Contribute
Register

Building a Mac questions. Please answer clearly and I will be very thankful! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Everyone, my name is Kiren.

So what I am trying to do is a little unique. So my sister had a Mac Book Air 13in (Mid 2012) that broke back in Feb. So I thought last week that I should make my own Mac. Then I remembered the broken Mac. So I took out the RAM and the hard drive. The reason I say this is kind of unique, is that I am using a hard drive that has OSX actually installed, and I am using the RAM from the Mac, which is smaller than the long sticks of RAM.

20151015_222910.jpg20151015_223052.jpg

So I have found a potential motherboard (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128822), but I still don't know if it will support all of my parts, AND I don't know ANYTHING about motherboards and cases. So if someone could please tell me a good case for this motherboard or another good case-motherboard combo. My budget for the motherboard is $100 and for the case it is $80. Also, I would like a motherboard that would support these sticks of RAM (they are from older desktops):

20151015_223245.jpg20151015_223346.jpg20151015_223355.jpg

I also would like a processor with decent integrated graphics (since most motherboards under 100 only support integrated). I don't really have a budget for this, but I would like something cheap.

So just a list of things I am asking:

• Is what I am attempting even POSSIBLE????
  • Can someone please tell me a good motherboard that will support the hard drive I have and all of the RAM (the total RAM is 5GB and 512 MB, x2 2GB sticks, x2 512MB sticks, & x2 256MB sticks).
  • Can someone tell me a good power supply for all of this (I did not mention this in the main message, sorry).
  • Can someone tell me a good processor for this (I would like something decent, something that is good for Minecraft, Terraria, iMovie, etc.).
  • And can someone please tell me a good case that will house all of this (I would prefer something as compact as possible. Also, could someone please explain how front ports work? Because no motherboard I have seen has ports on the front).
  • And I would like to thank, in advance, anyone who helped me.

Thanks!!!

Kiren:D:D:D

@kiren

You could use the laptop ram in one of the compatible NUC or Brix models but not with a
desktop board as they only use 240 pin DDR3 modules. In other words it won't fit or work
properly in any of the motherboards in the Buyer's Guide. Even the Mini-Itx systems use
the 240 pin modules. The older used desktop ram may or may not work. Pretty sure that
the quantity (in MB) is too small to run an OS like Yosemite or El Capitan.

Probably best to just buy a new 2 x 4GB kit of 1600 MHz DDR3 ram that has been tested to work
with the motherboard you choose to build with. That would be listed in the QVL from the motherboard
maker's website. Often found in the Support section of their website.

I'd suggest that you look at the potential builds in the B.G. and configure a system within your budget.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-october-2015.html#CustoMac_Mini_Deluxe

You can reuse the laptop drive but you'll want to do a clean install via the current Installation guide.
So back up any data on it first and then replace it on the new Customac build when you're done.
Getting a new SSD boot drive would be the best way to go.

Hope that clears things up. Bottom line is : buy your components from the Buyer's Guide and also find a
User or Golden build that uses the same hardware to help you through the OS X installtion. Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back