EVGA GeForce GTX970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

I have a boot issue: on boot I see the Apple logo, a spinning wheel and after a minute or two a crossed out circle appears over the Apple log. I have a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, with 8GB of ram, ATI HD5750 graphics card, and an Intel i5-2500K CPU. I used instructions similar to viewtopic.php?f=168&t=32306 to install 10.7. And this has worked right through to 10.7.4. Several days ago I successfully updated using the latest Multibeast installer, and downloaded the latest DSDT which reflected changes for the Z68 boards.

I decided to try and get my front audio ports going - still unsure why they are not going. I was doing a bit of research and came across http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=f ... 463&page=4

After installing this, the boot issue arose. I am able to reach the Chimera boot loader (1.9.2 r 1394) by pressing F8, typing -v gets me to verbose mode. I see that it detects a Radeon 6899 (seems incorrect??). Then it reaches
"Waiting on <dict ID="0"> < key > IOPRoviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources .....
> Still waiting for root device

Can I fix this without reinstalling? I am going to remove the hard drive and plug it directly to another Mac, and look at manually reversing the changes however I'm not sure what to actually change. Any alternatives or advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Okay so anyone that has a similar problem to this I have fixed it using a Lion boot disk, and the Multibeast recovery method described on Tonymac somewhere (I lost the link!). Briefly - I had a working Hackintosh on 10.7.4, but I accidentally updated to an incorrect DSDT and some incorrect kexts. I had trouble booting (waiting for root device).

Steps to fix:
*Create a Lion install usb disk (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.nz/2011/1 ... using.html)
BUT with one extra change, I created two partitions. On the second partition I used Multibeast and a correct DSDT to install the required Extra folder to the second partition.
*Booted into the lion install, ran terminal, and replaced the /Extra folder on my main hard drive with the /Extra folder installed to the second partition of my usb drive (created by Multibeast).

At this point I rebooted and everything was back to normal. I understand I could have also just removed the Extra folder, and this may have been bootable too. Hopefully this helps someone...

Re: Boot problem 10.7.4 after a bad move (broken bootloader?)

You might consider burning an rBoot disk and booting with that in the DVD drive, that will allow you access to your HDD and you can run MultiBeast again if need be.

Have you tried booting with -x PCIRootUID=1 and/or GraphicsEnabler=NO

No luck with the options provided. In verbose mode I can see that it reads the various files from the drive:
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System ....

I'm using rdisk at the moment, but still haven't managed to make it boot - waiting for root device. I actually see the following message:
USBF: 7.977 PXHCD[0xffff....]: CreateRootHubDevice Bus 0 already taken

During boot it pauses for considerable time at:
USBF: 6.71 IOUSBController::CreateRootHubDevice Bus 0 already taken
EDIT: also the hard drive sounds like it spins down at this point

I've now booted using rdisk. Using any options the boot loads various files from hd(2,2), whereas when booting from the hard drive it loads from hd(0,2).
So when booting from the rdisk cdrom, I tried the following options in various configs to no avail:
dsdt=null
-v
-x
-F
-f
PciRoot=0
PciRoot=1
rd=disk2s2
rd=disk0s2
rd=disk0s1

Okay, so I'm not sure how to progress.

I have an rboot cd, and I have chimera installed okay on the computer. Either way, there doesn't seem to be any way to get past "waiting for root device". Is this because the bootloader doesn't know which disk/partition to boot from or can this be caused by something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back