Contribute
Register

Asus ProArt z790 - BIOS updates!

Well, @achooley you'll have to investigate how to apply this, then! And, further, if you're unable to install Sonoma, you also will likely need to change OC/Misc/SecureBootModel to Disabled.
@SmackAttack Sorry for a quesiton, i manage to install (with SecureBootModel = Disabled) and GPU works. After login, at random time MacOS randomly stuck. I have no idea why its happen. Maybe some one can suggest a direction how to solve this issue?

You need to make sure of the following:
  1. You have no DeviceProperties in your config.plist, as this is a known issue with NootRX.kext.
  2. You do not have WhateverGreen.kext in your OC setup.
  3. You do not have agdpmod=pikera boot argument in your config.plist.
  4. You do not have any other graphics related kexts, boot arguments or patches enabled/present in your OC setup.
A common issue with NootRX.kext is the second stage Apple Icon and progress bar do not show when using the kext with an RX 6700 XT. I know this from personal experience and from discussions held with one of the previous NootRX developers.

Yes. Looks like i pass all point. I can login, GPU works, but when i try to do any other action with OS its stuck View attachment 581528
As I have not ever used NootRx, I don't know, but if your last EFI is what you're using now -- and based on the comments from @Edhawk -- looks like you have to remove "agdpmod=pikera" from NVRAM. Also, I don't understand why your Processor is listing "3,18 GHz" in the above screen shot... the Restrict Events boot-arg from my/your EFI had the flag to correct that, so not sure what's going on there. You can try to remove both boot arguments for Restrict Events for now and see if that changes anything, but maybe you need to double-check your BIOS settings, most importantly, that your BIOS doesn't have iGPU active.

Also; you should get rid of "wegnoigpu" from boot args if you're not using WG.
j

Last edited:
As I have not ever used NootRx, I don't know, but if your last EFI is what you're using now -- and based on the comments from @Edhawk -- looks like you have to remove "agdpmod=pikera" from NVRAM. Also, I don't understand why your Processor is listing "3,18 GHz" in the above screen shot... the Restrict Events boot-arg from my/your EFI had the flag to correct that, so not sure what's going on there. You can try to remove both boot arguments for Restrict Events for now and see if that changes anything, but maybe you need to double-check your BIOS settings, most importantly, that your BIOS doesn't have iGPU active.
j

Thanks a lot for your time and answers. I checked out several tutorials about z790 BIOS configuration and made changes according to their suggestions.

An interesting point to note is that when I restored the default BIOS configuration (nothing changed), Mac OS booted without any issues. Previously, I experienced system freezes after 2-3 minutes. I don't have an answer for how this is possible, for example, VT-d was enabled by default and other important settings were also enabled by default.

You need to remember that you are using a system with an unsupported chipset, CPU & RAM, when running macOS. Apple have never and will never use the 11th, 12th, 13th or 14th Gen Intel chipsets or CPUs. So some of the prerequisites for a Comet Lake system (last natively supported Intel chipset/CPU) may not be required with your newer setup.

Also Dortania haven’t updated the BIOS requirement section of their guides since the well before the Comet Lake chipset was released in 2020. A lot has changed in OpenCore since that last update. So again while some of the older Intel systems may have needed specific BIOS changes things have since moved on, i.e. we don’t need to disable VT-d, in fact some systems need it enabled to activate specific devices and functions in macOS.

FYI new bios is available, did not test it so don't know if everything will work.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 8.12.18 PM.png

Back