Contribute
Register

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Artix,
I just finished installing the RIV Black. I did not have to reinstall Mavericks, but my bluetooth does not work. (It used to work with RIV Extreme). Can you please tell me if I need to uninstall the previous kext I installed to get the bluetooth to work in RIVE? And then edit the IOBluetoothfamily.kext? Plus what is IO521 that you mentioned in your post? Sorry I am a noob.

Hey Jaraheel,

Other than a hacked kernel for ivb, networking works with intel1000.kext from multibeast (unless you want WOL, I just bought a 8168b instead). Onboard Bluetooth works by adding device id to iobluetoothfamily (can be flaky, so used a io521) wireless was a device Id addition to io80211family kext. Audio works with alc1150 kext from multibeast. Sleep/Wake is fine (I don't remember if I used Acpi patched kext for anything?) minimal stepping works with SpeedStep and Turbo disabled, with C1E enabled in Eufi.

Sorry it's a muddy response, I'm at work! :p Let me know if need me to elaborate, and I'd be happy to help! :)

arctix: did you follow the RIVE install instructions of one of the golden builds on this board to get RIVBE to work? did it work with the delivered BIOS?
i already have mavericks running on my MVG, but hadn't tried on the new board yet. any help appreciated.

-dh22r-

Hi dh22r,
I have Mavericks up and running on RIVBE. Everything onboard works. (where as previously I couldn't get the on board sound to work). Yup, follow the instructions for RIVE and then as Arctix described, just add the device and vendor IDs to the respective kexts and you're done. Personally I use SSDT as opposed to DSDTs as they perhaps are independent of the BIOS version.

Hey Guys,

Glad to hear there are other successful RIVB builds out there. I got my system running by following the RIVE golden build, and now have updated to Mavericks. Ethernet has always worked out of the box for me w/o the need of any kext editing or multibeast configuring. I am however, having a little bit of trouble with my bluetooth, and wifi. I researched how to add device IDs to the kext files by finding this link...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aJUbue0WF6U&desktop_uri=/watch?v=aJUbue0WF6U

When I select bluetooth, I see "no information found." And when I select wifi, I just get a list of "software versions," no device ID.

Could you expand on your process of getting these components working? Thanks a lot!

Ps, for anyone else who stumbles upon this later, the Realteck ALC1150 did NOT work for me in Mountain Lion, but is working just fine in Mavericks. Also, for anyone who updates from ML to Mavericks, be aware that MultiBeast 6.0 may over-write your org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I got a faulty start after updating from ML and using MultiBeast 6.0 and thought I broke my kext settings. Turns out I just had to add npci=0x2000 back in my kernel flag..

This also gave me my first successful boot, it was slightly different than the Golden Build tutorial:
PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No -v -f

Hi Artix,
I just finished installing the RIV Black. I did not have to reinstall Mavericks, but my bluetooth does not work. (It used to work with RIV Extreme). Can you please tell me if I need to uninstall the previous kext I installed to get the bluetooth to work in RIVE? And then edit the IOBluetoothfamily.kext? Plus what is IO521 that you mentioned in your post? Sorry I am a noob.

Hey all!

Wow, a lot has gone on since last time I was on! Sorry work has been crazy.

Good job to those who all have a working RIVBE hack!

I only have a gtx570 at the moment which worked OOB, my next upgrade will be 2 x gtx 770's. Haven't tried hdmi audio, as I'm using optical audio. Which from the board works perfectly.

Bluetooth was a real noodle scratcher. I don't fully remember my steps, but I had it working by adding device id to the broadcom kext in iobluetoothfamily (I'll retrace my steps when I can and post an update). It was a lot of back and forth between IORegExplorer, Safari and Kext editing, lol! Upgrading my USB kexts messed up bluetooth somehow and I couldn't get it back. The gbu521 is just a bluetooth dongle, many others will work too, just research a little before purchase. If anyone gets a solid fix for bluetooth post away! :)

Wifi is a part of the same chipset as the LAN or bluetooth. It's Broadcom, if you use ioregexplorer and look up "bcm" you will find device id's at them to the bcm kext in io80211family kext. I'll try elaborate more when tomorrow. It's late here! :)

Install worked with BIOS at optimized defaults. Though, if you get kernel panic or freezing during boot (ie missing bluetooth controller transport), try turning off Virtualisation Technology in Bios, add dart=0 to your bootflags. There's also a kext you can install to fix this, if you need vt-d for windows.

