Graphics
HD 7950
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is a strange problem -- I can't boot my installer USB drive. The drive is fine, works on every other computer I plug it into, but when I go into BIOS on my z77x-ud5h and select boot priority, my USB doesn't even come up as an option. I have tried messing around with all of the BIOS options and setting optimized defaults, but still no joy.

A week ago I had to install OSX on my HD by plugging it into a computer that I was building for a friend (z77-ds3h), but I don't have that option anymore. OSX worked fine on my z77x-ud5h, and the USB ports were working once I was in OSX, but after tweaking the wrong settings my drive is now un-bootable and I need to start over -- the question is how can I get the installer to boot? This is my 6th hackintosh, and I can honestly say that this is the oddest and most frustrating problem I've run into yet.

1. Have you upgraded to the latest BIOS/UEFI?
2. Have you tried selecting boot device by hitting F12 at post? That's usually the way you select boot device on Gigabyte boards.

thanks for the reply -- I have tried bios versions f5 and f7, didn't want to update any further because I'm not sure if other bios versions are compatible with the dsdt in the database -- and yes, i have tried pressing F12 at startup and my usb is not a boot option there :banghead:

UPDATE -- I have tried plugging the USB into every port and got it to work when plugging it into the keyboard, but the installer can't load because there is not enough power for the USB when plugged into the keyboard. So my computer can obviously recognize the USB, just not when it's plugged into the actual board. :crazy:

Hmm... I haven't had any problems booting from USB on any of those BIOS versions... very odd problem. I'd suggest contacting Gigabyte support at this point as it sounds like there's something faulty with the board.

staticmotions said:
UPDATE -- I have tried plugging the USB into every port and got it to work when plugging it into the keyboard, but the installer can't load because there is not enough power for the USB when plugged into the keyboard. So my computer can obviously recognize the USB, just not when it's plugged into the actual board. :crazy:

I've installed Lion from USB a few times and figured out that the best ports to use were the top two in back (below the esata/1394 ports). And actually, as long as USB controllers are on in BIOS, boot priority doesn't really matter as long as you're getting F12 in. I did, however, notice that when I tried to install Lion from a USB 3.0 stick the z77x-ud5h didn't recognize the stick.

SOLVED -- kind of...

So I finally got the installer to boot. The USB 2 drive with the installer booted from the USB 3 ports without a problem. I'm not sure why the USB 2 ports didn't work, but I suppose that doesn't really matter at this point. All of the USB 2 and 3 ports are working in Lion, but for some reason I still can't boot from the USB 2 ports in Bios... fortunately I don't need to now, but I'm still curious as to what was going wrong. I contacted gigabyte close to a week ago, still no word. Thanks for all of the input

You need to use the reed ports to be table to install lion after the installation run multi beast and then you will have all of the usb working ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back