Contribute
Register

Bootloader Issues with two partitioned 3TB HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Ga-P55-USB3
CPU
i7 2.93 Ghz
Graphics
XFX ATI 5770 ZNFC -flashed.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Built a customac mini
MOBO: GA-H61N-USB3 rev. 2 F2 BIOS
Grahics: internal HD3000

I had Lion 10.7.3 running up and well, perfectly booting without any problems with the latest chimera boot loader. I had a 120GB SATA laptop HDD in the build and wanted to upgrade to a 3TB drive. So I used carbon copy cloner to copy the 120GB install onto a 121GB partition onto the 3TB HDD. The HDD was partitioned in two as 121 GB (direct copy of the old HDD) and then 600GB (I couldn't partition the HDD exactly how I wanted it while it was mounted via USB external SATA dock, detected as only a 800GB HDD) So once the copying was finished, I installed the 3TB HDD internally and tried to boot. It kept erring out, Boot0 error I think. It just wouldn't load the boot loader. I booted into the USB HD from boot menu and booted into the old 120GB from the USB external dock and got into chimera and even gave me the selection to boot into the 121GB partition from the 3TB drive. I did that and tried to reinstall chimera through standalone installer, even made sure the Extra folder had a correct chimera boot .plist file. Rebooting still gave the same error. Also I Could not repartition the 3TB HDD into 1.4 - 1.4 - .120 TB partitions through disk utility giving a mapping error. I can't even expand the 600GB partition to 1TB. Now what I am stuck at is booting into the new HDD via the old one through a USB SATA Dock. Any help please?

found my problem here
but the dated forum is 2011, any update on chimera in 1 year regarding bigger hard drives? I guess for now I'll have to boot off chimera from a USB drive instead unless it has been fixed and I don't know of it.

Lastly, I realized I posted this thread in the wrong section, should have been under Chimera. sorry!

No I have a Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm

I had a mini atx form factor board with only 2 data ports. Had to formate it first as the slave, secondary drive. Only via that method (no external dock that I had could manage 3TB, showed it only as a 800GB HDD) would I get to utilize 3Tb. Next weekend, I'l CCC over onto the 121GB partition and see if I can boot form it. Or maybe I have to reinstall the OS because the drive sizes are different? Will this mess put the partition table on the 3TB HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back