Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know why Sandisk Extremes are the only recommended SSDs?

I was planning to use a Crucial M4 msata because it's a msata unit that approaches the price and performance level of a standard SSD.

If the Sandisk is more compatible with ML, however, I'd much rather use one of those.

Because it's good value for money. Any SSD should work and we have 100's if not 1000's of users that use the m4, so go ahead and get one.

Hi there seem to be 3 B75M options:

GA-B75M-D3H Realtek ALC887 codec, Realtek GbE LAN and AMD CrossFireX support
GA-B75M-D3V Realtek ALC887 codec, Realtek 8111F chip LAN (16 GB of system memory)
GA-B75M-D3P Realtek ALC887 codec, Realtek 8111DP LAN and AMD CrossFireX support

In Australia the D3H and D3V are easy to find. I hope the GA-B75M-D3H can be added to the list next to the B75M-D3P.

They're all good, it doesn't HAVE to be in the list to work. The only reason we picked the D3P is because it has slightly better features than the other two models, but either of them will work.

Please note that the buyers guide is not definite, it's a suggested list of components that work well, are good value for money in terms of the features you get and consists of components that are readily available in the north American market.

Why is it that a dsdt is no more required for the mobos?

Are you sure about the compatibility of the GA-Q77M-D2H? It is special gigabyte board with intel Vpro technology builtin.
It means you can remotely access the machine even if it is turned off, and you can remotely install operating system over the built ip kvm ability. So if you guys are sure about the GA-Q77M-D2H mountain lion compatibility. I live in Europe, but I can order it from U.S. risking the four times more transportation cost (in case of an hardware failure even bigger..), because this board is unfortunately not available in Europe. Has this board already tested to earn the "Customac recomended" status?
I desperately need this board in combination with mountain lion, but only if it is working flawlessly. It is gonna drive an apple led cinema display 27 with an DP to mini DP cable over the builtin displayport.

Good job! I notice AMD GPU's are not in this list
don't know if this has been said yet but because they are not supported by any mac version natively therefore you would need to "hack" the operating system

Edit: Sorry thought it said cpu

I do not know how to install mountain lion in customac? Is there a need MAC OSX Snow Leopard Install DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back