Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed my order today... paid a premium of $300

My card will arrive next week... (sapphire reference card)

hope it will support my hackintosh

Did you get it to work?

What happened? The Radeon RX 480 has been in the stores for a whole day. (At least in Europe). Did anyone try it on their Hack or Mac Pro? Reports, please!

There do not seem to be many available though. My local PC Superstore "Verkkokauppa.com" received 5 units three days ago. They sold 14 of them today. (Their saldo is now -9) https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/pro...Radeon-RX-480-8-Gt-naytonohjain-PCI-e-vaylaan

The 8 GB card by Asus is priced 319 Euros (including VAT).

P.S. - There is another thread here on 'General Hardware Discussion' with links to reviews:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amds-radeon-rx-480-released.196742/

This card was a disappointment. The GTX 970 is better priced.. :(

The 8 GB card by Gigabyte was priced 10190 NTD(about 320 USD) , by Powercolor was priced 8990NTD (about 280 USD) in Taiwan ...

This card was a disappointment. The GTX 970 is better priced.. :(
Here in Germany the RX 480 was introduced for 219€ (4GB), while the GTX 970 has dropped to 250-270€. The RX is faster on stock clocks and with a proper cooling solution it can be OC'ed by at least 15-20%, which puts it in front of the R9 390X.
So value for money isn't bad at all IMHO.

I was a bit shocked about the efficiency though, because AMD claimed huge advances. The card is already exceeding the spec'ed 150W on stock clocks, so it's merely achieving the Maxwell level of efficiency, not talking about Pascal...

I am thinking about getting this card. But I don't really wanna upgrade from 10.10. Hopefully we will be able to migrate the polaris drivers to older versions of OS X.

I am thinking about getting this card. But I don't really wanna upgrade from 10.10. Hopefully we will be able to migrate the polaris drivers to older versions of OS X.
I hope you're right about Nvidia providing support in El Capitan. I have always felt (well, more than felt) that OS X was worth upgrading to a new 10.x version until 10.x.3 at which time the bugs have been worked out of new 10.x. So, we'll see.

In the meantime, the competition is on between the 480+ and the 1000 series graphics cards.

I really hope we will have good graphics drivers. I need the 5120x2880 at 60Hz via 2 DisplayPort cables. Right now I am on Intel HD 530 and I only have 4k60hz, with very bad HiDPI resolution aviable (only 1080p HiDPI that is way too big). So I am stuck with windows, unless i buy a 970 OR AMD does the trick with this card and the drivers, even for Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back