Contribute
Register

Black Screen Stall Upon Reboot from Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't work, in the last step, I couldn't reboot successfully. No sigh in the computer, it just be dark, but cooling fans were still worked.

Did you rerun MultiBeast after booting the SSD and install the same configuration (...., drivers, bootloader, ...) to the external drive where you cloned macOS?

CCC will clone your macOS files. CCC will NOT clone your EFI. You need to run MultiBeast to install the EFI on the external drive.

Best'

-NZRichard

Did you rerun MultiBeast after booting the SSD and install the same configuration (...., drivers, bootloader, ...) to the external drive where you cloned macOS?

CCC will clone your macOS files. CCC will NOT clone your EFI. You need to run MultiBeast to install the EFI on the external drive.

Best'

-NZRichard
Yes,I did, it was not worked. Thank you for your reply, I tried to update directly and reinstall,but finally I returned it to 10.12.6. I couldn't spend another two days on it. Maybe I will update after the Guide update too. Thank you.

Yes,I did, it was not worked. Thank you for your reply, I tried to update directly and reinstall,but finally I returned it to 10.12.6. I couldn't spend another two days on it. Maybe I will update after the Guide update too. Thank you.

I'm not expert so may be i'm wrong but this is my experience: Uninstall and do clean install of CCC before every cloning, if you want to create recovery efi partition too.
Carbon Copy Cloner not only don't copy efi files, CCC don't create recovery partition where efi is, if this is second, third etc cloning with the same instaled CCC app. CCC create recovery partition on cloned disk only if you have clean, first installation of CCC, in his first running for example you want clone HDD to SSD, CCC ask you to create this recovery EFI partition. But all other cloning don't ask you this again. You must uninstall and do clean install of CCC before every cloning. It's because CCC remember last cloning session, where CCC remember that recovery efi partition was already cloned, so second, third etc cloning don't ask you at this again. For example you try first clonning HDD to SSD. Then you find your High Sierra not working so you format SSD and try again boot from HDD and clone to SSD, again. In this second cloning CCC don't ask you to create recovery efi partition on SSD, because they remember that was already created before (CCC don't know about you format SSD in the meantime). After create this recovery partition you must apply multibeast running from HDD and apply to SSD of course, but this working only if recovery partition was created as i say above.
One thing more: I mean Multibeast don't tell you recovery was not created, multibeast run everything from HDD to SSD, even you hasn't recovery efi partition. I don't know where multibeast write files in this case, but many people think that all is right, if multibeast run succesfuly. May be i'm wrong, if anybody know how is possible multibeast run succesfully even on disk without recovery efi. May be multibeast should have detection of this, something like "ok i find efi on SSD and i will apply files on there"

Example from real life bad cloning: I has HDD with efi partition with macOS Sierra. Boot from this HDD and clonning this to SSD with CCC, but efi partition on SSD was not created, because this was not first clonning. Then i run multibeast from HDD and apply to SSD, all is right multibeast says ok operatin complete. Then a restart and see 3 icons (recovery+hdd+ssd) and i choose boot from SSD. System run from SSD without problem, but problem is that use recovery EFI partition from other disk HDD at start. So SSD don't use own efi partition, but use HDD efi partition as a bootloader and as a efi part for the multibeast files. So it is deceptive that all is right. Every disk must have own recovery partition where they has his own EFI i mean.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back