Contribute
Register

Any hardware builds that require no installation of kexts or further tinkering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
X58A-UD3R
CPU
i7-950 3.06Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC
Hey guys, im trying to get el capitan up and running on my desktop and keep running into issue after issue. Im wondering if there are any builds that basically don't require any further modification after installing the OS? I currently have two solid state drives a 2tb storage device and 12gb of ram, so im thinking of keeping that and just changing over the motherboard and graphics card to one that will work out of the box?

Do the CustoMac's listed on this site work this way? or do they usually still require further tinkering post install?

Regards,
Sean

I haven't heard of any that require nothing at all, but the 3570K on the B75 Gigabyte platform I still have requires very little.

Boot from Unibeast, install OSX, run Multibeast and install the network and sound drivers and you're done.

The Z87 with a 4770K was equally easy to deal with, but required the further step of installing the nVidia drivers. But apart from that I had no problems with it whatsoever. Even OSX update required only the reinstallation of the sound driver through multibeast.

Unfortunately both of these are older platforms, and the Intel internal graphics are far from snappy when required to do some serious graphicking.

The Haswell-E platform has been a complete nightmare for me.

Hey guys, im trying to get el capitan up and running on my desktop and keep running into issue after issue. Im wondering if there are any builds that basically don't require any further modification after installing the OS? I currently have two solid state drives a 2tb storage device and 12gb of ram, so im thinking of keeping that and just changing over the motherboard and graphics card to one that will work out of the box?

Do the CustoMac's listed on this site work this way? or do they usually still require further tinkering post install?

Regards,
Sean

MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro all work with install OS X only.

If you want to build using PC parts, you have to have the extra add-ons to make it work. Anything in the Buyer's Guide recommended parts can be made to work - some work OOB, some, like the GTX9xx series GPUs require a bit of extra work.

Thanks i might have a look into those parts :)

Just wondering how you went with your installation Going Bald? as you seem to have a pretty similar motherboard and graphics card to my current system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back