Contribute
Register

Asus Radeon HD 5450 Silent and Mountain Lion w/ Dual Monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Mod.

Are you using 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes'?

If so, it looks like it might be worth looking into your boot loader, if you're not able to force 'Eulemur' or any other personalities at boot then you might not get vary far with the rest of your options.

For now what i'm going to need is the following info:
1.) The version of Chimera are you currently using.
2.) A copy of your org.chameleon.Boot.plist - to check that we aren't missing something minor or silly. Happens to me all the time.
3.) A screenshot or text dump of your Graphics/Display values from Apple System Profiler (The one displaying Radeon HD 5000 etc.)
4.) If you have a Windows volume or partition, a ROM/BIN dump for your graphics card using TechPowerUp's GPU-Z. This will help get more accurate SystemID, VendorID and RevisionID for your card and get maybe Chimera recognising your card a little better.

That's all for now.

I'm currently installing my 5450 into my Mountain Lion build. Taking a bit longer than usual, because I had a boot sector error that needed sorting out. Oh, the joys of Hackintoshing ;)

Chat soon.

I can tell you that I had GraphicsEnabler=No, but did give it a go with Yes which put me back to 1 monitor. I am away from my Hackintosh at the moment, so I will see about getting you that info when I get home.

I do have a Windows partition, but somewhere along the line of trying to get ML working it stopped working, so I'm not quite sure what went amiss there.

I can tell you that I had GraphicsEnabler=No, but did give it a go with Yes which put me back to 1 monitor. I am away from my Hackintosh at the moment, so I will see about getting you that info when I get home.

I do have a Windows partition, but somewhere along the line of trying to get ML working it stopped working, so I'm not quite sure what went amiss there.

Okay, that makes more sense.
With GE=No you're almost always going to get 'RadeonFrameBuffer' (i.e. No Chess, DVD Player, but better Multi-Display functionality etc.) as GraphicsEnabler is responsible for assigning personalities based on your card's Device & Vendor IDs.

When you boot with GE=Yes, what does Apple System Profiler and IOReg give you?

I know the Windows/GPU-Z route is a bit of a rash, but it's the best way that I know of getting the right Vendor ID and such for Chimera to use... System Profiler in ML gives less than it did in older OS X versions. Besides, that GPU Bios ROM file from GPU-Z will make custom editing your frame buffer personalities possible later... which it may just come to.

Chat later... (or tomorrow - i think I am quite few timezones ahead of you.)

Hi, Mod.

Are you using 'GraphicsEnabler=Yes'?

If so, it looks like it might be worth looking into your boot loader, if you're not able to force 'Eulemur' or any other personalities at boot then you might not get vary far with the rest of your options.

For now what i'm going to need is the following info:
1.) The version of Chimera are you currently using.
2.) A copy of your org.chameleon.Boot.plist - to check that we aren't missing something minor or silly. Happens to me all the time.
3.) A screenshot or text dump of your Graphics/Display values from Apple System Profiler (The one displaying Radeon HD 5000 etc.)
4.) If you have a Windows volume or partition, a ROM/BIN dump for your graphics card using TechPowerUp's GPU-Z. This will help get more accurate SystemID, VendorID and RevisionID for your card and get maybe Chimera recognising your card a little better.

That's all for now.

I'm currently installing my 5450 into my Mountain Lion build. Taking a bit longer than usual, because I had a boot sector error that needed sorting out. Oh, the joys of Hackintoshing ;)

Chat soon.

1) Chimera v1.11.1 r1394
2) My org.chameleon.Boot.plist
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Eulemur</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

3) Graphics panel screenshot
ScreenShot2012-08-31at105812PM.png

4) I'll have to work on the Windows install, see if I can get it going

Hopefully this info will shed some light on things here.

I've made some headway with some trial and error. With Shrike I was able to get GraphicsEnabler=Yes to work with dual monitors. Chess/TextEdit still don't work. Also trying Langur I got an interesting result, which was it showed up in IORegistryExplorer by name, but unfortunately only worked with 1 monitor.

So far I've tried Eulemur/Shrike/Hoolock/Orangutan/Langur/Zonalis/Vervet so far. Going to keep going through the rest of the list and see if I can find a winner.

