Contribute
Register

Beginners Guide to using OC Auxiliary Tools App (Also known as OCAT)

Your I225V probably needs a fix

Yes, thanks! I had found this page earlier, which is why I began looking into using OCAT to add the needed kext and .aml files, and edit config.plist. I supposed I could have used PepperTree, etc. (the "old" way) but OCAT looks like it's a much better tool. Hence the questions above (original post edited).

The I-225V works fine on Monterey 12.6.6; it failed on upgrade to Ventura 13.4.

Also, these machines both triple-boot, so I'm hesitant to flash device firmware which might render the NIC useless in the other two OS.

Forgive the dumb question; I set up my new Hacks (upgraded from two older machines) back in September with OC 0.8.6/Monterey 12.1 (now on 12.6.6).
Upgrading one of them to Ventura b0rked my Internet (doesn't see my I-225V NIC). So, I'm now entering the brave new world of OCAT (there's supposedly an easy fix for this problem using it). Apparently the current version of OCAT (20230020) is not compatible with 0.8.6. Which version is?

Also, once I get everything working with the 0.8.6-compatible release, I was planning on upgrading OC to the latest (0.9.2) after I got Ventura working and stable on both machines (and have image backups!). Can this be done in one step, or do I need to go up one OC/OCAT version at a time? Thanks, and pardon the newb questions!
OCAT can be used to update to pretty much any version of OpenCore, either backwards (not usually suggested) or forward. Make sure your data is backed up and then create a bootable USB drive that works with your current set up. Once you know it boots fine with no issues then use OCAT to update it to 9.2 and try it again. That way you don't lose usability. @5T33Z0 is right, the move to Ventura requires changes for your I-225V to work as well.

Yes, thanks! I had found this page earlier, which is why I began looking into using OCAT to add the needed kext and .aml files, and edit config.plist. I supposed I could have used PepperTree, etc. (the "old" way) but OCAT looks like it's a much better tool. Hence the questions above (original post edited).

The I-225V works fine on Monterey 12.6.6; it failed on upgrade to Ventura 13.4.

Also, these machines both triple-boot, so I'm hesitant to flash device firmware which might render the NIC useless in the other two OS.
You probably do not have to mess with the firmware but it does depend on what version you have, I haven't needed to. If it comes to that you could always add a compatible network card internally or use a USB to Ethernet dongle

@malibyte: If the NIC on your mainboard was affected by the issue the guide addresses, it would have stopped working early in the release cycle of Monterey already (around 12.2 or so). So I think that's not the issue.

These settings which should work: https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-...enabling-the-intel-i225-v-ethernet-controller

And remove FakePCIID kexts for the I225 if you still use those. And since this is not a support thread for the I225V, I woukd suggest you create a new thread if this doesn't resolve your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortcommings I noticed about OCAT recently:
  • Drivers from OcBinaryData repo are not fetched so you won't have the latest version of the HFS+ driver. So put it into the database yourself. It's located under your home folder in .ocat (hidden folder). Press CMD+. (dot) to reveal it. The driver goes to: Database/EFI/OC/Drivers and devDatabase/EFI/OC/Drivers
  • Hidden files `.contentFlavour` and `.contentVisibility` introduced in OC 0.8.8. stored in EFI/Boot are excluded from sync when updating OpenCore so they are missing. So add them manually.
  • OCAT is hated hard on discord. So don't mention it there. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@malibyte: If the NIC on your mainboard was affected by the issue the guide addresses, it would have stopped working early in the release cycle of Monterey already (around 12.2 or so). So I think that's not the issue.

These settings which should work: https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-...enabling-the-intel-i225-v-ethernet-controller

And remove FakePCIID kexts for the I225 if you still use those. And since this is not a support thread for the I225V, I woukd suggest you create a new thread if this doesn't resolve your issue.
@5T33Z0: FakePCIID was never used on these builds. I went ahead and made the recommended changes on this machine under 12.6.6, then updated OC to 0.9.2. Easy-peasy. All worked well; after an image backup, did the upgrade to 13.4 Ventura. Working great at this time. Thanks very much. OCAT is one of the most useful Hackintosh tools I've used so far! Now to upgrade OC on the other machine, which is now running 13.4 Ventura *with* working NIC after making the needed changes with OCAT.

Your I225V probably needs a fix

The fix Instructions are outdated, you do need the SSDT, the missing Apple kext from Monterey, and a manual setting for the hardware of full duplex flow control... just did this on an MSI Z590 Meg Ace Gold Edition.

The fix Instructions are outdated, you do need the SSDT, the missing Apple kext from Monterey, and a manual setting for the hardware of full duplex flow control... just did this on an MSI Z590 Meg Ace Gold Edition.

Didi you notice that the guy is using a Z490 board? Just because the guide doesn't apply to YOUR hardware it doesn't mean that it's "outdated". As a matter of fact, it's not. You have a Z590 with a newer revision of the I225 NIC which doesn't have this issue. This guide uses a Z490 board, it says so right at to of the guide…so do the math…

I have both chipset boards and I am well aware of the differences, and 'Did' is spelled did not didi... since your spelling is not as good as your math. You might want to get the free version of Gramerly, 5T.

Does OCAT have the equivalent of OC Snapshot / OC Clean Snapshot that ProperTree has?

Back