AMD 650M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

Trying to get a GPU that is both quiet, compatible and good enough for my needs (will initially be powering a 27" monitor at 2560x1440 res and potentially may add another monitor in eyefinity). I don't really game, but I do like to watch movies. Needs to be almost silent. (Case I will be using is the Fractal Design Define R3)

Budget is around £120 ($180).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I have an 6870 XFX Dual Fan Black edition and it is very very quiet.

But I think thats a bit too much for your needs.

Maybe a 5770 would be best suited for your needs? A 5770 silent cell perhaps? It is very big so a look at the dimensions and the space in your case would be good before buying.

colorfuel said:

Maybe a 5770 would be best suited for your needs? A 5770 silent cell perhaps? It is very big so a look at the dimensions and the space in your case would be good before buying.

I have to second that: Brilliant Design (cooling not looks ;) ), 30% fan spin at 100% load!

Otherwise consider this 6790 XFX gfx card. Same design, a bit less power but (in Germany) 40 Euro less to spend.

colorfuel said:

Thanks, that's actually exactly what I was considering. I have done my research and found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GV-R57 ... =8-1-fkmr2

Unfortunately looking at some threads, people seem to have a few issues with it. It also isn't listed in the Wiki as a compatible card. I'd really like to get something that just works out of the box :)

xxx-xxxxx said:
colorfuel said:

I have to second that: Brilliant Design (cooling not looks ;) ), 30% fan spin at 100% load!

Otherwise consider this 6790 XFX gfx card. Same design, a bit less power but (in Germany) 40 Euro less to spend.

Thanks, I've managed to find it for £113 (so within my budget)! Unfortunately there is very little information on whether this card is supported. Could anybody let me know if they are using it please/if it is working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back