internal
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

Just spend hours on this forum and i deicded to take the plunge and build my own
Thinking of going for

CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR
Drive: 120gb SSD
I already have a 300w psu and case The machine will mainly be used for internet and itunes and the odd bit of CS5,just slighly concered that it would be underpowered or would i be fine?
Much thanks in advance

for what you plan to do with it, i wouldnt say thats underpowered.
far from in fact

thank you for the fast reply! I think i might pull the trigger on this tonight and hope to get it running at the weekend! Just concered about getting sleep to work,but i am sure it will work out, Also i have a 120 pico psu but i couldnt find a 35w cpu.

Sorry to repost with another question! is there a slightly meatier cpu people could recommand?

Most thanks

newtoallofthis said:
Sorry to repost with another question! is there a slightly meatier cpu people could recommand?

Most thanks

An i5 of sorts. Quad core is a jump up from the i3 dual and only for $50 or so.

if you're intending on using HD3000 graphics, then make sure you get the i5-2500k...the non-"k" only has HD2000 which isn't supported in lion.

Thank you! this is my revised build

Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS3 8GB Two Memory Module Kit
Gigabyte SKT-1155 H67N-USB3-B3 Mini ITX Motherboard
Crucial CT064M4Solid State Drive2 64GB

and maybe a sugo or Fractial case,
Any thoughnts anyone? Thank you for all your kind advice!

just an fyi, i am running off an i3 2100 (I bought the processor by accident and couldn't return it) and think that it is not underpowered.) I run illustrator and photoshop at the same time as all of the other programs--browsers, itunes, preview, FTP, textmate, evernote, etc. and things run quickly. My CPU rarely gets maxed out (i enabled the little monitor in the activity monitor to always show on my screen). 16GB of RAM may have been overkill, i usually have 7.5 or so that is free.

So, if you are looking for a home theater PC (what with the mini-ITX mobo and all) then it seems like an i3 2105 would be fine.

I think people default to the i5 2500k because it is a "middle of the road" solution. Intel essentially uses the most basic marketing trick around to get people to pick the i5--make one that is fine, one that is great, and one that is over-kill and people will always go for the middle choice.

Also, if you do go with the i5 2500k, h67 boards will let you use integrated graphics but you can't adjust the clock multiplier--so your unlocked processor will be of no use that way.

You can see how your build is starting to creep. If you dial it back to the same motherboard, cheap processor, a bit of ram, you can use the extra money to get a bigger SSD or a better monitor / TV, both of which I think you would enjoy in the long run much more than an overlcocked processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back