Contribute
Register

Asrock Z97E-ITX stuck in white APPLE screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
@WonkeyDonkey

hi,

can you explain me, how did you create your own DSDT.aml for the Z87E-ITX. I used MaciASL, which Patches do you use? I created my own DSDT, but 2-4 Errors and after i fixed this i have HDMI Sound. But there is no sound on my Denon X2000 when i used optical output for HDMI. I have no Wifi and no Bluetooth.

I followed your threads (Updates, Streambox ). Your posted the (DSDT.aml Post #143 - 13.02.2014) doesn't work - i got Kernel Panics direct after the first few messages (-verbose).

Thank you

the problem is simple u mixed haswell with broadwell disable onboard gfx. use pcie for asrock and set intel injection for clover to false and use a supported gfx card my asrock z97 extreme 6 works fine

This is up to date and to my knowledge the (only) most complete entry for a ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac main board. So I am adding my experience with this board here too.
The board fits fairly much my requirements and WonkeyDonkeys's Steambox report for a ASRock Z87E-ITX mainboard made me hopeful. So I felt like giving this a go.

My configuration:
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac mainboard, BIOS Version 1.30.
16GB (2*8GB) Mushkin DDR3-2133 CL9 RAM .
i5-4670K CPU (runnig on standard clocks, except for a a changed divider to match the RAM-speed), Noctua NH-U12S Cooler.
MSI N760-TF-2GD5/OC GTX 760 - 2 GB GDDR5 graphics card.
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 480GB SSD as system drive plus two SATA HD which I use for bulky user files (photos, movies, music) and backup.
All in a BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX case.

That is I have NOT used the M2 slot on the board and can't give any comments on it's hackintosh usability.

Software Installation:
As this is a EFI based mainboard, I decided touse Clover as a boot loader (and configuring a EFI based boot). There is a lovely guide here in this forum (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html) which you simply have to follow to get OSX Mavericks booting. My boot image is using 10.9.3, the installed system I have upgraded to 10.9.4 since.
Well one caveat: I too got stuck with a frozen boot as described in the beginning of this forum thread. I can confirm that this is due to a older AppleIntelE1000e kext. Simply replace that with an up to date version, I picked mine from (https://code.google.com/p/intel-e1000e-kext/). For the installation however I chose to temporarily disable the network interface in the EFI-settings (BIOS) of the mainboard.
This is all I had to tweak for the installation to give me a bootable system. All those who have had little exposure to EFI-booting, please note that you will have to save "Clover" as a EFI boot option, before the mainboard will automatically detect your installation. This can be done easily from one of the Clover boot-menu options. Simply don't forget to do so ;-). Also be aware that the ASRock Z97E-ITX will reset to defaults after three bad booting attempts, in which case your will have to re-register your Clover installation in the mainboards EFI settings again. So it is a good idea to keep your USB-boot stick handy for later.

What's working, what's not working:
- I gave using the CPU's internal HD4600 graphics one(!) try and failed. I am not saying this is not working, but this seems to need some more investigation. Maybe I'll try later again.
- As could be expected the NVidia GTX 760 card is working fully without any further activity.

- Wired ethernet is working without any issue, once you are using an up to date E1000e kernel extension.

- WLAN: My board has been shipped with a BCM94352HMB card (combined WLAN & Bluetooth) in the Mini-PCI slot. I assume this will stay for a while, but ASRock is not making any explicit reference to the card being used, so maybe have a look in case nothing is working.
This will not be automatically recognised! You only need to enter the correct PCIid (14e4:43b1) in the respective kernel extension. That is in
/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/Info.plist
change in the "array" section to <string>pci14e4,43b1</string>.
If you are new to mods like this, please remember to refresh your kernel caches afterwards or nothing will happen (usually a "touch /System/Library/Extensions" will do, you could also run "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel" and "sudo kextcache -system-caches"). You also will have to reboot.
This will give you 802.11 a/b/g WLAN (i.e. 2.4 GHz bands) but strangely not 802.11 n/ac (i.e. 5GHz bands). If you need the latter have a look at (http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2-25.html) post 249, and you will eventuall have fixed WLAN fully!

- Bluetooth: Bluetooth is a bit weird and not fully understood for me still. You can get Bluetooth activated (i.e. the OSX Bluetooth panels come to life) if you patch the correct vendor id and device id into the corresponding kernel extension: This time open
/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.kext/Contents/Info.plist
duplicate i.e. the first block in the IOKitPersonalities section, give it another "key" and most importantly change the key for idProduct to <integer>13316</integer> and the key for idVendor to <integer>5075</integer>. The vlaues are just the decimal values for the hexadecimal USB IDs 0x3404 and 0x13d3 which you can find through "About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Hardware -> USB".
However I have not yet been able to associate a bluetooth device! My mouse and trackpad are being found but association then fails. The BCM20702A0 on the mainboards module may need a different/patched kernel extension. Elsewhere it has been suggested to disable USB3.0 (and use USB2.0) for the association. That did not work for me though.
I am using a USB-bluetooth dongle for now.

UPDATE: The problem has been fixed! New firmware is required to make this work. See (http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/?hl=bcm94352) for details.

- Sound: Sound I so far haven't been able to get going directly. VoodooHDA (http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/) is however doing it's charm flawlessly, so currently my motivation to work on this is low.

A word on DSDT:
It seems to me I don't need one. But I still have to check on sleep modes. I think I have disabled any helpful Clover option that simply work in the background.
I nevertheless for testing generated a DSDT.aml using Clover, i.e.: pressing F4 while the Clover menu is visible will save a DSDT.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin. You could/should edit that using for instance MaciASL. You need to remove some extra "Zero" which will pop up as errors. The (re-)compiled DSDT needs to go into /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched afterwards. You possibly can also copy the original DSDT.aml in there? I have NOT noticed any side-effects of all this yet. So maybe you shouldn't bother with a DSDT at all ;-)

This is up to date and to my knowledge the (only) most complete entry for a ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac main board. So I am adding my experience with this board here too.

