Contribute
Register

Can I go from 10.8 to 10.11 on this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Graphics
Onboard HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi folks!

I'm writing this from my nearly perfectly functional Build 12D78 (OSX 10.8.3) CustoMac, that I put together 5 yrs ago, mainly as a studio computer running Logic Pro 9. Now I'm considering moving to Logic X, but alas, that means that I have to get (at least) OSX 10.11 running on this otherwise sweetass machine:

Corsair CC-9011023-WW Carbide 200R (midi-ATX, 4x 3,5 HDD, 7x PCI-e, 1x USB 3.0)
Corsair TXM Serie PC-Netzteil 650 Watt ATX
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0)

Intel Core i7-3770 3. gen (3,4GHz, L3-Cache, Sockel LGA 1155, 77W TDP)

Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2*8GB)
SANDISK Extreme SSD 240GB 6,4cm (2,5") SAT 6GB`s
Seagate ST1000DM003 (8,9 cm (3,5 Zoll), 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA) - 1 TB

1) Is this an eligeble build for running 10.11 or higher?

I've already gone ahead and made a UniBeast (6.2.0) disk with OSX 10.11 on it using Clover UEFI mode (as opposed to Legacy), and with MultiBeast 8.2.3, and as recomended tried to boot straight from it just to check out if things seemed to work before installing it to my internal SSD. But I get "Can't find mach_kernel" when doing so, so I thought I'd stop right there and reach out to you wizards before breaking anything..

2) Am I overseeing something here? Do I need to edit a .plist somewhere or fiddle with some kext files or something?

Before all of this, I naturally backed up my 10.8.3 startup disk using CCC, so that I could always go straight back to my current functional machine if anything went sideways, but I can't seem to see the CCC disk anywhere during bootup (I can only see my current Mountain Lion disk and the UniBeast disk). I can, however, see the CCC disk in the Startup Disk manager when booted on my current 10.8.3 partition.

3) This isn't any good, is it? Seems to me like I should be able to see the CCC disk while booting? Do I need to tamper with the clone for it to actually be bootable?

I guess those were my initial questions - any help (more or less obvious) would be greatly apprechiated!!!

Hi folks!

I'm writing this from my nearly perfectly functional Build 12D78 (OSX 10.8.3) CustoMac, that I put together 5 yrs ago, mainly as a studio computer running Logic Pro 9. Now I'm considering moving to Logic X, but alas, that means that I have to get (at least) OSX 10.11 running on this otherwise sweetass machine:

Corsair CC-9011023-WW Carbide 200R (midi-ATX, 4x 3,5 HDD, 7x PCI-e, 1x USB 3.0)
Corsair TXM Serie PC-Netzteil 650 Watt ATX
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0)

Intel Core i7-3770 3. gen (3,4GHz, L3-Cache, Sockel LGA 1155, 77W TDP)

Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2*8GB)
SANDISK Extreme SSD 240GB 6,4cm (2,5") SAT 6GB`s
Seagate ST1000DM003 (8,9 cm (3,5 Zoll), 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA) - 1 TB

1) Is this an eligeble build for running 10.11 or higher?

I've already gone ahead and made a UniBeast (6.2.0) disk with OSX 10.11 on it using Clover UEFI mode (as opposed to Legacy), and with MultiBeast 8.2.3, and as recomended tried to boot straight from it just to check out if things seemed to work before installing it to my internal SSD. But I get "Can't find mach_kernel" when doing so, so I thought I'd stop right there and reach out to you wizards before breaking anything..

2) Am I overseeing something here? Do I need to edit a .plist somewhere or fiddle with some kext files or something?

Before all of this, I naturally backed up my 10.8.3 startup disk using CCC, so that I could always go straight back to my current functional machine if anything went sideways, but I can't seem to see the CCC disk anywhere during bootup (I can only see my current Mountain Lion disk and the UniBeast disk). I can, however, see the CCC disk in the Startup Disk manager when booted on my current 10.8.3 partition.

3) This isn't any good, is it? Seems to me like I should be able to see the CCC disk while booting? Do I need to tamper with the clone for it to actually be bootable?

I guess those were my initial questions - any help (more or less obvious) would be greatly apprechiated!!!

(1) Your system should be able to run El Capitan 10.11.6. Previously I had a machine using a Gigabyte B75 motherboard with a Xeon E3 1230 v2 with a GTS450 graphics card and was able to boot and run El Capitan without problems. That machine is now disassembled and its components used elsewhere.

Have you set the required BIOS options in your motherboard listed in the El Capitan installation guide?

Thanks for replying 007 :)

Hmm, I just wanted to try and boot straight from the UniBeast before installation to check whether my system would run Clover, so I havn't tampered with the BIOS - Is that necesary (I really don't want to break anyting, as this is my only machine for work).

I'm starting to think maybe Chimera is acting jealous?

Again, thanks for your help - it's much apprechiated!

Thanks for replying 007 :)

Hmm, I just wanted to try and boot straight from the UniBeast before installation to check whether my system would run Clover, so I haven't tampered with the BIOS - Is that necessary (I really don't want to break anything, as this is my only machine for work).

I'm starting to think maybe Chimera is acting jealous?

Again, thanks for your help - it's much appreciated!

Yes, it is essential you make the necessary BIOS setting adjustments as instructed in the installation guide, otherwise you may not even be able to launch the MacOS installation program, not to say running MacOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back