Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG GL551JK fully working on Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes RehabMan i read it, but i thought that nvidia card was not detected.. it shows as pci-e card like apple notebooks. So answers is not btw.

The FAQ is clear on dual-GPU switched configurations (like Nvidia optimus)... the discrete card is not supported in those scenarios.

You can disable it with ACPI to save power. Read the FAQ carefully.

The FAQ is clear on dual-GPU switched configurations (like Nvidia optimus)... the discrete card is not supported in those scenarios.

You can disable it with ACPI to save power. Read the FAQ carefully.

Thank's RehabMan! Your/and page tutos and guides found very helpful!

Nevermind. I have it figured out. Will start a different post for my issue.

Last edited:
ASUS ROG GL551JK fully working on Mavericks / El Capitan

EDIT: Updated laptop to 10.11 El Capitan with all the same drivers and it works.
Testing now, first boot after install... but all that worked before seems working now. :)
Brief notes - attempted update from running install of 10.9.5 but it wouldn't boot to the "Install OS" option.
Steps were basically to first update to the latest Clover, then the RtVariables for SIP 0x3 mode, and I copied all my custom kexts to the EFI partition in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ before attempting the in-place upgrade. When that didn't work, I used the Unibeast 6.0 USB drive method, booted to that with same Cover options manually entered.
More testing now...
Played some Hotline Miami - graphics and sound are all good.
Seems that the LCD brightness control is gone. Full brightness all the time, even on battery.
Sleep and wake worked. I tested by using Apple menu option to put it to sleep, then waited for it to go to sleep (still takes a long time to sleep) then closed the lid. Woke it by opening the lid to test that part.
Pretty good so far but for the brightness hurting my eyes at 12:26 AM.
Multi-touch trackpad still working also.

This is a placeholder (sort-of) post, and later with more time I should have a decent how-to guide written.

Currently typing this on 10.9.0 using the amazing ASUS ROG GL551JK gaming laptop. Everything works with the single exception of keyboard backlights at the moment. One incompatible thing was the wifi/bluetooth card of course. I bought an Atheros 9280 PCIe half-mini card from Amazon for $17 and it worked with no modifications to anything. Lost bluetooth as a result of that but don't need it anyway.
EDIT: forgot to mention the SD Card Reader doesn't work - haven't found any working driver for that.

Laptop has Core i7 4710HQ 2.5GHz CPU with Intel HD 4600 graphics, 12GB DDR3 1600 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB (only for Windows gaming - Optimus graphics)

I used the latest as of January 2015 Unibeast to make the USB installer, then latest Clover for the UEFI boot loader on the internal drive after installation. Patched mach_kernel is necessary, see the RehabMan post about locked MSR's etc:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-locked-msrs-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq.html
From that guide I used the 2 patches for the 10.9.X kernel.

Will update this later after I do the latest Mavericks combo updates or make a new post with a how-to guide as I mentioned earlier - this is like a placeholder to help potential buyers I guess.

As for the latest OS, Yosemite, I have not attempted and I don't plan to, because it looks like a bunch of stupid "flat UI" garbage to me and I see no real benefits to the "upgrade" to Yosemite.

Here's a paste of my original hardware / device ID's notepad:

PS/2 Touchpad, ASUS ETD0108
Compatible ID's: SYN0A00, SYN0002, PNP0F03/0F13/0F12

Keyboard Device, ATK3001
Compatible ID: PNP030B

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M, 10DE:1391

Intel HD Graphics 4600, 8086:0416

Atheros AR9485WB-EG, 168C:0032

Realtek RTL8168B/8111 Ethernet, 10EC:8168

Realtek PCIe Card Reader, 10EC:5287

Intel 8 Series SATA AHCI Controller, 8086:8C03

HID compliant wireless radio controls (?), ATK4002

Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth 4.0, USB VID 13D3 PID 3402

Intel USB 3.0 XHCI, 8086:8C31

Intel 8 / C220 Series USB EHCI, 8086:8C26

High Def Audio Controller, 8086:8C20

Realtek High Def Audio, 10EC:0668

i installed sierra on asus rog g551jk. but my wifi, audio, keyboard and touch pad, graphics brightness and all are not working. how do i do a clean installation and how do i get proper driver for my pc ? thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back