Contribute
Register

Any word on compatibility with troubled XFX HD 5770 Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That XFX 5770 was the card I planned on buying -_- At least I found out now and not after I had bought it! But now some people are saying it's working. Confusing! :lol:

What card do you guys recommend for Lion? I've asked this other places on the forum, but if this card won't work oob in Lion, I want one that will. I need at least 1GB DDR5 and I want it to work great in Lion. I was shooting for an ATI card, but at this point I'm looking for something anywhere from $120-$150 that will work great with Lion.

Thanks guys!

theman123 said:
I have had my XFX ZNFC 5770 card working with Lion with no problems. Although I did end up flashing it with the Apple branded efi rom. You might not need to do that though, as long as you're using the latest Chimera/Multibeast.

I'll have to give it a try. Other than the flashing the ROM, did you just use GraphicsEnabler=Yes to get it supported?

Also, you have a link to a guide I could use to flash the apple efi to the card if need be?

-Thanks

I just checked xfx website and the one I have registered is Product Code: HD-577X-ZNFC

So I guess I should be fine then...

Dr_Oh said:
theman123 said:
I have had my XFX ZNFC 5770 card working with Lion with no problems. Although I did end up flashing it with the Apple branded efi rom. You might not need to do that though, as long as you're using the latest Chimera/Multibeast.

I'll have to give it a try. Other than the flashing the ROM, did you just use GraphicsEnabler=Yes to get it supported?

Also, you have a link to a guide I could use to flash the apple efi to the card if need be?

-Thanks
I'm currently using the modified Chameleon that has experimental Sandy Bridge and ATI support, believe it's in the latest Multibeast, with 64bit GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Here's where I found the rom I'm using now:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1136504
I'd recommend backing up your existing one, not sure if plays nice with Windows.

Also I can get more detailed info on my setup later today if you need it.

hacman said:
Dr_Oh said:
10.6.8 broke compatibility with XFX HD 5770 ZNFC cards. Any word whether this is holding true in Lion as well (I can only imagine I will have to be buying a new graphics card :( )

100% oob :D only chimera 1.4.1 and 64 bit apple boot ,don't need ati drivers :thumbup:

Hey! Umm that's looks like what my desktop says in Snow Leopard so I could get the graphics card to work with chimera, also how do I install snow leopard in 64 bit as I know mines in 32

I can see tomorrow being a long day say infront of my hackintosh :p

Dr_Oh said:
10.6.8 broke compatibility with XFX HD 5770 ZNFC cards. Any word whether this is holding true in Lion as well (I can only imagine I will have to be buying a new graphics card :( )

I know it's not exactcly the same but you said you couldn't get 10.6.8 to work with your graphics card - I'm not on Lion yet as I can only boot up using "PCIRootUID=1 -x" but I'm now running 10.6.8 so looks promising our cards will works with Lion

I have no idea what I've done effectively a clean install after lots of problems I managed to download and install lion with x-move and the screen never died but I couldn't boot into it after the install

The only thing I can say is try running multibeast again then upgrading - always keep a time machine clone to back up onto

Looks like the whole XFX brand isn't very Lion friendly, I've got an XFX 6870 and I also get the KP at boot.

Could this by the RadeonMonitor FakeSMC plugin not playing nice with the combination of XFX and Lion? Maybe all we have to do is kill that kext...

marky_91 said:
I know it's not exactcly the same but you said you couldn't get 10.6.8 to work with your graphics card - I'm not on Lion yet as I can only boot up using "PCIRootUID=1 -x" but I'm now running 10.6.8 so looks promising our cards will works with Lion

Booting with -x forces it to boot into safemode, so while you can get into 10.6.8 (as did I) the card won't function once you try to boot up normally

Edit: Effectively, you are in the same boat as I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back