Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Sabertooth | Core i7-3960x (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
seriously though do not update your bios I have to boot much more agressive power setting to be stable after I updated to the latest bios, it just came out, and truthfully even on windows I dont install any drivers except the ethernet, intel rapid storage is garbage, they all slow your computer down let windows and asus hardware work it out.... without the sloppy code and restrictions its alot different in osx im definitely grateful for the nvidia and asus support from everyone at tonymac86.com

mitchellk said:
aznewt said:
mitchellk

cool build!

i notice that you are using your new machine for lightroom. That is the primary use for mine (photo and video editing). i've been waiting to build a 6-core machine for some time and have had a sense that 6-core will improve lightroom usability. sounds like you have found that to be the case, right?

Both Lightroom and Final Cut work like beasts with the 6-core 12-threads.
Lightroom never performed this well or used all 4-cores properly on my first generation core i7. Tested Final Cut this morning, loads in 4 seconds.
In your OS installation tutorial there is no check mark near NullCPUPowerManagement.kext . Does your build work without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ? Please confirm!

netmatrix said:
mitchellk said:
aznewt said:
mitchellk

cool build!

i notice that you are using your new machine for lightroom. That is the primary use for mine (photo and video editing). i've been waiting to build a 6-core machine for some time and have had a sense that 6-core will improve lightroom usability. sounds like you have found that to be the case, right?

Both Lightroom and Final Cut work like beasts with the 6-core 12-threads.
Lightroom never performed this well or used all 4-cores properly on my first generation core i7. Tested Final Cut this morning, loads in 4 seconds.
In your OS installation tutorial there is no check mark near NullCPUPowerManagement.kext . Does your build work without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ? Please confirm!

Yes that's correct, have not installed that kext but will be trying soon to see if I can get power management and speed stepping functional. My build works 100% without it. Now that I have a stable build I'll be playing with different installation options on a separate hard drive. Any progress will be added to the original post.

leet1 said:
seriously though do not update your bios I have to boot much more agressive power setting to be stable after I updated to the latest bios, it just came out, and truthfully even on windows I dont install any drivers except the ethernet, intel rapid storage is garbage, they all slow your computer down let windows and asus hardware work it out.... without the sloppy code and restrictions its alot different in osx im definitely grateful for the nvidia and asus support from everyone at tonymac86.com

I agree, use the oob bios, works fine. If I know anything from 28 years of computing is that updating bios without specifically requiring a feature of a bios update is a no-go area. The age old saying always applies "if it ain't broke, DON'T fix it !!!"

mitchellk,

i was told the same thing, but i was dumb and updated and found out the hard way their is no rolling back on asus bios i tried flashing back and though asus suite and both methods wont accept the old file 0906 is the best bios version least bloat and restrictions

thought if you backup your bios prior to updating i was told you could rollback, i did the update through asus suite and it didnt give me the option to backup, it gave me the option to backup when i was refreshing 0906 but when i went to 11** it didnt even ask me to backup

also just wanted to say sleep works fine on 10.3 i usually am on off with my build but last night it was idleing and went into sleep mode as a normal mac would mitchellk i wanted to ask how did you get ram to boot 1600. im definitely at 1600 in bios

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 9.51.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 9.51.54 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 405
leet1 said:
thought if you backup your bios prior to updating i was told you could rollback, i did the update through asus suite and it didnt give me the option to backup, it gave me the option to backup when i was refreshing 0906 but when i went to 11** it didnt even ask me to backup

I'll see over the weekend if I can export my bios for you. Does Asus not have an archive? Their documentation implied you can switch back and forth between various bios versions using their Bios Flashback feature ??

As for Ram at 1600 Mhz, I just used XMP Profile 1 : 1600 Mhz, 1.5v, 8-8-8-24

mitchellk,

Someone posted a comment here about your specific build becoming "another hobby" because the combo is still new, which is what I don't want and can't afford. But, sounds like it has gone quite well for you.

I'm starting to think about a monitor. What do builders recommend for a monitor that is as least as good as the iMac 27" [and i don't even know that the iMac 27" is that good of a bench mark. It is just what i know.]

thanks in advance,

aznewt said:
mitchellk,

Someone posted a comment here about your specific build becoming "another hobby" because the combo is still new, which is what I don't want and can't afford. But, sounds like it has gone quite well for you.

I'm starting to think about a monitor. What do builders recommend for a monitor that is as least as good as the iMac 27" [and i don't even know that the iMac 27" is that good of a bench mark. It is just what i know.]

thanks in advance,

This build has gone incredibly well, full working machine, working so well I have little desire to tinker with anything.

Look at NEC monitors, one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back