I've made some headway with some trial and error. With Shrike I was able to get GraphicsEnabler=Yes to work with dual monitors. Chess/TextEdit still don't work. Also trying Langur I got an interesting result, which was it showed up in IORegistryExplorer by name, but unfortunately only worked with 1 monitor.

So far I've tried Eulemur/Shrike/Hoolock/Orangutan/Langur/Zonalis/Vervet so far. Going to keep going through the rest of the list and see if I can find a winner.

Thanks for the info. It's good start...

So from what i can tell from the info you've supplied thus far:

1.) Chimera 1.11.1 "should" be automatically assigning the 'Eulemur' frame buffer when you boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. However, what it might be doing, is showing as "ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series" in Apple System Profiler after you boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.
Attached is a edited (ati.c) version of Chimera 'boot' file to help Mac OS X identify you card as "AMD Radeon HD 5450 series"
This is mostly cosmetic, but will at least show some kind of progress. Most importantly is that it should also automatically assign 'Eulemur', without the need to add 'AtiConfig=Eulemur' in your plist or at the boot prompt.
Simply back up your existing 'boot' file at the root of your Macintosh HD. I usually just rename my existing 'boot' file to something like 'boot.bak' leave it in place and copy the new one next to it. This makes recovering a lot easier should something go horribly wrong. NOTE: Your current 'boot' file might be hidden. The 'ShowAllFiles.app' will make finding it and renaming it easier.

Download here: View attachment boot.zip

2.) Your 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist' looks about right. The only things I can spot from my side are that slightly out of place are:
• 'npci=0x3000' seems to missing from your <key>Kernel Flags</key> string.
I'm not sure if you've removed it for any reasons or if it has any baring on your current issue, but it shouldn't hurt to have it in there. My suggestion is to also add in the '-f' flag. this will force Chimera to read ALL your kext files and recent kext file edits to kext files by temporarily bypassing your kext cache file. Had a problem months ago when editing certain info.plist files seemed to make no difference after rebooting. It turned out that Mac OS X was reading the kext cache files and ignoring any of my edits, DUH! Using 'Kext Wizard.app' to rebuild your system kext cache after every info.plist edit and kext install is a VERY good idea.

• Your 'GraphicsEnabler' string is set to 'No'. I would set this to 'Yes' by default. Reason one, is that you you'll have no luck trying to get your card recognised without it set to 'Yes' and reason two is that your frame buffer will constantly default to 'RadeonFrameBuffer' with it set 'No'.
You can always manually override this at the Chimera boot prompt if you're getting blank screens, or when you need to get back into a working monitor to do additional edits and things.

So here's what I would edit/put into your 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist' for now:

Code:
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 -f</string>
	<string>Yes</string>

3.) Your Graphics/Displays panel screenshot implies that you booted with GraphicsEnabler=No. If you set this to 'Yes' from now on, and have a working monitor, you should now be seeing your card recognised as "AMD Radeon HD 5450 series". This is a good sign, because we should now be able to sort out any multiple monitor support issues.
I can also see that your Monitor is a 'HP 2211', and assume that you wish to have multiple monitor support main on your DVI and VGA connectors?
As Fisle said before, VGA is a little trickier than the others, but we should be able to get it working with your DVI too. The only problem I have experienced is getting it to hotplug natively. If you boot with both VGA and DVI connected to monitors, you should be able to get dual-display support by hex editing the 'Eulemur' personality in the 'ATI ATI5000Controller' file. But for that we HAVE to have your graphics card's BIOS ROM file from GPU-Z in Windows.

Let's see how things go with these for now...

Thanks for the info. It's good start...

So from what i can tell from the info you've supplied thus far:

1.) Chimera 1.11.1 "should" be automatically assigning the 'Eulemur' frame buffer when you boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. However, what it might be doing, is showing as "ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series" in Apple System Profiler after you boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.
Attached is a edited (ati.c) version of Chimera 'boot' file to help Mac OS X identify you card as "AMD Radeon HD 5450 series"
This is mostly cosmetic, but will at least show some kind of progress. Most importantly is that it should also automatically assign 'Eulemur', without the need to add 'AtiConfig=Eulemur' in your plist or at the boot prompt.
Simply back up your existing 'boot' file at the root of your Macintosh HD. I usually just rename my existing 'boot' file to something like 'boot.bak' leave it in place and copy the new one next to it. This makes recovering a lot easier should something go horribly wrong. NOTE: Your current 'boot' file might be hidden. The 'ShowAllFiles.app' will make finding it and renaming it easier.

