Contribute
Register

BoomR's HTPC Build - i7 2600K - GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork said:
I've also converted my 1st hackintosh in a HacHTPC (see my signature block for the build description) which is probably too much computer power for a HTPC. So, anything newer is a hobby. :lol: :thumbup:

Do you have a link to your Cube build? I'm wrapping up my own Cube 2.0 hack using the ASRock H77M-ITX. I'd love to see/read about your build!

And speaking of hobbies, I think I may need a 12-step program. I'm already thinking about excuses to build another machine (that would make #5 for me) LOL :crazy: :thumbup:

See eelhead's build in Customization forum section. I duplicated his efforts. I also have a stock Cube running 9.2.2 (which is really fast on that PPC). Fun bookends.

Gotcha - I like a lot of stuff that he did on his for sure. And especially liked the great video clips showing everything in action.

Here's my build: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=64284

Currently the only outstanding things yet to iron out are: 1) Getting audio over HDMI, and 2) hooking up the original touch-sensor power switch.

I've got a hardware power switch that is working fine right now, so that gives me the luxury of focusing on the operational/functional part. Mieze is assisting me with an edited DSDT. That, along with Toleda's Interim AppleHDA audio kext. Still trying to get it ironed out. I get good analog audio from the backplane output to my Bose 2.0 computer speakers. Still no joy on the HDMI audio to my HDTV's speakers... :(

BoomR said:
mikey101 said:
Great build! What kind of cpu cooler are you using? Have you tried any overclocking? I want to build this same system but I'd like to overclock the cpu to 4.5ghz. I just don't know what cpu coolers fit in the case, there's not much information about it.

Check out the pics - you'll see I'm using the stock in-box CPU fan. There is enough space for that one to fit, so it saved me some $$$. In time, I may explore some low-profile/low-noise fans.

As for overclocking, this machine is basically just a media player (Plex) and BD player using MacGo's BluRay Player. It's got MORE than enough horsepower as-is to run those apps. I've got my entire BD library converted to MP4's/M4V's and sitting on my NAS, so I stream that content, plus use this for Hulu, Netflix, etc through Plex Media Center.

To be honest, using an i7 2600K is probably a bit of overkill. An i3 or i5 would have worked just as well. But that's just my $0.02 worth :wave:
Thanks for the info! I should be able to find a cooler that's the same height now that I know it's the stock one. I'll also be using it as a media player on my TV, but I also do music production in my living room as well so I need tons of speed. No need for a video card though since I don't do any gaming on it.

mikey101 said:
No need for a video card though since I don't do any gaming on it.

I've been doing music production for a LONG time on the Mac. Suffice it to say that many of the top DAW applications on Mac (ProTools, Logic, Digital Performer, etc) can be very graphics-intensive...esp if you have multiple windows open (mixer, editor, plug-ins, VSTs, etc) simultaneously + are playing, recording, or rendering. I would ALWAYS recommend a video card with any music, video, or photo production app.

You won't need a gaming-class card, but something current... maybe single-slot width, and 1GB RAM. It'll be worth the extra $45... One good option is the one in my HTPC build - that ASUS ATI Radeon HD6450 card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121439
No fan (so quiet), 1GB memory, works OoB (no extra tweaking required).

Just something to think about...:) Good luck man!! :headbang:

BoomR said:
...I would ALWAYS recommend a video card with any music, video, or photo production app...
Now, for my hobby purposes, I use GargeBand to record my guitar practice sessions on Zorro which uses HD 3000. But, as I said, there's just the 3 of us - me, myself and I. :thumbup:

I must confess that HD 3000 impressed me. Here's the Tom's H/W site's graphics card hierarchy table: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: June 2012.

I started out using HD 3000 to help tonymacx86 with some Beta testing last year and stuck with it. However, I might look into your ATI 6450 an inexpensive alternative to HD 3000/4000.

Stork said:
Now, for my hobby purposes, I use GargeBand to record my guitar practice sessions on Zorro which uses HD 3000. But, as I said, there's just the 3 of us - me, myself and I. :thumbup:

Ahhh..that's cool, then. I've used GB maybe a couple dozen times to do stuff for day-job-work (since they're too cheap to pony up for Logic). You should be totally cool with HD3000 graphics with that one, then :) BUT...if you find that you do need a little extra video horsepower, you can't go wrong with that ASUS card IMHO! :)

--B

BoomR said:
You won't need a gaming-class card, but something current... maybe single-slot width, and 1GB RAM. It'll be worth the extra $45... One good option is the one in my HTPC build - that ASUS ATI Radeon HD6450 card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121439
No fan (so quiet), 1GB memory, works OoB (no extra tweaking required).

Just something to think about...:) Good luck man!! :headbang:

Thanks! I'm thinking about getting this card since it may have less heat issues..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814133356

Also, I'm confused, on this page it says 'Maximum height of motherboard with CPU cooler = 57.15mm or 2.25 inches
http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/ ... C-e5-B.htm

But according to the comments in this youtube page, just the stock cooler itself is 60mm or? 2.36 inches (that's the only place I could find where it told the height of the cooler)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHeutnIon0

I'd double-check the specs on the Wesena web site. As you can see by my pics, the stock cooler fits perfectly... :D

Hi BoomR -- Love your case, I might have to seriously consider a Wesena for my next build.

Quick question, I'm still putting my rig together and I purchased an Optiarc BC-5650H drive. Did you do anything special to get your drive working? I get this error when I attempt to play a movie through mine: "Valid video device could not be found for playback (-70017).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back