- Sound: Sound I so far haven't been able to get going directly. VoodooHDA (http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/) is however doing it's charm flawlessly, so currently my motivation to work on this is low.

This was a fantastic write-up! I have a slightly different configuration I'll write about here:

Working:
* Graphics: I have a Radeon HD 7770 installed (will be switching to a low-power Maxwell when those are supported. I used the "standard" .plist from the tonymacx86 Clover guide. I used the Intel 4600 .plist before, and was able to get that working fine, but I haven't been able to use both graphics platforms simultaneously. Some guide out there suggested that you might have a black boot screen, but I have full graphics via 7770 for the entire experience.
* TRIM (w/ Chameleon SSD)

Issues:
* Sound: I used Multibeast after install and installed drivers for the ALC 1150 chipset. I might have lost audio once or twice after sleep, but I just ran Multibeast again. The headphone output device seems to be the thing that is disappearing.

* Wifi/Bluetooth: I've lost Bluetooth and Wifi (separately, not both in the same occurrence) and I ran the kexts/patch, restarted, and they worked again.

* Sleep: I previously was able to sleep just fine when I was booting off of a Clover USB EFI bootloader, running the Intel 4600 .plist, but now sleeping doesn't turn off any fans, only the display.

Not Tested:
* Audio over HDMI
* Keeping Bluetooth/WiFi from Sleep: Alternatively, speeding up WiFi connectivity so that I don't have to reload my browser pages when coming from a cold boot would be nice.
* USB 3.0 issues: A wireless mouse was plugged into one of the two bottom USB 3.0 ports, and the cursor moved very slowly. Plugging into a USB 2.0 port fixed the issue. I still need to perform tests of transfer speeds for all the ports, but the front ports seemed to work fine. This seems like a strange issue because all of the USB 3.0 ports should be on the Intel chipset (IIRC).
* RAID support
* Overclocking (I have power saver turned on, and it's running fine)

The board fits fairly much my requirements and WonkeyDonkeys's Steambox report for a ASRock Z87E-ITX mainboard made me hopeful. So I felt like giving this a go.

My configuration:
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac mainboard, BIOS Version 1.30.
16GB (2*8GB) Mushkin DDR3-2133 CL9 RAM .
i5-4670K CPU (runnig on standard clocks, except for a a changed divider to match the RAM-speed), Noctua NH-U12S Cooler.
MSI N760-TF-2GD5/OC GTX 760 - 2 GB GDDR5 graphics card.
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 480GB SSD as system drive plus two SATA HD which I use for bulky user files (photos, movies, music) and backup.
All in a BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX case.

Hi, dhmac :)

First I would like to thank you about your input on the ASRock Z97 mobo! :thumbup:

I bought ASRock H97 Pro4 mobo and am trying to install Maverics via Clover but either Im getting kernel panics or "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" message and then the system restarts itself. All UEFI BIOS settings are setup as required (VT-d, Launch CSM, Secure Boot, IGPU Monitor are disabled). Im also using the same method as you've been using to prepare a Maverics Clover install USB flash drive

I played with the Clover config file in order to get it right for my mobo, but with no success and I know that config.plist is crucial for the successful Maverics installation.

I know Z97 and H97 are somehow different chipset but, could you be so kind and post here your Clover config file in order to get clues what is wrong with mine?

Im also wondering if I have to patch my current BIOS file?

Thank you for your time and help :)

Help from anyone else is much appreciated, too :)

Hello planemo,

first of all my apologies for the late reply. I haven't checked here for a while.

I have uploaded the config.plist that I have used with the installer usb-stickand have attached it to this post. It is basically the one generated automatically with the clover installation. At least I can't remember having changed anything there.

Try booting "verbose" or in "safe mode" to pin-point your source of trouble. What I find puzzling is that you either get a kernel panic or a message about "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!". Is this random or do you boot indifferent ways for both "results"?

I can't imaging "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!" is making your installation freeze. I remember that message myself. This usually just is a hint that the bluetooth won't be working. Unless you depend on bluetooth mouse or keyboard that shouldn't be a showstopper for the installation.

I'd be very surprised if H97 or Z97 is going to make any difference. In the end it's basically the same chipset. The ASRock H97 Pro4 seems to have identical LAN and sound chips as the Z97E-ITX has. However your board does not have an mini-pci BCM20702A0 card for WLAN and bluetooth - so expect differences in that respect. After having had a quick look, I'd even say the ASRock H97 Pro4 has no onboard WLAN nor onboard bluetooth (the board has plenty of slots to add something like that though).

Kernel panics usually dump the reason for the crash. You should/might be able to see which kext is making your installation crash. Be aware that I am booting with a Nvidia graphics card in the PCI-E slot (although I meanwhile have been able to run on the cpu-internal HD4600 too). Non-functional graphics might leave you with a hanging screen, without any further error message.

Maybe this is of some help ;-)

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.4 KB · Views: 261
DHMAC

I have your mobo and I'm having so much trouble. That's the ASRock z97e-itx/ac.

What do I need to do to get wifi working and bluetooth? I got as far as getting OSX Yosemite installed using multibeast. But I can't seem to get a bootloader installed properly. Everytime I use multibeast it screws everything up and I lose internet connectivity via ethernet (which works natively after install).

I would just like for everything to work lol can you tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong?

I read this post and I don't know anything about modifying kexts and the other mods you have done. Sorry...I'mm a total noob :roll2::beachball::beachball::beachball:

was happening to me also

Did anyone try the onboard Displayport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back