Contribute
Register

Cannot get Asus Maximus Ranger VIII to recognize Clover-efi in UEFI boot options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero XI Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 560
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello
For the life of me I cannot get my Asus Maximus Ranger VIII to recognize Clover-efi as a UEFI boot option on any Sata drive!
It has the latest bios (1701), and it works fine for recognizing Clover as a boot option on a USB stick.
If I put the same sata drive into a Skylake pc with a Gigabyte mainboard, it also works fine, but for some reason the Asus mb only sees Windows and Ubuntu on sata drives. I tried three different sata drives, one which tripple-boots on other PCs and one which has only OS-X 10.11.5 on it.
Clover is the latest (3625), and I did disable secure boot, enabled CMS, deleted the PK keys and selected "Other OS" in the boot options. I tried clearing CMOS and even re-flashing the bios : no luck.
For now I just have to leave the usb key in all the time, but I would sure love to be able to fix this.
Many thanks for any help!

Start EFI shell from Clover tools, add the boot entry with bcfg - example:

bcfg boot add 0 fs0:\efi\clover\clover_x64.efi "Clover"

see also:

help bcfg

Thanks a million !
I had tried something similar but hadn't figured out the correct fs number since the dump flies by too fast past the screen size. Now I finally figured out that adding the option -b causes it to pause after each screen-full.
For my Clover installation there is no underscore, so it worked with this line :
bcfg boot add 0 fs2:\efi\clover\cloverx64.efi "Clover"

In case it helps anyone else, the sequence I used to find out the correct entry was like this:

Booting from the usb stick with Clover-EFI on it, enter the UEFI shell.
at the prompt
shell> map -b

to test the fs entry that looks promising enter the fs with the number and a colon:

shell> fs2:

then at the prompt fs2:\> ls

if it lists the directory of the EFI partition where Clover is installed, then add the Clover efi :

bcfg boot add 0 FS2:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi "Clover"

To see the NVRAM entries, type: bcfg boot dump -b

For help, type: help bcfg -b

Not sure how to return to clover from the fs2 prompt - just reboot with the hardware switch?

Last edited:
You can scroll the output with page up/down. 'exit' should return to Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back