confirm I have the right model number also check you MB version number. 10.0 or 1.1
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481#bios
As for the DSDT, I have just been informed by someone on my latest thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...mavericks-i-have-verbose-info.html#post847637 ... that I can choose DSDT-Free in MultiBeast, because of my Motherboard.

Yes as installing Snow Leo is temp this is what should be done a DSDT Free install.
But if we are installing Snow leo we do not use MultiBeast for this Haswell Hardware. And we use the Haswell IBOOT CD for all booting. What we do is to get OSX installed and then update to Combo Update V1.1 for 10.6.8 do the software update 1.0 for Snow Leo then download Mavericks and make a USB drive. Boot from USB and install Mavericks from the USB. Then use MultiBeast to tweak it.

You will be able to see from the above thread that I am now stuck on the Apple grey loading screen (again), after just beginning to enjoy getting stuck in to Mavericks - Very frustrating! :cry:
... one person has suggested that DSDT might be the cause... I am waiting to hear why this might be[?]
On Snow Leo no DSDT is needed. due to the haswell hardware you have.

I have included detailed information from my -v Verbose boot attempt. What would we do without this...

I have also made use of Chameleon Wizard to assist with WiFi connection problems and Screen resolution changes.

Thanks again :thumbup:

Again these items; your screen halt etc can be BIOS related I think that either F7 or F8 would be a good choice to update this.

IF this problem is happening when you installing or are attempting to install Mavericks from the UNIBEAST USB drive then your posting your questions in the wrong forum. As at that point your on 10.9 not 10.6:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back