Contribute
Register

Best non-Gigabyte mobo brand? Gigabyte's BIOS is rubbish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 7559
CPU
i7-6700HQ
Graphics
960M, 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've been through 2 Gigabyte boards (Sandy Bridge) and both have MASSIVE problems setting the voltage for the CPU - in non-overclocked status. I don't overclock, nor do I want to, but the BIOS is doing things on its own, even changing the default clock multiplier and it shouldn't be doing these things. (I'm on other discussion forums discussing these issues, and it sounds like the brand has some issues in this regard...)

I know Gigabyte is very good for Hackintosh, but I intend to do a lot of CPU-intensive work and as the CPU can run in turbo mode at the stock 1.2v voltage, to see it ramp up to 1.38v is NOT acceptable.

I'm eying Asus and will do my own research as well, but the voltage issue alone for the most recent Sandy Bridge Gigabyte boards is worthy of a general post. At 1.38V, anybody doing CPU intensive work (video editing, 3D rendering, etc) is going to have a dead processor far sooner than they should.

But if people would respond with various mobos that are virtually 100% Hackintosh compatible, I'm hoping they will see this thread and be aware that Gigabyte does have some issues right now.

I've tested the GA-P68MX-UD2H-B3(F11 bios) and GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (F10 bios). The same voltage and clock settings are being exhibited.

it's possible the D3H's newest BIOS, F11, might fix these problems. But there's no DSDT entry yet, so I'm sticking with F10 and am doing what I can -- I might have to force 3.4GHz and let it run at 1.27v under load. 1.27v should be enough to run the chip at 3.8GHz, but the mobo automatically overrides every setting of its own accord (1.38V would be useful for 4.75GHz, which I am clearly not attempting, and it's Intel's max v spec to begin with).

Reference:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7008868#post7008868

asus are great boards. i rate them over gigabyte anyday.
however, as a hackintosh board, gigabyte have always been easier.

if you get an asus 1155 board, you will have to patch the appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext using speedstepper (google for more info) or use nullcpumanagemanagement.kext.

if you dont, you will get a kp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back