Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

It looks like Z790 boards are going to support DDR4. It might be worth waiting a couple weeks and see who gets the first Z790 + 13900K hackintosh built.

Thanks for your share. Yea, but for example right now I am facing issues with Z590I VISION D:
1. Random freeze and reboot (Monitor screen looks like it was cracked before turn off :D)
2. Geekbench performance results are terrible: SC ~1500 MC ~7000, while has to be something like SC 1800 MC ~10000-11000. Even my previous hack with i7 10700K was better performance.
3. Airdrop, full handoff not working well, need to replace WiFi card with broadcom
4. Have problems with RGBFusion LED control.

Most likely I gonna buy ASUS Z690-I because of it's size and right now I see amazon price is 375€.

For CPU cooling, I'll use EKWB AIO cooler.

Thanks for your share. Yea, but for example right now I am facing issues with Z590I VISION D:
1. Random freeze and reboot (Monitor screen looks like it was cracked before turn off :D)
2. Geekbench performance results are terrible: SC ~1500 MC ~7000, while has to be something like SC 1800 MC ~10000-11000. Even my previous hack with i7 10700K was better performance.
3. Airdrop, full handoff not working well, need to replace WiFi card with broadcom
4. Have problems with RGBFusion LED control.

Most likely I gonna buy ASUS Z690-I because of it's size and right now I see amazon price is 375€.

For CPU cooling, I'll use EKWB AIO cooler.
1. Some Z590i vision D motherboards seem to have an incompatible Intel Ethernet 2.5G version. remove this kext and fix device properties. I made one system on this motherboard and couldn't run 2.5G ethernet with standard fixes. So I bought a 1Gb Ethernet USB adapter for this system.

EKWB is a good AIO water cooling system and I bought maybe five or seven of them, but now I have discovered a new hero. Arctic Cooling Freezer 360 or 420. Has a microfan on the water block that cools the VRM area. also this system gives the best result in tests with 12900k. the noise level also looks great. even 100% (1750rpm) is not like an airplane. I didn’t come across English tests of many water cooling systems that you can buy right now, but using the translation on YouTube, find a video in Russian where one person tested 8 water cooling systems (in 2022) and the Arctic was in the lead . better than Arctic was NZXT X73 or 63, but it is noticeably more expensive. if we talk about EKWB, then he was in the middle, next to the losers. and the saddest thing is that EKBW AIO does not support LGA 1700 out of the box. You must find the upgrade kit before installing. if your board is Asus Z690-I everything will be ok, but if your board is B660, or Gigabyte/MSI/Asrock boards, you are in trouble. in Europe, this may be a small problem. a few days and your 1700 upgrade kit is in your hands. but for me it was a quest every time I thought EKWB AIO was the best system and only bought it.

@starghost1100

Thanks for your opinion. I like ekweb because ir really work silent for me, also the design of EKWB AIO is much nicer from my perspective. I only think about Z690 / Z690i MB. The DDR4 vs DDR5 comparison makes sense but I have to buy new DDR4 anyway so price difference between them not that big. I'm using 64GB RAM for work so I guess DDR5 still be better choise if prices more less the same.

I'm considering going the Asus ProArt route with a i9-13900 CPU (upgrading from my i9-9900K on a Designaire).
One thing I am a little confused/concerned about is how to deal with E-Cores and P-Cores on these newfangled chips, and how it will affect overall performance for my primary use-case, which is DAW work.
Anyone here using this (or similar) setup with a DAW that can give me some insight into how well these chips perform with either all the chips enabled running at the core speed of the E-cores, vs disabling the E-Cores and just running with the P-Cores?
Sorry if its a dumb question. I have been a little out of the loop, just plugging away with the i9 for a while.

Sorry if its a dumb question. I have been a little out of the loop, just plugging away with the i9 for a while.
The answer is repeated a few times in the 257 pages of the original "Z690 chipset" thread. Let me summarize for you.
Since the Intel kernel does not allow for different classes of cores, the quirk ProvideCurrentCpuInfo tricks macOS into considering all threads (P-cores, their hyperthreads, and E-cores) as non-hyperthreaded cores. Scheduling may be non-optimal, and performance for the same workload may be inconsistent between runs. But it works. (Remember that the E-cores performs about as original Skylake cores—these are not quite lowly "Atom" cores.)
P-cores run at their own frequency. E-cores run at their own frequency. P and E share a ring bus to communicate; with E-cores enabled, the ring bus operates at a slightly lower frequency then when P-cores are active. So the absolute best single-core performance is when E-cores are disabled. But multi-core performance is much higher with P+E—even more so with Raptor Lake since the new CPUs come with more E-cores.

In my opinion, it makes no sense to buy an i9 to disable half of the threads…
It doesn't make sense either to buy an i9 for single-core performance: i7, or even some i5, with less cores have higher base frequency than high-core i9 parts.
If you're concerned about E-cores, get one of the CPUs with only P-cores—or stick with 9/10th generation.

The answer is repeated a few times in the 257 pages of the original.....
Maybe OP should making a sticky thread on the top to eliminate repeated questions and make it easy for people to find things, just my 2c.

Maybe OP should making a sticky thread on the top to eliminate repeated questions and make it easy for people to find things, just my 2c.
I think people get impatient and decide not to read the contents of the first post or that’s my guess. This subject and much more is covered there.

Nah, I should have looked around the rest of the site for an answer before asking. I have been coming here for the past few years and always just head straight for Casey's threads. I sometimes forget there's a whole other site beyond his threads.
Although I will say I did read the first couple posts in this thread and didn't see my specific question addressed.
More specifically, how the P-Core E-Core workarounds affected work in a DAW. But that's cool. Etriox summary was a pretty good one, and I think I'm just going to skip the new chips for now.

Nah, I should have looked around the rest of the site for an answer before asking. I have been coming here for the past few years and always just head straight for Casey's threads. I sometimes forget there's a whole other site beyond his threads.
Although I will say I did read the first couple posts in this thread and didn't see my specific question addressed.
More specifically, how the P-Core E-Core workarounds affected work in a DAW. But that's cool. Etriox summary was a pretty good one, and I think I'm just going to skip the new chips for now.
All good, the two Z690 setups I use are at the top of the list for systems I have built for best performers and stability. If your DAW works in your past build I doubt you would have any issues but as with anything hackintosh user experience will vary. If your current setup does what you want then there is no reason to upgrade.

Back