Download here: View attachment 30240

2.) Your 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist' looks about right. The only things I can spot from my side are that slightly out of place are:
• 'npci=0x3000' seems to missing from your <key>Kernel Flags</key> string.
I'm not sure if you've removed it for any reasons or if it has any baring on your current issue, but it shouldn't hurt to have it in there. My suggestion is to also add in the '-f' flag. this will force Chimera to read ALL your kext files and recent kext file edits to kext files by temporarily bypassing your kext cache file. Had a problem months ago when editing certain info.plist files seemed to make no difference after rebooting. It turned out that Mac OS X was reading the kext cache files and ignoring any of my edits, DUH! Using 'Kext Wizard.app' to rebuild your system kext cache after every info.plist edit and kext install is a VERY good idea.

• Your 'GraphicsEnabler' string is set to 'No'. I would set this to 'Yes' by default. Reason one, is that you you'll have no luck trying to get your card recognised without it set to 'Yes' and reason two is that your frame buffer will constantly default to 'RadeonFrameBuffer' with it set 'No'.
You can always manually override this at the Chimera boot prompt if you're getting blank screens, or when you need to get back into a working monitor to do additional edits and things.

So here's what I would edit/put into your 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist' for now:

Code:
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 -f</string>
	<string>Yes</string>

3.) Your Graphics/Displays panel screenshot implies that you booted with GraphicsEnabler=No. If you set this to 'Yes' from now on, and have a working monitor, you should now be seeing your card recognised as "AMD Radeon HD 5450 series". This is a good sign, because we should now be able to sort out any multiple monitor support issues.
I can also see that your Monitor is a 'HP 2211', and assume that you wish to have multiple monitor support main on your DVI and VGA connectors?
As Fisle said before, VGA is a little trickier than the others, but we should be able to get it working with your DVI too. The only problem I have experienced is getting it to hotplug natively. If you boot with both VGA and DVI connected to monitors, you should be able to get dual-display support by hex editing the 'Eulemur' personality in the 'ATI ATI5000Controller' file. But for that we HAVE to have your graphics card's BIOS ROM file from GPU-Z in Windows.

Let's see how things go with these for now...

Just wanted to check back in here, didn't forget about this thread, just had some big time difficulties getting through the steps.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get Windows to function properly dual booting. I know it worked previous to installing ML, but now I just can't seem to get it going. I reinstalled W7 and it messed up my machine for a good while.

I did install the boot file, didn't notice any difference. I added npci=0x3000, but the -f caused my system to no longer boot up, so I reverted it.

Do you know if the graphics card Windows info might be able to be attained through Parallels? I was going to see if maybe I could get Windows booting through Parallels, since I haven't had any luck with Windows. I'm sure some might wonder, but I'm not a Windows guy at all, so I didn't even have it installed previously on my hardware, so I'm thinking that might be part of my issue.

One thing that crossed my mind is whether I should edit my DTST? I'm not sure how that works at all, but was wondering if that might help here.

Just wanted to check back in here, didn't forget about this thread, just had some big time difficulties getting through the steps.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get Windows to function properly dual booting. I know it worked previous to installing ML, but now I just can't seem to get it going. I reinstalled W7 and it messed up my machine for a good while.

I did install the boot file, didn't notice any difference. I added npci=0x3000, but the -f caused my system to no longer boot up, so I reverted it.

Do you know if the graphics card Windows info might be able to be attained through Parallels? I was going to see if maybe I could get Windows booting through Parallels, since I haven't had any luck with Windows. I'm sure some might wonder, but I'm not a Windows guy at all, so I didn't even have it installed previously on my hardware, so I'm thinking that might be part of my issue.

One thing that crossed my mind is whether I should edit my DTST? I'm not sure how that works at all, but was wondering if that might help here.

No problemo, dude. I have some personal drama on my side that's eating into my internet time, so please don't panic if I happen to vanish for a few days.

But now to business...

So the aim of the boot file is to get Chimera to assign the Eulemur profile to your card in OS X at boot. This won't necessarily give you acceleration or even a picture on your screen just yet. In fact you may have to turn on 'Screen Sharing' to access your desktop, as the likelihood of of getting a blank screen it rather high. But i've found this to be a kind of good thing because it's generally evidence that things are happening behind the scenes that you want to happen – i.e. QE/CI should be loading as should OpenGL and the other goodness that allow things like DVD Player, Chess and GPU accelerated games and such, the only problem is getting the card to send this info to the right display connectors and get the signal through to your display. These we can always sort out later.

