Contribute
Register

BitterMelon's "Chip" build: GA-Z77N-WIFI - i5-3570K - HD 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it! :headbang:

Everything is working fine! I had some probs with igfx - but after two restarts (one in safe mode) everything seems to be ok.
Running and sleeping :)

The only thing which isn't working is HDCP - so i can't play bought itunes films :(

First off I would like to thank everyone for all the information. This is a fantastic community and hopefully after I gain enough knowledge I can give back, but unfortunately at the moment I am still the young grasshopper.

BitterMelon, you’re the man!! Great build and thank you for taking the time to help everyone :thumbup:

My inspiration from your progress:

i7 3770 | GA-Z77N-WIFI | Corsair V LP 16gb (2x8) | HD4000 | H60 | 450W SFX | FT03 Mini | DW1515

A few questions that might help others as well:

- Would you recommend I update BIOS to F2 before or after installation of ML (unibeast) / multibeast? Not using a GPU at the moment, no overclocking.

- Standard flash update with the file (Z77NWIFI.F2) on a usb? http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4337&dl=1#bios

- In BIOS did you change anything? Seems that AHCI is already preselected, but on the Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress) another user followed this guide “http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-g...55-boards.html” to setting BIOS:

“xHCI mode is set to Auto”

“xHCI and EHCI Hand-off is enabled.”

“On the peripherals settings screen you can also configure the display settings… If you’re using the integrated Intel graphics, then you want to select IGFX here.”

“Power Management options. Here the important setting is High Precision Event Time”

“As for any of the other UEFI settings, well, they don’t have to be changed to have a fully working system. You do want to set up the correct boot drive under BIOS Features and note that you can’t set the boot drive to one with the UEFI prefix for OS X, as you won’t be able to boot into the OS if this is set, instead you need to select the legacy option which is usually listed as something like "P0: Drive name" if you’re using the standard Intel SATA ports.”

- Do all of these apply?

Thanks again, really do appreciate it!! And hopefully someone else can gain some knowledge as well.

Karpovnious

- Would you recommend I update BIOS to F2 before or after installation of ML (unibeast) / multibeast? Not using a GPU at the moment, no overclocking.
Mine came with F2, so I know "before" works. ;)

- Standard flash update with the file (Z77NWIFI.F2) on a usb? http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4337&dl=1#bios
I suppose. Like I said, I didn't have to do it at all.

- In BIOS did you change anything? Seems that AHCI is already preselected, but on the Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress) another user followed this guide “http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-g...55-boards.html” to setting BIOS:
Nothing important I think, I went through it pretty quickly. I may have enabled Virtualisation support for good measure, but it's definitely not needed.

“xHCI mode is set to Auto”

“xHCI and EHCI Hand-off is enabled.”

“On the peripherals settings screen you can also configure the display settings… If you’re using the integrated Intel graphics, then you want to select IGFX here.”
The last one was on auto I think. I think that worked.

“Power Management options. Here the important setting is High Precision Event Time”
There was no obvious setting for this. It may have been called something different, but I didn't change anything.

“As for any of the other UEFI settings, well, they don’t have to be changed to have a fully working system. You do want to set up the correct boot drive under BIOS Features and note that you can’t set the boot drive to one with the UEFI prefix for OS X, as you won’t be able to boot into the OS if this is set, instead you need to select the legacy option which is usually listed as something like "P0: Drive name" if you’re using the standard Intel SATA ports.”
I don't think the UEFI alterantive showed up until after I installed OS X. After that, using UEFI as boot device worked well (and it switched to it automatically).

I've read people think the Prodigy case is ''wobbly'', what is your take on that BitterMelon?
Want to copy your build as much as possible and I really like the case but want to know from people from here
if it's really wobbly or just a little.

thanks in advance;)

I've read people think the Prodigy case is ''wobbly'', what is your take on that BitterMelon?
Want to copy your build as much as possible and I really like the case but want to know from people from here
if it's really wobbly or just a little.

thanks in advance;)
Well, it's a little wobbly, the "feet" are rounded soft plastic after all. It's not really a problem (it won't fall over or anything), but maybe a little unusual. It moves about a centimeter at the top if you poke it hard, and wobbles 3 - 4 times or so before it stops (all very unscientific!). If you feel it's a problem you can actually remove the bottom handles/feet and replace them with rubber feet if you like. I know some people have done that.

But no, it's not really a problematic wobble.

Ok got my little hack working yesterday :=)

Z77N-WiFi
i7 2600K @ Water
EVGA GTX 285 SSC
8 GB G.Skill RipJaws
Cougar 400SE
240mm Radiator with 4x120mm fans in push/pull

works like a charm! Only thing not working ist the WiFi but I just need a new module for that :)

Thank you for the great guide. Got my rig going yesterday with the addition of a Silverstone FP37B card reader.

GA-Z77N-WiFi w/ DW1515
i5-3570K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Seasonic X650 Gold
Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Seagate Momentus XT 320GB, WD Scorpio Black 320GB, Samsung 2.5" 640GB (Already have)
Silverstone FP37B USB 3.0 card reader
Silverstone FP55S Aluminum 3.5" to 5.25" bay converter
Lian-Li PC-Q11A Aluminum tower case
Mountain Lion 10.8.2 from Appstore on a USB stick

A note on the USB 3.0 reader, I had to update the firmware from DP03 to DP04 in order for the mobo to recognize it regardless of which OS - I tried Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 Pro, and Mountain Lion. Under Windows 7 with the mobo-provided USB3 driver, the card reader and it's one USB3 port works as it should; however the port doesn't work under Mountain Lion so I'll have to depend on the 2 USB3 ports in the back. Overall I'm happy with the build especially getting the card reader to work at USB3 speed, plus love the Lian-Li case so much although it's a bit small for expansion but can't beat it's tiny footprint.

Could someone tell me what is power draw when idle with this mobo?
Thanks!

Hardly need vcore adjustments when a good 3770K will do 4.6 to 4.7 at stock voltage settings...

Was hoping to maybe undervolt the cpu so it runs a little cooler just like I have now.
Does a 3570k for example stay on stock voltage when you overclock or is it somekind of dynamic voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back