Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Alienware m15 R3-OC0.6.8
CPU
i7-10750H | HM470
Graphics
UHD 630 | GTX 1660 Ti (Disabled) | 1920 x 1080 @144hz
I'm setting up a second Hackintosh (different from my account settings). This is a Dell Precision 3510 / 6820HQ / HD530 / AMD FirePro W5130M. I feel like I'm missing something incredibly minor.

I've installed Big Sur 11.4 and I'm almost 100% running! I have activity and acceleration already on my Intel HD530 iGPU. macOS appears to recognize the correct dGPU device ID for the W5130M graphics card in System Information (682b):

1622748778720.png

ID's were pulled from Ubuntu terminal:

1622748122990.png

However there is no activity on the AMD GPU and it doesn't show in Graphics under "About this Mac":

1622749047422.png

Battery doesn't show the option for "Automatic graphics switching" either:

1622748986001.png

Hopefully this is a quick boot arg if someone can toss me an assist!

Sorry to burst your bubble but I think you need to disable the AMD graphics, as it is likely to be a 'Switchable' setup between the Intel IGPU and the AMD dGPU, which macOS can't use. The switchable graphics feature is a Windows/linux feature that has never transferred over to macOS.

So you were partially correct you do need a boot argument this one, -wegnoegpu, but it won't enable the AMD dGPU it will do the opposite, it will disable the AMD graphics so the system doesn't use it.

Some Dell laptops have the option in their bios to turn off the switchable graphics option, so only the IGPU or the dGPU is used, not both. I don't know if your laptop has this option, or if it will make any difference in the long run. See this Dell support page for details: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000054593/switchable-graphics-information-for-notebooks

Thanks for the reply! To be honest, I do use this boot arg on my other machine to disable Nvidia graphics.

The bios in this laptop doesn't allow me to disable iGPU or set GPU priority. No MUX switch either. I tried -wegnoigpu to only use the dGPU graphics since I know this card is supported, and I couldn't get past the verbose boot screen.

It is a supported dGPU, but not when used in a Switchable graphics setup. The kernel panic at the end of the verbose output would be where macOS tries to initiate the dGPU and fails. Disabling the dGPU would be your best option as it might help the battery last longer.

I got the same laptop. could you help me set up EFI etc?

Hello @DigitizedMe
I have Alienware M15 R3 like yours. I also had problems with the ps/2 keyboard. Did you solve this problem? if yes can you guide me please? Do you mind sharing your EFI please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back