Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z77-UP4 TH has issues with USB3..... Personally I'd avoid it. :)
Also I'd avoid mixing Sandybridge CPU's with the Z77 boards ( even though you're supposed to be able to use them ) as alot of people are experiencing issues with that Mobo/CPU combo even in Windows machines.

Update your chosen Mobo to the latest bios version before attempting OS X installations . :)

Just my two cents.

I would love to see, as part of the CustoMac Buyers Guide, a listing of the various add-on boards that are proven to work OOB. An excellent example is the Sonnet Presto Pro Gigabit Enet adapter, or the Syba LP 1394a/1394b Firewire adapter.

These cards work natively in OSX, and help to avoid some of the pitfalls like Realtek GigE sleep issues. I also use Apple Airport and Bluetooth adapters, and boy, I have a CustoMac that I have complete confidence in. Everything works, just like a Mac Pro would. Upgrade to ML took 40 minutes.

Still, I would love to see such a listing, so that we have a way to work around problems or missing features with our various motherboards. USB 3.0 is a good example.

If you get to Montreal, MacMan, I'll buy you a Smoked Meat sandwich at Schwartz's, feed you some poutine, and show you an 8111D with sleep (wake actually) issues on a P55A-UD4P. You. be. the. man.

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

I'm curious to see the results of the GTX 550 Ti as to whether or not it's going to be a real issue. It looks like the price is right for my needs. The next best card is nearly double the price. :-S

I'm currently running that card with literally zero issues :)

I am building a Hackintosh with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard and a Corsair ax750 PSU. When I power up the fans turn for about 1 second and then everything stops. advice on how to proceed with testing greatly appreciated.

I am building a Hackintosh with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard and a Corsair ax750 PSU. When I power up the fans turn for about 1 second and then everything stops. advice on how to proceed with testing greatly appreciated.

Hey JD , I'm assuming the fans in question are the PSU fans? Or do you mean the CPU fans? :?:
Does the Mobo get to P.O.S.T ( power on self test ) via the bios? :?:

More info would be handy :)

Anyhoo , first up check that all cables/plugs and sockets are correctly seated and in place.... ATX , ATX12v, memory etc etc. :):thumbup:
If that is all ok , assume hardware fault.... PSU bad or Mobo , memory config.. lil hard to say with limited info atm but thats where to start looking :)

Good luck:thumbup:

Try clearing the CMOS, there's a button on the motherboard, hold it down for 5 seconds and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back