Contribute
Register

Bluetooth IOGEAR GBU521 issue - limited range (40cm!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Yosemite
CPU
i7 2600
Graphics
MSI GTX 650 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello

My IOGEAR GBU521 bluetooth adapter has a very limited range with my Apple Magic Mouse (40cm!) and gets very laggy

Looking around on here and Google, it would seem I am not the only one affected by this

However, plugged into my PC - the bluetooth adapter can receive my Apple Magic Mouse from across the house! So it is definitely not a hardware fault

Is there an updated driver for this or shall I order the Gymle bluetooth adapter ?

Thanks

Hello

My IOGEAR GBU521 bluetooth adapter has a very limited range with my Apple Magic Mouse (40cm!) and gets very laggy

Looking around on here and Google, it would seem I am not the only one affected by this

However, plugged into my PC - the bluetooth adapter can receive my Apple Magic Mouse from across the house! So it is definitely not a hardware fault

Is there an updated driver for this or shall I order the Gymle bluetooth adapter ?

Thanks

Updated driver? Windows baggage! Seriously though, Apple doesn't release driver updates like in the PC world. You'll have to resolve it on your own. Real Apple computers have real bluetooth antennas, unlike the bluetooth doles for pc's. With that in mind, Apple maybe running their bluetooth at specification.

There are 3 things I would suggest. First, is there any other wireless device next to your computer that could be interfering? The second is that you should have a clear line of sight between the bluetooth dongle and your mouse. Wooden desks are okay, but no large chunks of metal like the entire computer case. You can move the dongle to the front of the case if you have front usb ports, use a entension cable to get it around the case. I solved my issue by using a little extension that spaced my bluetooth up out of the valley where the usb port is. You don't want the dongle next to your wifi adapter antennas either. Spacing my adapter about and inch and a half out made all the difference.

Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried all of that already and get the best result with it plugged into my front USB port.

But to be honest the excellent range of the dongle when plugged into my PC laptop (next to my hack) goes against all of the regular trouble shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back