Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
GTX 770
I have been trying to replace my aging Mac Mini media server with a more modern machine for awhile. I settled on the GA-Z87N-WIFI board and an i5 4690 processor, because that MoBo was in the recommend build section. I built the machine up, and after fighting the "Boot 0" issue and some other problems, eventually got it to boot. One of the key requirements for this system is that it

a) MUST SLEEP reliably! Not only that, but it:
b) must support WAKE ON LAN!
I'm not going to waste 40 Watts 24/7 because the machine won't sleep.

So, I soon found out that the Gigabyte board wouldn't work. Actually, it wasn't soon - I messed around with it for months, before I finally came to the conclusion that this MoBo has a firmware bug (or some interaction with OS X) that corrupts memory after several sleep cycles. By upping the DRAM voltage and turning on "Enhanced Stability" I was able to get it to sleep for up to 30-40 cycles, but it would eventually fail. So, I decided to give up on that board and try the ASRocks Z97M-ITX/ac.

I also moved to Clover as a bootloader, and that took some messing around until I got it to boot.

Note for anyone who stumbles on this tread: If you get a "unable to find driver for this platform:\"ACPI\".n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.2/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp" panic on boot with Yosemite, it's most likely that the kext-dev-mode boot flag has not been set. I swore I set it, and I couldn't get it to boot. After setting the flag from the Clover boot options, it came right up.

After I had the machine running, i decided to test sleep.
It didn't work.
Rather, it would sleep, but wake up immediately with a wake reason of "GLAN XHC." It took a long time to figure this out, because the information on the web was misleading - it's NOT Ethernet - it's the WiFI / Bluetooth combo card. I removed the card (which I don't need - it's going to be wired), and since then the machine has slept and woken perfectly. Right now it's on 58 cycles.

Also, optical audio out works after sleep, so it looks like I will be swapping out my old Mac Mini with this new machine soon!

After I had the machine running, i decided to test sleep.
It didn't work.
Rather, it would sleep, but wake up immediately with a wake reason of "GLAN XHC." It took a long time to figure this out, because the information on the web was misleading - it's NOT Ethernet - it's the WiFI / Bluetooth combo card. I removed the card (which I don't need - it's going to be wired), and since then the machine has slept and woken perfectly. Right now it's on 58 cycles.
Thank you SO much for this. This solved my sleep problems on my ASRock H97M-ITX. I put that little card in there thinking OSX would just ignore it and I could use it in other OSes. Turns out I had the exact same error message and I now apparently have working sleep/wake.

Just thought I'd give you credit for solving the issue. :)

I installed the machine this weekend.

And discovered a problem.

I have a dual-monitor setup, (LCD and projector). If the projector is off after the machine wakes up from sleep, it reboots. It doesn't matter which port the projector is on (DVI or HDMI) - if it is off when the Hackintosh wakes up - reboot.

I noticed that there were issues with monitors before, when I was experimenting. If I unplugged the monitor cable it would reboot also. Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior?

I'm looking at hacking together a EDID module so that the machine thinks that the projector is always on. I don't think this should be too hard, but I'd rather fix it in software, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back