Contribute
Register

Big problem with X9dai+ E5 2670V2 ES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Laurent

I work now from few months with the station and all is working fine if I just use the USB boot loader.
I use a second ATTO card (ATTO ExpressSAS R60F) with 12 SSD (ICY DOCK MB996SP-6SB ) and 3 HD.
The native 6 SATA ports are working with 4 SSD, 1 HD and the BLURAY.

I loose some time at startup the USB keyboard. The solution is to restart with the WACOM by clicking the restart button just below the password window … I can say that I'm not as confident as I was with my old MACPRO, but it's just to start the hack. So I use Smart Backup with Super Duper and I have all time a backup of the USB Bootloader. Only if necessary, upgrades are made on a third SSD and a second USB boot loader with all other disks disconnected.

I have also a WIN Boot on SSD Enclosure, just in case. Never use it from months.

In bios, the main thing is to be sure that the hyper threading is deactivate : OS X can't work with 48 cores. All other settings are those recommended on tonymac.

RESOLVE, but also FCPX, EasyDCP and all the postproduction software I use are working fine.

Regards
Jean

Hello Jean,

Thanks for your reply. I am at the point where I managed to install Yosemite onto the hdd (all other hdd's disconnected during this operation). I used the guide from this site with unibeast/multibeast, with "optimized settings "in bios and VT-d disabled as mentioned here.
I could only boot using the following boot flags : GraphicsEnabler=No and npci=0x3000 or 2000
After completion of the install from usb, system restarts to finish installation. By default at this stage I noticed that both graphics cards are recognized by the system, ram and processors all ok, even the ethernet is operational. I ran daVinci Resolve, it recognized the gpu cards as well.
The problems start then : I use multibeast to make the hdd bootable (tried several options) and do a reboot, selecting the hdd as the boot drive. It does not work. Bios gives a " no bootable device found" error. And if I try booting again using the usb key, I see no other choice than to start from scratch with a format and re-install everything :banghead:

Any suggestions would be very welcome :)

Best

Laurent

Hi Laurent

"I use multibeast to make the hdd bootable (tried several options) and do a reboot, selecting the hdd as the boot drive. It does not work. Bios gives a " no bootable device found" error. And if I try booting again using the usb key, I see no other choice than to start from scratch with a format and re-install everything"

Don't try to install MultiBeast !!!
It was the same problem for me too :
So,
I have a pure OS X install on SSD I start everyday the supermicro on the USB Bootloader with
npci=0x3000 dart=0 !
It works perfectly.
As soon as the startup is finish, I eject the USB Key. Don't need it after until I restart the supermicro.

Regards
Jean

Hello Jean,

Thanks for your reply. I came to the same conclusion two days before you posted this reply : after re- installing several times a day for a few days, I realized that I was better off not installing Multibeast, and boot each time from the Unibeast Usb drive. Indeed, so far, works like a charm. I am using different boot flags though : I use GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 (that one works indeed also with 3000, I have no idea what this all means), and I noticed that sometimes I would have issues if not using -v as well. Do you know what dart=0 is for ?
I am a colorist as well, working on daVinci Resolve. So far, I am only using this config for Prores exports, and plan on using it for future prores 4444 xq work (special thanks to Apple, Arri and blackmagic for this !). The rest I do on Windows 8.1. The reasons are as follows :
1. My storage presently consists of 2 Raids that are controlled by the motherboard. None of them are recognized by Osx. Actually, as you mentionned earlier, osx only recognizes the 6 Intel sata ports.
2. My cheap Renesas-based usb 3.0 pci-e card is not recognized by osx
3. I use a Black Magic Design Decklink mini monitor card that needs to update its software according to the os each time I switch from osx to win, if I want to use it.

What I intend to do :
1. Upgrade my internal storage solution with an osx-compatible sas/sata raid controller and create an 8 drive array
2. Buy an osx-compatible usb 3.0 controller ( any sugestions ? )
3. Buy a ssd drive for osx

Then I might start considering using strictly osx for my work.

Thanks to all the people who made this possible by spending time and offering us all the necessary tools !

Regards

Laurent

Hello RAYTAO,

Well, no UEFI settings per se. In BIOS version 3.0A, just "Öptimized setting" and Disable VT-d (anyway bootflag dart=0 will disable VT-d if not disabled in BIOS)

L

I have supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+, with the latest bios... But it doesn't boot my 2670 v2 es.. perhaps you could tell me what bios version you used and where to get it as supermicro site don't show legacy bios.

- I do apologize reviving an old thread, but I can't seem to find the " PM " option. perhaps I am new to posting..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back