Contribute
Register

ASRock X99 WS, Is this MB a good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Code
CPU
Intel i7-8700k
Graphics
Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I am currently working on a parts list for my X99 i7-5930K build found here http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...-my-first-x99-6-core-mac-pro.html#post1157985.

My original MB choice is the GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD5 WIFI LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99, however I have been reading the reviews and have become skeptical. I have also done research on the Asus X99 Deluxe MB that are recommended but those seam to also have poor reviews.

This has led me to look into other X99 options leading me to the ASRock X99 WS found here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157536

This MB looks full featured and seams like it would be a good choice. Has anyone had experience with this MB or can anyone recommend a good board for my X99 project?

Thanks,
-Josh

Hi, I am currently working on a parts list for my X99 i7-5930K build found here http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...-my-first-x99-6-core-mac-pro.html#post1157985.

My original MB choice is the GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD5 WIFI LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99, however I have been reading the reviews and have become skeptical. I have also done research on the Asus X99 Deluxe MB that are recommended but those seam to also have poor reviews.

This has led me to look into other X99 options leading me to the ASRock X99 WS found here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157536

This MB looks full featured and seams like it would be a good choice. Has anyone had experience with this MB or can anyone recommend a good board for my X99 project?

Thanks,
-Josh
Might do OK. My Asrock X99M Killer works fine with Yosemite, and I am just now getting El Capitan to work - jury is still out on whether my problems installing were caused by nVidia GPUs or not, but seems to be indicated when I replace a GTX980 (didn't work) with a GTX740 (which also did not work) with a HD5770 which worked just fine. Installation went smooth with no display problems at all.

Ok, I'm looking at using a GTX 960 so hopefully that card will play nice. I am hearing a ton of horror stories with X99 and El Cap, so I think I will stick with Yosemite. I am also reading some horrible stories of Clover and ASRock MB's not playing nice. I have no experience with ASRock boards, I'm more of a Gigibyt fan. I'm just kind of at a loss here and am almost considering abandoning my dream of a 6-Core x99 workstation for a Devils Canyon i7.

Ok, I'm looking at using a GTX 960 so hopefully that card will play nice. I am hearing a ton of horror stories with X99 and El Cap, so I think I will stick with Yosemite. I am also reading some horrible stories of Clover and ASRock MB's not playing nice. I have no experience with ASRock boards, I'm more of a Gigibyt fan. I'm just kind of at a loss here and am almost considering abandoning my dream of a 6-Core x99 workstation for a Devils Canyon i7.

So far, the X99M Killer is working well with El Cap. Installed last Wednesday and it is still running (no power management=no sleep and I have sleep disabled in preferences. Display sleeps and wakes without problems so far. Temps are staying low. I may try ripping a DVD with handbrake and see what that does to temps sometime today or tomorrow.
For the Clover, it would boot to a "unable to set runtime area" half the time with the nVidia GPUs in it - have to boot it several times to get it to boot. Check your horror stories - were the posters usnig nVidia GPUs?
OTOH, I have also heard that R9 280X runs great in Yosemite but has problems with El Cap, so just buying the latest AMD GPU is not a final solution either. Not sure what I will do when this 6 year old HD5770 dies.

Ok, please keep me posted on the temps and stability. As far as the horror stories go most of the ones I have read about the systems where using nVidia 900 series cards. I'm looking at a 960 myself, do you know if the nVidia cards play nice in Yosemite? It seams like Yosemite is playing nice compared to el cap. Also is it possible to use chrimera as a boot loader instead of Clover? I am vary familiar with chrimera and have no experience with Clover.

Ok, please keep me posted on the temps and stability. As far as the horror stories go most of the ones I have read about the systems where using nVidia 900 series cards. I'm looking at a 960 myself, do you know if the nVidia cards play nice in Yosemite? It seams like Yosemite is playing nice compared to el cap. Also is it possible to use chrimera as a boot loader instead of Clover? I am vary familiar with chrimera and have no experience with Clover.

Yosemite+Chimera+GTX9xx+nVidia web drivers = :thumbup:
Ran into a snag in plan to monitor temps - thought I would install Intel Power Gadget app but got an unsupported CPU warning and it refused to install. FakeSMC plugins cause KP, so there goes HardwareMonitor, so back to holding hand in front of the radiator fans to tell temp :lol: - not very accurate, but can tell the difference between cool and hot.

Yosemite+Chimera+GTX9xx+nVidia web drivers = :thumbup:
Ran into a snag in plan to monitor temps - thought I would install Intel Power Gadget app but got an unsupported CPU warning and it refused to install. FakeSMC plugins cause KP, so there goes HardwareMonitor, so back to holding hand in front of the radiator fans to tell temp :lol: - not very accurate, but can tell the difference between cool and hot.

Did you notice this post earlier today ?

Might be worth a try.

Ok, cool. I think I will stick with a GTX 960 and Yosemite for now and the build should be somewhat painless.

As far as the MB I have narrowed it down to these 3

-ASUS X99-PRO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3132517&cm_re=asus_x99-_-13-132-517-_-Product (seams to have good reviews and its a Asus)

-ASRock X99 WS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157536 (I want to like this MB but I am hesitant because I have never worked with ASRock, but the reviews are the best I have ever seen for a X99 MB)

-Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WIFI: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPIE04M/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 (I know and love my Gigabyte MB's and have seen a few builds using this MB, however the amount of negative reviews on this board concerns me, I really don't want to buy it and have it fail after a few days)

As of now I am stuck and can't decide which MB to go with, which one do you recommend for my set up?

Also I have been pondering the idea of patching my current SSD that has Yosemite 10.10.5 installed to run on the new system by running MultiBeast in the configuration for the new system (installing VoodooTSCSync, drivers for the MB and Chimera) then just installing the SSD into the new system and having it be plug in play with no OS install. Do you think this will work and is it worth a shot?

Thanks for all that help, really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back