Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 - Guide: Extract & Edit your own DSDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, will give it a try on a new DSDT from bios 3404 next week :)

PLZ, could you post the list of special/multibeast kexts used to achieve your computer ? are you on 10.8.3 ? thanks

ok, thank you !

Thanks, will give it a try on a new DSDT from bios 3404 next week :)

PLZ, could you post the list of special/multibeast kexts used to achieve your computer ? are you on 10.8.3 ? thanks

Job done, only 30 minutes to achieve and verify .) Great, i finally got audio ! you've made one happy ! :clap:

Followed your advices here http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...me-core-i7-3930k-successful-3.html#post566835
Had to find how to tune voodoosync.plist for 6 or 12 cores, thought i messed the work, but no, for the cpu work, everything is ok...Geekbench scores 23xxx hyperthreaded, 18xxx without hyp.

Finaly, some residencial bugs, like my USB3 HUB that freezes the computer... for that, i'll open my own thread to get help :oops:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-...-98-working-re-iv-usb3-issues.html#post579010

Thanks again !

Job done, only 30 minutes to achieve and verify .) Great, i finally got audio ! you've made one happy ! :clap:

Followed your advices here http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...me-core-i7-3930k-successful-3.html#post566835
Had to find how to tune voodoosync.plist for 6 or 12 cores, thought i messed the work, but no, for the cpu work, everything is ok...Geekbench scores 23xxx hyperthreaded, 18xxx without hyp.

Finaly, some residencial bugs, like my USB3 HUB that freezes the computer... for that, i'll open my own thread to get help :oops:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-...-98-working-re-iv-usb3-issues.html#post579010

Thanks again !

You're welcome :)

The developer of VoodooTSCSync.kext has specified that you need to edit the info.plist inside the kext to to fully work with any CPU that has more or less than 2 threads (Core 2 Duo, which is NOT HyperThreaded). The number in the info.plist starts at 0 instead of 1 and counts up. The default number in the plist is 1 which actually equals 2 threads. In simpler terms subtract 1 from your total number of threads and use that number in the plist. For a 3930k you have 6 cores. Hyperthreading doubles that number to actually give you 12 usable threads. If you are using HyperThreading, counting 12 starting with 0 as the first number gives you the number "11" which actually equals 12 threads to the kext.

Download VoodooTSCSync.kext.
Right click VoodooTSCSync.kext and choose Show Package Contents.
Go to /Contents/info.plist.
Open info.plist with TextEdit.
Find and change IOCPUNumber from:

<key>IOCPUNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>

To:

<key>IOCPUNumber</key>
<integer>11</integer>

Save.
Close finder window and install your newly edited VoodooTSCSync.kext

Note: Most 3930K users that are using this kext have left the IOCPUNumber at at the default value of 1 and haven't noticed any adverse effects. Even if you edit the IOCPUNumber correctly, the VoodooTSCSync only shows to be loaded to 1 thread by the IORegistry. However it moves from the 1st thread to the last thread, when set correctly. I prefer to set everything properly even if I don't notice a change by doing so.

Thanks for the guide! Is there any particular reason you left out the following from your tutorial?

Now add to Method (_L0D

Notify (\_SB.PCI0.HDEF, 0x02)

Thanks for the guide! Is there any particular reason you left out the following from your tutorial?

Now add to Method (_L0D

I do need to add that to the instructions. Thanks

Thank you for the incredibly detailed post Shiloh! I've gone through DSDT creation a few times now and I have not been able to get my IORegistry to show the updates the modified DSDT should be creating. Please see example of 2 screenshots (I can PM you multiple if that helps).

Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 1.47.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-06-17 at 1.53.42 PM.png

Also please see attached my DSDT compiles saved as the .dsl file format for each step that I have completed. View attachment Peter_DSDTs.zip

My first DSDT created a kernel panic - I ws able to boot using my SUSE Linux partition and delete the DSDT file which allowed me to successfuly reboot ignoring caches (where I've been stuck for a week).

In this second DSDT build
View attachment rebootcycle_DSDT.zip
I included the HDEF edit listed here in the thread:

Now add to Method (_L0D

And now all boot options are simply rebooting (-v, -f, -F, -x). Even after deleting the DSDT file still reboot after this screenshot comes up:

20130617_214018_kernelcache.jpg

Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated, I am building a Linux / Windows / Mac OSX box for post workflows utilizing Nuke, DaVinci Resolve, FCP, Avid, CS6 etc and this box will be a huge help with that work!

Thank you for the incredibly detailed post Shiloh! I've gone through DSDT creation a few times now and I have not been able to get my IORegistry to show the updates the modified DSDT should be creating.

My first DSDT created a kernel panic - I ws able to boot using my SUSE Linux partition and delete the DSDT file which allowed me to successfuly reboot ignoring caches (where I've been stuck for a week).

And now all boot options are simply rebooting (-v, -f, -F, -x). Even after deleting the DSDT file still reboot after this screenshot comes up:

Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated, I am building a Linux / Windows / Mac OSX box for post workflows utilizing Nuke, DaVinci Resolve, FCP, Avid, CS6 etc and this box will be a huge help with that work!

Not sure what's going on for you, but the boot flags "DSDT=No" (boot without DSDT, same effect as deleting your DSDT), "-f" (ignore Kext cache), and "UseKernelCache=No" are your friends while diagnosing. NOTE: "-F" with a capitalized F will ignore all other boot flags you have added to your org.chameleon.boot.plist! Also don't use the "" when entering these flags. It doesn't sound like a DSDT issue to me but booting "-v" and snapping a photo of the screen when it freezes will aid your diagnosis as well. The errors listed when the text stops scrolling are probably the cause of your boot malfunctions. The DSDT is just a copy of the bios that you can modify and tell the boot loader to read instead of the bios on the mobo's chip. Booting DSDT=No just tells the bootloader to read the unmodified BIOS from the mobo again without having to delete the DSDT. Nothing in this process will modify the actual BIOS in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back