But for now, with the new boot file and GE=Yes:
1.) Are you able to get any display? Even just one monitor?
2.) If so is your card being recognised as an "AMD Radeon 5450" in Apple System Profiler?
3.) Or is IOReg Explorer at least showing three instances of "ATY,Eulemur" in the left hand panel and not "ATY,RadeonFrameBuffer"?
Note: If your screen is blank and you have 'Screen Sharing' turned on, and another mac handy you can login and check these out on your Hackintosh. As I said before, everything is running in the background, it's just not getting through to your display.

If you're still battling to get your card recognised via Chimera and and GE=Yes, there are some DSDT edits you can make to pass the Eulemur profile to OS X while using GE=No...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audi...o-part-2a-dsdt-edits-discrete-amd-nvidia.html

Don't be fooled by the above guide. It may be about getting HDMI audio via your graphics card, but it also sneakily covers how to get your DSDT to inject your display profile at boot without the need for GE=Yes, with the added benefit of HDMI Audio. WOOT!
If it get's too tough for you, I could probably make the edits for you from my side :)

As for the dreaded ROM file, you could try Parallels to get your 5450's Bios ROM using GPU-Z, but if i remember correctly, VM's tend to use some sort of intermediary driver of some sort which will likely mess with your results or efforts. It's worth a try though, as you really do need this file. Without it we can't extract any of the connector / transmitter / encoder / hotplug or sense IDs we need to edit your Frame Buffer Personality and get your card talking to your display perfectly.

You could always try and get your ROM by using an Ubuntu Live CD/USB if your Windows woes get the better of you, but if your Linux skills are as poor as mine you're better off trying via a Windows install of some sort.
Here's a link if you're feeling adventurous: http://smackerelofopinion.blogspot.com/2011/07/using-pci-sysfs-interface-to-dump-video.html

I personally have Windows on a completely separate HDD, mostly to avoid the kind of issues you're having, an old 80GB HDD has saved my bacon a number of times. Otherwise, you could even borrow a friend's computer and plug your card in for 5mins to get the ROM file for your card, that would work too, as GPU-Z only takes the ROM info from your graphics card and nothing else from the rest of the host computer.

I'm going to hopefully write a detailed guide for newbies, covering the entire process of getting my Radeon HD 6670 (with DisplayPort) working 100% in Lion/Mountain Lion – driving three monitors with full video acceleration and (hopefully) audio. Most of the techniques are transferable to similar AMD cards. I just need to find some time to get started...

Oh, well.

No problemo, dude. I have some personal drama on my side that's eating into my internet time, so please don't panic if I happen to vanish for a few days.

But now to business...

So the aim of the boot file is to get Chimera to assign the Eulemur profile to your card in OS X at boot. This won't necessarily give you acceleration or even a picture on your screen just yet. In fact you may have to turn on 'Screen Sharing' to access your desktop, as the likelihood of of getting a blank screen it rather high. But i've found this to be a kind of good thing because it's generally evidence that things are happening behind the scenes that you want to happen – i.e. QE/CI should be loading as should OpenGL and the other goodness that allow things like DVD Player, Chess and GPU accelerated games and such, the only problem is getting the card to send this info to the right display connectors and get the signal through to your display. These we can always sort out later.

2.) If so is your card being recognised as an "AMD Radeon 5450" in Apple System Profiler?
3.) Or is IOReg Explorer at least showing three instances of "ATY,Eulemur" in the left hand panel and not "ATY,RadeonFrameBuffer"?
Note: If your screen is blank and you have 'Screen Sharing' turned on, and another mac handy you can login and check these out on your Hackintosh. As I said before, everything is running in the background, it's just not getting through to your display.

