Contribute
Register

[AMAZING SUCCESS] ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2600K, GTX 480, ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P67 / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / 16 GB RAM
CPU
i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
Graphics
GTX 480
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey, everyone. I have been an active member of these forums ever since I became inspired to build a hackintosh "supercomputer." Installation was fast.

Thanks to the tremendous support of the community, you might notice that my join date was very recent relative to this very post :)

Because of how well the community supported me through my journey of selecting the hardware for the perfect machine for my needs, I would like to pay it forward.

Without further ado: Here it is, the ultimate Sandy Bridge dual-boot hackintosh super machine:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K, overclocked to 4.4GHz stable for 24/7 use
Cooler: Zalman CNPX11S
Fans:
- Four (4x) COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm BLUE LED
- One (1x) NZXT FN-200RB 200mm BLUE LED
Graphics: EVGA GTX 480
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (16GB : 4x4GB)
Power: Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750-watt silver certified
Bluetooth: Rocketfish RF-MRBTAD
Webcam:Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Wireless: Netgear WN311B Wireless-N
Optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST CD/DVD +/- R/RW
Sound: ASUS Xonar Essence STX (Windows only)
Case: NZXT Phantom
SATA:
- Two (2x) OCZ Vertex 3 SATAIII Solid-State (SSD) 240GB (480GB total) for operating system and applications
- Three (3x) Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB SATAIII HDD (6TB total) for storage
Keyboards:
- Logitech G110 USB LED Gaming keyboard
- Logitech diNovo Edge Bluetooth Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech LX7

Everything above worked Out-of-the-box using Andy's Boot CD for installation, the nVidia 2 update provided on this site, and a kext for the WiFi adapter found here:

The only thing is, the ASUS sound card doesn't work on osx (though I knew this ahead of time). The on-board sound works great, which is also quite good.

Only problem - theres a weird startup bug, where the system does not boot 100% of the time on the OSX side. This is something that came up within the last couple of days, so you shouldn't be too worried about this if starting fresh. You can read more about the weird startup issue, and help me solve it, by looking here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21672

Again, thanks everyone for their continual support! I will help answer questions the best I can.

The install was incredibly easy.

Gordo74 is correct, and this forum is for iBoot+MultiBeast (+BridgeHelper). Besides, Andy shared his ATI.c information with the Forum gurus 6 weeks ago, and they've incorporated the fixes into Chimera boot loaders. So, I think you did it the hard way.

Im super happy with your success man! I will get all my parts now on monday and can't wait to start working on it!

A++

wow ....
This is I'm waiting for ...
time to move from Asus P5Q-PRO

thanks to TS

Gordo74 said:
You know, Multibeast would get your sound working.

Tried Mulitbeast. Got my on-board sound working, but this sound card requires a much more advanced support. I'm happy with my 7.1 surround and steelseries headphones on windows for gaming, etc, and my secondary bose speakers and front-panel headphone jack for my bose headphones using the standard on-board sound.

Stork said:
Gordo74 is correct, and this forum is for iBoot+MultiBeast (+BridgeHelper). Besides, Andy shared his ATI.c information with the Forum gurus 6 weeks ago, and they've incorporated the fixes into Chimera boot loaders. So, I think you did it the hard way.

Hard way? Lol did you read my post? It was a piece of cake. Point-and-click.

OCZ Vertex 3 SATAIII works in GA-X58A-UD3R - 2.0?? plug in what port?

sata normal or sata 6 port?

support raid 0?

I am so glad someone got this working. I'm getting a killer deal on a P67 Sabertooth and i7 and 6GB ram ($230) for all three and I would love to get hackintosh working.

Can you post all the files you used? kexts etc?

First Things First, EVGA doesn't make that GTX480 card anymore. They only produce 500 series cards from now on from what I understand. This was an issue when I went to buy all my goodies for my build that I noticed a few days before purchasing. Sadly, I do not think you can find that card anywhere else without paying a crap ton for it now, I mean easily $150-$200 more than its worth.

I followed JHelmer, and mine and his build are fairly the same. I chose to go with the ASUS GTX 480 card, however...I too am having issues getting my graphics working. I've emailed JHelmer a few times, but the last couple I never got a reply too.

Anyways, this is what is currently happening for me. I have Windows 7 booted fine, everything works perfect. On the mac side, I have 10.6.8 by use of Andy's Boot CD and a few other things, like the newest Chameleon. I have my computer fully recognized from what I can tell. It tells me I have 16gb of RAM, it lists my processor, and even displays the right information about my nVidia 480 in the "About this Mac" panes. The problem is, even after editing the plist and making sure Graphics enabler read "Yes" my Resolution is still stuck at "1280x1024". Which for you and me both is not good at all as I'm trying to use Two 1920x1080p Viewsonic monitors.

When I try to uses Multibeast/Easybeast for the graphics enabler it tells me certain things cannot be installed (more on this in a moment). If I try to install the Retail nVidia drivers, as soon as I start the installer, it prompts me with, "This computer will not support the nVidia Graphics solution". I tried running TonyMac's nVidia 2.1 update, and it tells me it was installed successfully...but "/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100Hal.kext" , and about 4 others were not installed successfully. Meaning, it probably actually did nothing at all. :(

So as of right now, everything is cool…but graphics. Which as I'm a Graphic Designer…is not so cool.

Other than that though, its been pretty smooth sailing getting to 10.6.8, I've just been hung up here for a few days now.

-Anni

Hi All,

I've tried with muliBeast and I still can't get my sound card to work.

What am I doing wrong?
also, I've even use 892Beta_Lion_AppleHDA Kext. That did not work either.

My Motherboard is the ASUS P67.

jhelmer25, how did you get yours to work?

thank you

UPDATE:
After following the instruction with 892Beta_Lion_AppleHDA Kext (delete existing Kext) and it did not work. I decided to run MultiBeast again with the following items selected again:
Kexts & Enablers \Autio\Realtek ALC8xx
1. ALC8xxHDA
2. AppleHDA Rollback
Kexts & Enablers \Autio\Realtek ALC8xx\Non-DSDT HDAEnabler
1. ALC892
Kexts & Enablers \Autio\Realtek ALC8xx\Patched AppleHDA
1. ALC892
Reboot and BOOM! It works!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back