Interesting to know about ALC1150 not working on Mountain Lion! I wonder if it's because it's ROG's refreshed version?

I didn't follow any specific guide for my install, as the board was too new and I had researched all of the onboard components before my board arrived. I'm on a 4930k, so I knew a hacked kernel was needed. Everything else was pretty much knowing onboard component models and device ids.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback here, it's great to hear how everyone is getting on!

Merry Christmas!

Edit: I believe the Bluetooth and Wifi is a combo, from the bcm43XX family.

There are a few websites touching on this install. I'll be trying to reinstall my bluetooth tomorrow.

I'll let you know how I go :)

Edit: I believe the Bluetooth and Wifi is a combo, from the bcm43XX family.

There are a few websites touching on this install. I'll be trying to reinstall my bluetooth tomorrow.

I'll let you know how I go :)

Okay, I'm back with onboard bluetooth working.

Steps:

ENSURE YOU HAVE ALREADY INSTALLED THE UNIVERSAL USB3 KEXT FROM MULTIBEAST

I have noticed that a reinstall of this kext may affect bluetooth install, so ensure its up and running first.

Be sure to delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist BEFORE attempting install.

1. Find vendor & device ID (I used windows device manager, as I couldnt find it with IOregExplorer)
My vendor and device ID is: VID_0b05 (decimal: 2821) PID_17CF (decimal: 6095)

2. Copy IOBluetoothFamily.kext to desktop

3. IOBluetoothFamily.kext -> Show Contents ->

4. Navigate to -> Contents\Plugins\BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext

5. BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext -> Show Contents

6. Navigate to Contents\Info.plist

7. Open Info.plist in text editor (or plist editor, though I use text edit to copy from another property entry)

8a. Search "MediaLink BT4.0"

8b. I'm unsure if the location matters, but if you are particular - ensure the new entry is between:

The searched entry:

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - MediaLink BT4.0 Adapter</key>

AND the following entry:

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - Targus</key>

9. Create new Entry CHANGE VENDOR AND PRODUCT ID BELOW! (I think I copied mine from the entry above) Here is my example:

<key>BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController - MediaLink BT4.0 Adapter</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>6095</integer> <--- PRODUCT ID - CHANGE TO SUIT YOUR PRODUCT (And delete this text ;)
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>2821</integer> <--- VENDOR ID - CHANGE TO SUIT YOUR VENDOR (And delete this text ;)
</dict>

(In reality, maaaaaybe the product id could be different - but vendor id should all be the same for rampage iv black)

10. Save Info.Plist

11. Drag modified IOBluetoothFamily.kext into Kext Utility (to ensure permissions are set and caches are updated)

12. Reboot and head into BIOS

13. Navigate to Advanced -> USB Configuration.

14. Enable EHCI Hand-Off

15. Save and Reboot

16. Enjoy bluetooth :)

Let me know how you all go :)

Thanks for responding Arctix!

I'm going to try and get bluetooth up and running today with your suggested route.

I'm also going to begin modifying my kexts to get wifi running, thanks for suggesting IORegistryExplorer. I've been using "System Info" and have now identified the Broadcom device thanks to your help. There is one bit that is a little curious though. By searching "bcm" in IORegistry I get a completely different device ID from when I use System Info. I've attached a screen grab to show this.

I'm gunna try both and see what works, but thanks again for the response! Cant wait to start seeing more RIVBE builds!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 9.34.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 9.34.45 AM.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 419
Awh crap! Can someone help me? I've got myself stuck in a kernel panic and can no longer boot after modifying the io80211family.kext.

I've followed this guide to remove it, but I'm still stuck.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...er-mode-and-how-to-use-it-to-uninstall-kexts/

The backtrace is as follows:
Com.apple.driver.airportbrcm43224
Dependency: io80211family(600.34)
Dependency: ionetworkingfamily(3.2)
Dependency: iopcifamily(2.8)

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

Problem solved. I installed windows, deleted the kext from within there and was able to boot back in.

Still no wifi tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back