Contribute
Register

ASUS X99-Does it work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - Jesus, I thought you used an asus motherboard and this guy at micro center is telling my wife that it is on sale and its the best they have. She is sick of waiting around so I said just grab it. I am at $3000 without keyboard or monitor. Christ what did I get myself in to? There goes my tax return - lol. I had to take apart my last build and returned it all for $1700, so it isn't horrendous, but at the end of the day that's 3 large for a dual boot system. I will update will all of my parts when she gets home. Im working so and today was last day we could return stuff so I had her grab it all but I can return this stuff unopened tomorrow if you think I went off base. I have been checking periodically as they call me to make sure everything is compatible and so far, so good. Update coming soon...

I have no way to know if you went off base. I don't know what you purchased, but I do know that $3000 for an X99 build is pretty ridiculous. For example: MB $300.00, 5930k $575.00, 32 GB Ram $250.00, = $1125.00. Add a SSD and a Case and you're done... May have been wise to just keep the Z97 box.

yup. Should have never sent my wife. Honestly, it isn't the money that upsets me, it was the salesperson taking advantage of her. For some reason our phones weren't working and she went ahead and listened to this guy and got top of the line everything. So I am sending her back in a minute here. I am working and can't go. She got the Asus x99 deluxe and I think it is overkill and also I couldn't find one build that was 100% successful with that board. I was almost at the point of keeping it to save the headaches of going back, but I am not seeing too many success stories with it. What do you think of the gigabyte ga-x99 gaming LGA 2011-3? Still not sure what to do but like I said, not seeing any successes with Asus x99 deluxe. At this point, I will keep most of the stuff like crucial elite ram and 5930k processor. Just trying to figure out MOBO before I give myself more headaches. Plus, they have to have it in stock. I know they have a couple gigabytes and you used the gaming 5 mini i believe. So do you think to follow your guide that would make more sense? thanks

Ok - i got the gigabyte X99-Gaming 5P from microcenter and was able to exchange some things to get down to a much lower price point. So I have the i7 5930k and this board. That should be a bit closer to your specs. Do you think Yosemite or El Cap at first? I use el cap and like it very much on my mb pro. But I have seen better results with the x99 on yosemite. Is that fair to say? Rather use cap but stability over everything is my main goal.
Update: got board but it looked used. Two majorly bent connectors without black plastic casing around them. Looks like someone had used it and broken it. Obviously they packaged it so well no one knew. Really bummed bc I didn't notice it until I was basically about to install it in corsair 670t. Taking the day off tomorrow so I'll go grab a new one

@tdelprete

Did you get this working?

I have an X99 Sabertooth with a 5820 at the moment and I can't make it work.

I've gotten to the point where I did a minimal install on a B75 platform, pulled out the SSD and put it in the X99. I can boot if I boot of a USB stick and then choose to boot off the SSD, but there's no USB support whatsoever and I can't get any resolution beyond 1024 * 768 because the nvidia driver always defaults back to the onboard video driver, and I can't make it boot directly off the SSD without it crashing right off the bat.

My previous X87 with a 4770K was a real dawdle, as is the B75 with a 3570K, which took about 20 minutes to install and get running with full functionality.

It's getting so bad I'm contemplating a mac Pro :D

Pete

@kduvernay- I decided to follow your guide and followed it religiously. Went through all the steps and then installed clover to SSD. Tried to reboot straight to SSD (so I could install multibeast and nvidia alternate drivers) after that and no luck. Clover was there so I clicked on SSD and eventually I'd get stuck when it tried to load OS X. Either stuck at black screen or when I rebooted a circle with a line through it. So somehow it didn't install to the SSD or it won't load. Any ideas? Like I said, I didn't mix guides, I followed yours to a T. I am using the gigabyte x99 gaming 5P, i7 5930k, gigabyte gtx 980ti, Samsung EVO SSD (500gb-I have two but one was disconnected the whole time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back