Graphics
MSI GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After completing a build using a Gigabyte Z97MX-GAMING5 motherboard I had a difficult time tracing the source of a 2 to 3 min pause before POST started. Updated BIOS, checked graphics drivers, unplugged everything piece by piece. Finally discovered the USB hub built into my old display from my defunct Apple G5 was the root cause. Have not solved the problem of why, but my boot time is now just a few seconds instead of minutes. Just wanted to put a signpost out there. It isn't overly important to me that the hub work, but if anyone has a solution let me know. Thanks!

I had the same issue with my Z97M. Installed an old PCI USB2 expansion card and gone was the boot stop. (I did not wait minutes, maybe it was just a long-term delay). In my understanding the reason is not the Hub but the built-in USB device in those displays to configure brightness & Co. It happens also with the Alu ACDs.

Yeah I can't even have my USB cord from the monitor plugged in or my computer won't boot. It won't boot into OS X or Windows 10.

Last edited:
Currently have the same problem with my Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H. Since the issue happens while booting it clearly has nothing to do with settings in clover or whatever. I spent quite some time searching for this problem online and thus far I have not found anyone else describing the problem besides this post.

Does anyone know if there are bios updates or settings that can be tweaked to prevent this problem from happening, maybe even firmware for the display?

With my Apple Cinema Display 30" the only information that I could find was to try and run it through a hub, but that seems unnecessary so I never did it.

I have a ACD 23" (DVI). With the monitor's USB hub connected to the Back Panel USB 2.0 port, I, too, had long delays to reach the Desktop with no BIOS post visible. Upon removing the ACD's USB connection from the Back Panel, I have a Post and Clover boot screens now. It's the ACD's USB hub that is some how affecting the boot up.

With my Apple Cinema Display 30" the only information that I could find was to try and run it through a hub, but that seems unnecessary so I never did it.

I will try running it through a USB hun then next week as well as trying an old PCI Express USB card I must have around somewhere and see if one of those will work.

Thanks for the info!

I have a ACD 23" (DVI). With the monitor's USB hub connected to the Back Panel USB 2.0 port, I, too, had long delays to reach the Desktop with no BIOS post visible. Upon removing the ACD's USB connection from the Back Panel, I have a Post and Clover boot screens now. It's the ACD's USB hub that is some how affecting the boot up.
Yeah I have read places that some motherboards don't like certain USB devices and this will cause the issue to post. The issue I have is that it worked for a while and then nothing. I also can't use an apple extension cable for my Apple keyboard. If I have the extension, no function, without it no problem. Weird.

Have an ACD 23". No issue with slow boot up time/clover. But I'm on a Z68X motherboard. (Running El Capitan). Have a USB wireless keyboard receiver, and wireless mouse receiver plugged into the back of the ACD. Also have a firewire device plugged into the back of the monitor.

Tried a few things this week, first I tried a usb hub but with no results.

Then I tried tweaking a few things in the bios, like enabling fast boot settings that disable certain usb-ports during boot. After I enabled this setting I did get the POST beep sound but it got stuck at the bootscreen itself (I guess this is where the bios enabled the other USB ports as well) but it only continued when I unplugged the screen's usb cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back