If you're still battling to get your card recognised via Chimera and and GE=Yes, there are some DSDT edits you can make to pass the Eulemur profile to OS X while using GE=No...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audi...o-part-2a-dsdt-edits-discrete-amd-nvidia.html

Don't be fooled by the above guide. It may be about getting HDMI audio via your graphics card, but it also sneakily covers how to get your DSDT to inject your display profile at boot without the need for GE=Yes, with the added benefit of HDMI Audio. WOOT!
If it get's too tough for you, I could probably make the edits for you from my side :)

As for the dreaded ROM file, you could try Parallels to get your 5450's Bios ROM using GPU-Z, but if i remember correctly, VM's tend to use some sort of intermediary driver of some sort which will likely mess with your results or efforts. It's worth a try though, as you really do need this file. Without it we can't extract any of the connector / transmitter / encoder / hotplug or sense IDs we need to edit your Frame Buffer Personality and get your card talking to your display perfectly.

You could always try and get your ROM by using an Ubuntu Live CD/USB if your Windows woes get the better of you, but if your Linux skills are as poor as mine you're better off trying via a Windows install of some sort.
Here's a link if you're feeling adventurous: http://smackerelofopinion.blogspot.com/2011/07/using-pci-sysfs-interface-to-dump-video.html

I personally have Windows on a completely separate HDD, mostly to avoid the kind of issues you're having, an old 80GB HDD has saved my bacon a number of times. Otherwise, you could even borrow a friend's computer and plug your card in for 5mins to get the ROM file for your card, that would work too, as GPU-Z only takes the ROM info from your graphics card and nothing else from the rest of the host computer.

I'm going to hopefully write a detailed guide for newbies, covering the entire process of getting my Radeon HD 6670 (with DisplayPort) working 100% in Lion/Mountain Lion – driving three monitors with full video acceleration and (hopefully) audio. Most of the techniques are transferable to similar AMD cards. I just need to find some time to get started...

Oh, well.

Okay, so I reinstalled Windows, didn't bother with the getting OSX working for the moment and was able to install GPU-Z, so here is my results. I had some error about OpenCL needing to be reinstalled, is that something I will need to do? I don't see anything about frambuffer or Eulemur.

6uu.png

I

1. Yes it is working with GE=Yes, with one monitor. If I change it to Shrike it'll boot dual monitors
2. My card previously was recognized as 5000, now it's 5400, so not quite 5450 yet
3. IOReg is now displaying Eulemur under the framebuffer settings.

See above for my GPU-Z results. I did manage to get Windows dual booting, not sure what I did differently, but it is working.

Update: I just noticed that both Chess and TextEdit are working, so now we're down to just getting the second monitor to work with GE=Yes, which amusingly is the original problem given the roundabout way this process has gone.

1. Yes it is working with GE=Yes, with one monitor. If I change it to Shrike it'll boot dual monitors
2. My card previously was recognized as 5000, now it's 5400, so not quite 5450 yet
3. IOReg is now displaying Eulemur under the framebuffer settings.

See above for my GPU-Z results. I did manage to get Windows dual booting, not sure what I did differently, but it is working.

Update: I just noticed that both Chess and TextEdit are working, so now we're down to just getting the second monitor to work with GE=Yes, which amusingly is the original problem given the roundabout way this process has gone.

Hahaha! Yeah, i know it seems like going in circles sometimes. You can lose your mind going through these project, again and again and again.

Excellent news on the Eulmer in IOReg and the GPU-Z! These are VERY good signs! Indeed!
The "5400" reading is merely cosmetic (which we can fix later, if you even want you), but does prove that GraphicsEnabler is in fact working and doing what it should. ie. getting QE/CI and OpenGL recognised and running. WHOOP!

Okay! In GPU-Z you'll see a tiny little chip with the green arrow on it, next to your BIOS Version line. This is in fact a button!
Guess what it does? Oh, yes! It extracts your 5450's ROM/BIN file. THIS is what i'm going to need from you. Don't panic about the OpenCL error as this is probably a drive or Windows related issue and if this was a concern for you we'd probably be talking in some other random Windose forum ;)

If you can send me this ROM/BIN (it's generally quite small ±150kb) file from GPU-Z and your IOReg output from "IORegistry Explorer" (do a "Save As..." and it'll save a .ioreg file). I should be able to pick up everything I need to to custom roll your framebuffer personality and have a 100% functioning card. With multiple-monitor support for all of your connectors, just incase you change monitors later and need that darn HDMI port.

If you also send me your DSDT, I should be able to enable GPU injection (for GE=No and a 100% identified card in Apple SysProfiler) and possibly HDMI audio, to future-proof your setup a little.

Chat soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back