2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Edhawk
This build with i5 4570T was my old HTPC which I figured I would update from Big Sur to Monterey. (No dGPU on this thinITX board)
Also Opencore to 0.9.9 latest build. A test flash was made with 0.9.9 using the original smbios which I know now, will not allow a Monterey upgrade. It still boots fine from the newly made flash, so I then went for a Broadwell supported smbios as this is using onboard video, Intel Graphics 4600. (4570T is a Broadwell processor with 4600 graphics)
Unfortunately, I attempted the update from the full installer before the Broadwell smbios update values were entered.
This also requires a different AAPL,ig-platform-id for the IGP: 07002216 "Used when the Desktop Broadwell iGPU is used to drive a display" assumed this same value is used for Broadwell under the 16,2 smbios??
After making the corrections to the config.plist, (smbios and AAPL), it will no longer boot back to the Big Sur install, to restart the Monterey install. It starts and then loops out. Also, the installer is partially present from the initial attempt as it shows as a choice in picker GUI. Choosing the installer results in a kernel crash. Is it a possible min date problem, as the newer OC 0.9.9 may be set-up improperly? I will post EFI for checking separately.

@Edhawk or @craighazan,
here is the EFI that will not re-boot back to Big Sur which did not finish the upgrade process to Monterey.
Could you please take a look at the structure....
The booting one (on the Ventura Flash) has old symbios and not all of the DP settings for IGP. (it is Haswell, not Broadwell)

Attachments

• HASWELL EFI NO BOOT SEARISL REMOVED.zip
    7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
@craighazan, @Edhawk I guess no one knows the answer to why this is happening?
Or no one cares because it is Monterey. By the Way, it should have been moved to Big Sur desktop support as that is the only OS that will boot, Not Monterey.

@craighazan, @Edhawk I guess no one knows the answer to why this is happening?
Or no one cares because it is Monterey. By the Way, it should have been moved to Big Sur desktop support as that is the only OS that will boot, Not Monterey.
I have moved your thread to Big Sur Desktop Support

According to Intel.com it's Haswell not Broadwell. So use Mac mini 7,1 as the SMBIOS.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.56.23 PM.png

Broadwell was 5th gen after Haswell 4th gen.

Easy way to tell. Does it start with a 4 or a 5 in the CPU model # ?
Broadwell i5s start with either 55 or 56 in the model # like i5-5575R
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 7.03.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 7.04.17 PM.png

Last edited:
True, But you cannot upgrade a Big Sur max install for Haswell without using Broadwell smbios, correct?
16,2 is listed smbios in the OC guide: The integrated graphics on the Haswell processor I have is not supported in Ventura. (will the smbios Mac Mini 7,1 support Monterey?)

SMBIOS Hardware
iMac14,4 Haswell with only iGPU

Note: The following SMBIOS are only supported up-to macOS 11, Big Sur. For cases where you must boot Monterey, see below:
Monterey SMBIOS table
Note choosing a SMBIOS from the list below for Big Sur or older is not recommended, as Power Management and such can break when using unoptimized SMBIOS.

Monterey table:

SMBIOS Hardware
iMac16,2 Broadwell with only iGPU
iMac17,1 Broadwell with dGPU

Because of these caveats, Dortania will no longer be supporting pre-Haswell CPUs for Ventura and above. The pages for these CPUs will remain updated for Monterey.

# Supported SMBIOS​

SMBIOS dropped in Ventura:

• iMac17,x and older
  • Macmini7,1 and older
  • MacBook9,1 and older
  • MacBookAir7,x and older
  • MacBookPro13,x and older
  • MacPro6,1 and older

If your SMBIOS was supported in Monterey and is not included above, you're good to go!
Mac mini (Late 2014)

Model Identifier: Macmini7,1

Part Numbers: MGEM2xx/A, MGEN2xx/A, MGEQ2xx/
Newest compatible operating system: macOS Monterey

Tech Specs: Mac mini (Late 2014)

But you cannot upgrade a Big Sur max install for Haswell without using Broadwell smbios, correct?
I use the i5-4570 with Macmini7,1 HD4600 and it works perfectly in Monterey. Native support.
Look at the Macs supported by Monterey list. The 2014 mini is on it.

Screenshot_2024-03-17_at_8_43_07 PM.jpg

Last edited:
The reason it works is becaue the base model 2014 mini has a Haswell HD5000 iGPU.
That is just a slightly modified HD4600 iGPU so it will work when you use Macmini7,1.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 8.49.28 PM.png

Use these graphics/device IDs and it will work. Trust me.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 8.52.20 PM.png

Last edited:
If you still don't believe it, further proof. Same iGPU architecture. Both Gen 7.5.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 9.02.18 PM.png

Thank You trs96, The error I had was in the config.plist in Device properties. I had the device properties for layout ID instead of the one for IGP so it was failing. I changed smbios to Macmini7,1 and then corrected the Device properties mistake, it booted from my Monterey flash with OC 1.0.0, exchanged the EFI on the BigSur install drive rebooted, and then restarted the Monterey installer from Applications, and it completed flawlessly. I thought I was crazy as it kept failing to boot up with: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)
instead of the correct: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0).
Thank you again.

Back