GTX 660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello folks,

so, here is the thing.. I am writing this from my hackintosh build which is working really nicely so far. Running 10.83. I have full QE/CI and the system is very stable as it is.

Now there are two things that still bother me a bit and that I can't quite figure out alone despite lots of reading in these forums.
I think they are all due to the same reason, namely that I don't use a DSDT
What I would like to fix is:
a) HW Monitor app or in fact any other Monitoring app (like iStat Menues / iStat pro) instantly freezes the system uppon launching the app.. why could that be?
b) my cpu is in offset mode. under windows, idle will automatically clock down to 1.6ghz, load will overclock to 4.2.
is there a way to see if this is working under mac os too? can it work at all`?
c) lastly, but for me, most importantly: the system goes to sleep and wakes without issues.. that is, all it does is it turns off the screen and halts the cpu. The Case Fans and GPU fans still stay on and the system still uses way more power than the full standby under windows does. Winodws turns of the GPU and casis fans..

now all 3 are propably related to the fact that I never used a DSDT to install. (almost) everything worked really nicely without a DSDT and everytime I tried to install using one, I failed.

I found two DSDT's for my board arround here (one here, and one here) and with both, I tried to do the following:
in the working system, I put the dsdt files on the dekstop, run multibeast, check user dsdt and reinstall all the drivers (is that wrong?) and both times, it rendered my system unbootable and I had to restore a backup.
What am I doing wrong? do need to create my own dsdt? Am I going wrong about all this at all?

You would help me a great deal if you could just point me in the right direction or tell me if I missunderstood something..

My config:
asrock z77 pro4-m
core i5 3570k
xfx radeon hd 7870
8gb RAM
Samunsg ssd 840

ML 10.8.3
Patched Bios

Multibeast options are:
ALC892
FakeSMC
FakeSMC plugins
Trim Enabler (for 10.8.3)

Thanks for any help!
Zalem

a) seen that happen before. cant remember for the life of me what the cause/solution is. helpful i know...
b) its called speedstep, and yes it does work. to test whether its working properly on your system, you can use msrdumper.kext (theres a newer version of this by pike r alpha), or use dpcimanager which has a way of testing cpu states as well. also look into the ivy bridge ssdt thread by toleda.
c) you need a dsdt edit for sleep to work on asrock boards. the solution is in this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/39400-sleep-wake-solved-asrock-z68-motherboards-lion.html
for z77 boards, you need to remove the line mentioned in post 49 by elinato1 (in step 2.1 of the first post, that relates to z68 boards. for z77 boards remove the line mentioned in post49)

so once youve done that sleep should work, however, youre using a 7870 and im not sure how well those work with sleep/wake

thanks for your hints!

a) oh, so it's not a common issue? hmmm.. well, just shout it out loud if you remember :)

b) all right, will test that and report

c) ok, so I edit my dsdt and then? can I just install it with multibeast while my system is running? does it make a difference? do I have to change the drivers (from "without dsdt" to "with dsdt") and delete the old ones? repair permissions..kextbeast..? I have seen all those things mentioned but never used any of them till now :)

why is it that the dsdt's other people have been using for the very same board are not working. or do I misunderstand the concept.. :/

what about a ssdt? I thought it's needed for power management, is it not? you mention it in the context of the speedstep issue...
I'll work through the threads you linked and just do a system backup every minute or so ;)

once youve made the dsdt, you just put it in the /extra folder. no need to rerun multibeast.

if you cant boot with a dsdt in the /extra folder, use the boot flag 'DSDT=Null'.

a dsdt is based off of the users board. so if you are using someone elses dsdt, it all depends on their build, and their bios version, and what edits theyve made to the dsdt.
its always best to make your own dsdt

ssdt- best to read toledas thread. im not fully up to speed with ivy bridge power management.
afaik, you can get a few pstates without an ssdt, but for full power management, you combine an ivy ssdt with an ivy system definition.

ok, so here is my update.

powermanagement:
I used dsdtedior to extract the dsdt and edit it like you mentioned.. I just deleted that one line. I compiled (it gave me one error, so I clicked "fix errors" and it worked). saved the file as DSDT.aml and put it into extra.

the system boots fine now with the dsdt in place, but there are no changes. when I go to sleep, the system fans still stay on running.
I am using (as before) the patched bios from here
http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/asrock/z77/

I did some power consumption figures:
windows: idle 45W
sleep 2W
hackintosh: idle 53W
sleep 53W
so nothign actually happens apart from the screen going black :/

as for the speedstepping: I used the msrdumper.kext as recomended and got this output in the log
speedstep.png
so I am asuming all is ok? it goes up to 4.2 when needed and idles arround 16-18. thats how it looks on windows too.
Is that all correct? I did nothing in terms of a ssdt.

any suggestions about the powermanagement? help :(

ok, now my ssdt is working too.. speedstep looks like this.

localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ 16 21 28 34 39 42 ]

I edited the dsdt, have a patched bios and tried various bios settings but still, sleep just turns off the screen and doesn't do anything else.. no fans switch off, no power saving..

is it my radeon? Does anyone have a hint on how to go on? :(

using these bios settings I resolved my sleep. oc tweaker disable pll overvoltage,change cpu ratio to per core.advanced north bridge configuration primary graphics adapter pci express,shared memory to 32mb. 64 mb refuses to work with chimera/chameleon for hd4k don't forget to set osx hdd and dvd rom to disabled hot plug.if u need more help im in chat a lot.

using these bios settings I resolved my sleep. oc tweaker disable pll overvoltage,change cpu ratio to per core.advanced north bridge configuration primary graphics adapter pci express,shared memory to 32mb. 64 mb refuses to work with chimera/chameleon for hd4k don't forget to set osx hdd and dvd rom to disabled hot plug.if u need more help im in chat a lot.

ok, I'll try all that, but I can't set my primary graphics to pcie because I am using a radeon hd 7870
until chimera is updated, I have to rely on the hd4000 to do the booting :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back