Contribute
Register

Any word on compatibility with troubled XFX HD 5770 Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gpicon said:
SapientSlayer said:
i5 760, GA-P55A-UD3, XFX 5770 running on 10.7 lion with no flashing of GPU!

GUIDE: I had a running build with 10.6.7 so anything before i cant comment on

1. to upgrade to 10.6.8 i first backed up ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext from 10.6.7.

2. download and install combo update 10.6.8(not software update.

3. DO NOT RESTART... you need to install ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext using kextbeast then repair permissions and cache.

4. RESTART and 10.6.8 should work.

5. download lion from app store and follow tonymacs xmove instructions... if everything installs then restart.

6. at chimera boot screen boot into installer partition using GraphicEnabler=no -x

7. this should boot you into lion installation. install and restart

8. at chimera boot screen boot with GraphicEnabler=no -x on Partition you installed lion on.(first time i did this i got a KP but restarted and did it again no problem)

9.once in lion i did the same thing as i did in 10.6.8 with ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext from 10.6.7 and repaired permissions and cache.

10. restart and booted into 10.7

I can confirm that this worked without flashing. Thanks SapientSlayer.

Warning: do not flash your 5770. I bricked one of my 5770A-ZNFCs with XFX.HD5770.1024.090926 and now it won't even POST.

What is the difference between upgrading from 10.6.7 (what I did) to Lion and 10.6.8 to Lion? I'm using rollback kexts from 10.6.7 and my lion works, but as another user mentioned there is no QE/CI or acceleration of any sort. I'll try to install Lion over 10.6.8 soon and see how it goes.

illmatic24 said:
gpicon said:
SapientSlayer said:

1. to upgrade to 10.6.8 i first backed up ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext from 10.6.7.

3. DO NOT RESTART... you need to install ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext using kextbeast then repair permissions and cache.

5. download lion from app store and follow tonymacs xmove instructions... if everything installs then restart.

6. at chimera boot screen boot into installer partition using GraphicEnabler=no -x

8. at chimera boot screen boot with GraphicEnabler=no -x on Partition you installed lion on.(first time i did this i got a KP but restarted and did it again no problem)

9.once in lion i did the same thing as i did in 10.6.8 with ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext from 10.6.7 and repaired permissions and cache.

I can confirm that this worked without flashing. Thanks SapientSlayer.

Warning: do not flash your 5770. I bricked one of my 5770A-ZNFCs with XFX.HD5770.1024.090926 and now it won't even POST.

What is the difference between upgrading from 10.6.7 (what I did) to Lion and 10.6.8 to Lion? I'm using rollback kexts from 10.6.7 and my lion works, but as another user mentioned there is no QE/CI or acceleration of any sort. I'll try to install Lion over 10.6.8 soon and see how it goes.

I can now also confirm that this method works. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It seems that installing from anything below 10.6.8 causes a mismatch in the framebuffers or something so you lose QE/CI even upon rolling back to 10.6.7. Just a hint for those installing 10.6.8, make sure to change (if you haven't already) your system definition to MacPro 3,1 in Multibeast or you will get a kernel panic. Good luck. :headbang:

I might try this

I upgraded from 10.6.7 to Lion skipping 10.6.8 because when I'd tried it before I couldn't get it to work

I'm using Lion now but I have to boot up in safe mode, everything works fine but I have no sound also I can't play games. But the main reason I wanted Mac (iLife) and integration between all the softwares works fine. Heck I'd be happy if I couldn't play games still (The only game I play is The Sims 3, which runs a lot faster in my Windows partition anyway) but the lack of sound is something VERY annoying

Of course I've always got my Time Machine back-up to rely upon but installing Leopard then doing all the updates again then Lion then transferring all the files across isn't something I'm looking forward too

Thanks though!

Doesnt upgrading to lion break most of the kexts for sound and video from 10.6.7. So why not try keeping your lion, and just grab your audio kext from your time machine from 10.6.7 and reinstall it.

I think the problems that sound doesn't work in Safe Mode not the Kexts

When I get a chance I'll reinstall everything and hopefully that will work :)

SapientSlayer said:

Can someone please post these 3 kexts?
ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext

I don't have access to snow leopard. Thanks.

EpidemiK said:
SapientSlayer said:

Can someone please post these 3 kexts?
ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext

I don't have access to snow leopard. Thanks.
Here you are.

Attachments

• 10.6.7 ATI KEXTS.zip
    948.8 KB · Views: 172
Wondering if something like this would work for me too? How/where do I install it?

:)

I've copied the files library -> extensions or something like that
It didn't work

I've also tried both the kext enablers that comes with multibeast

What & where did you guys use to put these files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back