Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! Please help me test my guide by following the steps exactly as written and letting me know if there are any problems at any point. Or if you find something I can clarify better.

Also, I would be VERY THANKFUL if you could take a picture of the SATA ports from the side of the RIVE board. An edge-on picture. I'd like to show a picture outlining which are ASMedia and which are Intel, but I can't take that picture without removing my motherboard. There doesn't seem to be a picture like this anywhere that I can use. I need a picture like this one from vr-zone, but obviously without the watermark:

edge_pic_vrzone.jpg

Thanks for your help making the guide better!

Sure mate. I'll take a photo for you. Also you didnt tell me which os should i install first? Thanks.

I have borrowed a 680 for testing and the new design is definitely tuned for gaming. You want the 580 or C2070 (or both) for CUDA.

I'm sure the 680 will be fine; it's just not as good as the 580 for CUDA. The 680 is better for gaming though.

As a reminder for everyone: Check out the highlighted thread posts at the end of my guide (just before the change log):

HIGHLIGHTED THREAD POSTS:
Applying Thermal Compound
Overclocking Safely
How To Locate Home Directory on Striped Disk Pair
SATA Performance and the ASM1061
Upgrade Procedure
If You Want To Use Intel RAID Mode (For Windows)
Windows 7 Dual Boot Procedure
What is this EBIOS read error?

Heheh i think we didnt understand each other. I know how to setup unibeast. My question is; for multiboot, do i have to first install windows to one hdd and then install ML to other hdd or first install ML to one hdd then instal windows on other HDD =) I am asking the order =)

OH! Thanks for the clarification.

It doesn't matter the order for installation, as long as they are on separate drives. The key is to make sure the OS X drive is disconnected while running the Windows installer; or Windows may goof up your OS X drive. It also has a tendency to decide to put its bootloader on a different drive (say the OS X one), which will then screw windows when you re-format it for OS X.

So, just one drive connected to the system when installing Windows and you should be good. As soon as installation is complete you may connect as many drives as you wish.

Okay got it now. Thanks mate. One last thing, you are saying " Ensure the hard drive you will install to is connected to one of the 6 SATA ports on the Intel bus (NOT the two far left red ASMedia ports). Or use a PCI SSD like mine." in the guide. I have a ssd not PCI SSD and i want to install osx to my ssd so which port should i plug my normal ssd? White intel ports? I have also two seagate hdd's . I want to use one of it for windows and one of it for downloads. So should i plug them also to white ports? In the end are you saying that "do not use asmedia red ports whatever hdd, ssd you are using" ? Thanks.

drive_connections.jpg

Connect your SSD to one of the 6Gbit ports in the picture using one of the "white" connectors. This will give you up to about 500MB/s transfer rate depending on SSD. Connect your hard drives to any of the 3Gbit ports using the "black" connectors. These will give you up to around 250MB/s transfer rate, and no hard drive will give you that much speed anyway.

The reason to avoid the other ports is they are on a secondary ASMedia chip. Basically it's like you added a PCIe SATA card to your system. Unfortunately the ASMedia chip doesn't have enough bandwidth; so maxes out around 350MB/s. So you wouldn't want your SSD on those. Also, since they are not Intel, they may need drivers in your various operating systems. Also, I even the manual says not to connect Optical drives to the ASMedia ports I think. Best to only use them data and secondary drives to avoid boot hassles later. The two eSATA ports on the back of the motherboard are also ASMedia.

More info here:

SATA Performance and the ASM1061

If you get a chance; send me a picture like the one above from your motherboard. I want to include all this info in my guide, but don't like using the one from that other site. I'd prefer using a picture I know I'm OK to use ;-)

Thanks for the information. Now i got it =D

Attachments

• sataPorts.jpg
    sataPorts.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 400
Your build doesn't work for me:

Rampage IV Extreme
3960X CPU
nVidia 560Ti
64GB G.Skill 2.4Ghz RAM

My guess would be the nVidia 560Ti is the culprit. The 6xx series is supported as-is; but you'll need to do some tricks to make the 5xx series work. PunkNugget has the right idea. He is more familiar with those cards. I'll test with a 580 next week; but that will be the first 5xx series card I will have ever tried.

Is it failing on the first boot into OS X from the hard drive (the last step) by chance? We will need more info (post pictures).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back