Contribute
Register

Any successful build with GA-Z170X-UD5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm thinking to direct my attention (and financial endeavors) to GA-Z170X-UD5/i7 6700K/GTX 970.

Anyone succeeded with these components and El Capitan?

Thanks
ws

I have almost exactly that setup, but with a gtx 980 ti. I've been using it as a daily driver for about 4 months with no major issues. Everything works (that I can think of) except:

* USB 3.1/USB-c port, haven't tested.
* i211 networking causes crashes when using nvidia card (the i219 is working fine with Mausi kext).
* Built in audio doesn't wake up after sleep, this is solvable but I haven't worked on it.
* I don't use the igfx, but I hear it works with 11.4 now.

You can read what I said in november about the board here. Ignore the problems I talk about in the first two paragraphs, I've solved everything that annoyed me since. I still agree with my assessment that I would buy this board again, it's still very stable. But read my complaints at the bottom. If you care a lot about fan control, I'd look at ASUS boards.

If you decide to go for this setup, or any skylake setup be prepared to have a lot of patience to get it all setup and working. Especially if it's your first hackintosh.

P
I have almost exactly that setup, but with a gtx 980 ti. I've been using it as a daily driver for about 4 months with no major issues. Everything works (that I can think of) except:

* USB 3.1/USB-c port, haven't tested.
* i211 networking causes crashes when using nvidia card (the i219 is working fine with Mausi kext).
* Built in audio doesn't wake up after sleep, this is solvable but I haven't worked on it.
* I don't use the igfx, but I hear it works with 11.4 now.

You can read what I said in november about the board here. Ignore the problems I talk about in the first two paragraphs, I've solved everything that annoyed me since. I still agree with my assessment that I would buy this board again, it's still very stable. But read my complaints at the bottom. If you care a lot about fan control, I'd look at ASUS boards.

If you decide to go for this setup, or any skylake setup be prepared to have a lot of patience to get it all setup and working. Especially if it's your first hackintosh.

thanks alreadystarted!

It's not my first hackintosh though, but it would be my first Skylake one.
As a 50 years old architect I need a "first run" hackintosh, not a long trial and error journey until it's stable.
My main concerns are speed, RAM (to elaborate complex 3D shapes and renderings on 2 27' monitors) and GPU/video resolution, last but not least, audio and network must be working at first.
Cooler also is another important part of the system and I would use a Corsair H100i, but I'm unsure it works the right way.

Add to the aforementinoned things, I've never hit my head against Clover, always being a Chimera/Chameleon user, so I feel somewhat lost with this new system.

About ASUS motherboards, although I know they're better than Gigabyte, there are less builds on this forums from which take inspiration.

I need a very powerful computer that's ready to work.

Hope, at rhis point, Skylark Starter Guide will ve updated as soon as possible.

I'm thinking to direct my attention (and financial endeavors) to GA-Z170X-UD5/i7 6700K/GTX 970.

Anyone succeeded with these components and El Capitan?

Thanks
ws
I have built a system using the same motherboard, 64GB of RAM and a related graphics card (
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW GAMING ACX 2.0+) -- everything works, incl. iMessage, 1150 Audio, sleep/wake, and it (now) recognizes the full RAM. The only thing not working is ADCP protected content -- which I read doesn't work on Skylake yet. If you're still working through it please do post questions. Took me a few days of fiddling to get it right. Major additions to the guides already out are to ensure the right (not the latest) BIOS for the Board -- use version F5 from the Gigabyte website. The IO Serial absolutely needs to be off. and DarkWake=8 as a setting in Clover. The iMessage is relatively well documented using DebugiMessage and copying the parameters in, see here for a good YouTube Video on it (
). Nvidia proved to be easy one it had been installed following the guides, and after that even did a correct automatic update following an update of the OS from 10.11.4 to 10.11.5. Anyway, Do post questions if you have any

One other brief update. Don't forget to Overclock the CPU (I have a liquid cooler) I used a
Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700. Changing the CPU speed settings in the BIOS to i7-6700K increases the Geekbench multicore score from 18043 to 19642 and the single core score from 4555 to 4820: quite a decent increment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back