Contribute
Register

BridgeHelper 5.0 installed on MacOS 10.5 by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
homers said:
Ok so my next steps are

1) getting a external drive
2) Boot with 10.5 install CD go do disk utility and format the external drive to HPFS
3) Backup the iMac drive using one of the mentioned tools
3a) I guess CarbonCopy or SuperDuper are bootable applications/cd which don't need a working MacOS, right?

Well I would not shutdown the iMac host. Connect the external drive, use Disk Utility to partition/format if it is not already a GUID/HPFS drive. Down load Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! apps and clone the iMac to the external.

There is a good chance that if you reboot or shutdown the iMac you will not be able to boot it again.

Say for instance if you did shutdown the system. You would then need a bootable external hard drive to get back into the internal hard drive. Booting the original Leopard or Tiger DVDs most likely would not let do much but run the utilities found in the installer drop down menu (for example you could run Time Machine restore but you do not have one, or you could run Disk Utility and create a disk image out to and external drive which would be better then nothing but requires yet another drive to restore the image on).

neil

He can't do anything anymore. He's been greeted by the spinning rainbow of doom.

Yes the wheel is turning :headbang:

I guess to be on the safe side I've to take the iMac (G5) apart and take out the HDD and put it into an external housing and put a new HDD into the iMac to install 10.5 on it.
Later I hook up the external HDD and copy the data back to the main drive?!
What do you think guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back