Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
ipod_nano.jpgAs the rumour mill suggested, Apple did indeed upgrade its iPods today with a new, larger iPod nano, as well as a slimmer, lighter iPod touch, with the same display as the iPhone 5. Alongside the new iPods Apple also announced the already leaked EarPods, yes, they actually called them that.

Despite having a larger 4-inch display, the iPod touch has lost 1.1mm in thickness and measures a mere 6.1mm thick now and weighs in at 88g compared to 101g for the previous model. Apple has put the A5 processor in it and this is the first dual-core iPod touch and it's said to be twice as fast as the fourth gen iPod touch.
ipod_touch_2.jpg
The camera has received a serious boost to a 5 Megapixel BSI sensor which appears to be similar to the one used in the iPhone 4S. The front camera now sports a 720p capable BSI sensor and it now supports FaceTime HD. Apple has also thrown in some Bluetooth 4.0 support, as well as 802.11a/b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi, although speeds are limited to 150Mbps, so it's not a MIMO implementation. The fifth gen iPod touch will come in black, silver, blue, yellow and red and it supports a hand strap known as the iPod touch loop.

Unlike the iPod touch which has gotten physically smaller, the iPod nano is more of an iPod mini, as it has more than doubled in height compared to the previous generation. On the upside, it sports a much larger 2.5-inch display with 240x432 pixel resolution and it's actually slimmer at 5.4mm vs. 8.78mm for the old model, although that included the clip. It's capable of playing back H.264 and MPEG-4 encoded video at resolutions of up to 720x576 pixels, although we can't see a lot of people using the iPod nano as a video device and even less so as the battery is only good for 3.5h worth of video.

ipod_touch_1.jpgThe new iPod nano also sports an FM radio with built in live pausing that sports a 15 minute buffer. Other new features include a home button, as well as a play pause button which is located in the middle of the volume controls. For audio playback the battery is good for 30h and the iPod nano sports a fast charge feature that charges it up to 80 percent in an hour and a half. Oddly enough not mentioned on Apple's website, according to the presentation the iPod nano also sports built in Bluetooth support.

The iPod shuffle was only given a really minor upgrade, if you can call it that, as it'll be available in some new colours. Common between the new iPod touch and the iPod nano is support for Apple's new Lightning interface and a bottom mounted headphone jack. Both devices will also come as standard with the new EarPods, which has apparently taken Apple no less than three year to develop, so fingers crossed that they're a huge improvement over the previous headphones Apple used to bundle. And if you're wondering, yes, the iPhone 5 will also come with them.

The iPod nano will remain at $149 and will only be available in 16GB, with the iPod touch starting at $199 for the old 16GB model, whereas the new models come in at $299 for the 32GB and $399 for 64GB. The iPod shuffle will cost $49. The new iPod touch and nano won't be available until an unspecified date in October, although pre-orders are being taken from tomorrow.

Source: Apple

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ipod touch is meh, but the nano looks cool.

Article: Apple updates its range of iPods

Where is a larger iPod Touch? 64 GB just doesn't cut it anymore.

I remember when the iPod first came out it was a portable music player. It was almost perfect at that. Apple has lost it's focus and is trying to make it like the iPhone for those who don't want an all in one like the iPhone. I want a music only iPod, back to it's roots, without all the useless crap it has now.

Nano LUMIA 800

nano fail

Really? I like this one way better than the 6th generation, which was the worst by far in the nano line-up. They still seemed to peak with 5th generation IMO, but at least the latest one is getting back to some additional useful physical controls.

The iPod Touch (5G) with the cool new features starts at $299. The Touch (4G) models go for $199 or $249.

I've been waiting years for a 32+gb ipod mini/nano/whatever to replace my creaky old 30gb 5th gen video ipod. The ipod touch is too large, too expensive, and seems too delicate to expose it to the rigors of daily use at the metal shop where I work.
I guess I'll just have to wait longer, or maybe hack an old ipod mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back