Contribute
Register

[ALL ProBooks/Laptops in General] Our WiFi WhiteListing Days Are 0v3r!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it even possible for me to use Grub2 if I don't have a Linux distribution installed? I really would prefer not to as I won't use it at all.

Grub2 would require small partition to take advantage of all the tools and possibilities it offers.
At this point I would wait for native Chameleon/Chimera solution we might soon see.

great work, guys!!

i want to try this on my 4530s, in preparation for buying (and trying this) on an hp folio ultrabook. i did some googling and found that the bios on the folio is "RSA signed" so no bios modding is possible. i understand the dsdt patch reenables the slot after the bios disables it, so "rsa signing" on the folio ultrabook shouldn't be an issue.

here's a stupid question:

on the mini pci-e wifi card: which pin is #20?
i did some googling, and i think i know but wanted confirmation. holding the card so from left to right there are 18 pins, then the index slot, then 8 pins, i think the pin numbering from left to right is

52 51 50 .... 22 20 18 index slot 16 14 12 ... 6 4 2

is that right?

if so, i would put a piece of tape over the area of #20, and then use a hobby knife to cut the tape away from both sides of #20. sound right?

thanks

ken

Attachments

• pin20.jpg
    pin20.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 2,029
great work, guys!!

i want to try this on my 4530s, in preparation for buying (and trying this) on an hp folio ultrabook. i did some googling and found that the bios on the folio is "RSA signed" so no bios modding is possible. i understand the dsdt patch reenables the slot after the bios disables it, so "rsa signing" on the folio ultrabook shouldn't be an issue.

here's a stupid question:

on the mini pci-e wifi card: which pin is #20?
i did some googling, and i think i know but wanted confirmation. holding the card so from left to right there are 18 pins, then the index slot, then 8 pins, i think the pin numbering from left to right is

52 51 50 .... 22 20 18 index slot 16 14 12 ... 6 4 2

is that right?

if so, i would put a piece of tape over the area of #20, and then use a hobby knife to cut the tape away from both sides of #20. sound right?

thanks

ken

The problem with the HP Folio is that it hangs at the "your wifi is not compatible with this....blah..blah" screen during boot up. You can't press enter to bypass this message so therefore I believe you can not use a DSDT/Bootloader/DIY Setup 1.x to get a wifi working. The only way is a modded bios - and since you said it's signed that means we are SOL. FML. :(

Let me know if there are any other alternatives.

The problem with the HP Folio is that it hangs at the "your wifi is not compatible with this....blah..blah" screen during boot up. You can't press enter to bypass this message so therefore I believe you can not use a DSDT/Bootloader/DIY Setup 1.x to get a wifi working. The only way is a modded bios - and since you said it's signed that means we are SOL. FML. :(

Let me know if there are any other alternatives.

thanks for that info. that saves me two trips to walmart--one to buy it and one to return it!!

in any case, it's good to know there is a whitelist workaround for the 4530 for future reference. if enough people buy the folio, maybe someone will figure out a workaround for that. it would be nice to have an Air equivalent at half the price.

ken

Grub2 would require small partition to take advantage of all the tools and possibilities it offers.
At this point I would wait for native Chameleon/Chimera solution we might soon see.

Can you show me how to enable the wifi port with Grub2? Thanks.

Can you show me how to enable the wifi port with Grub2? Thanks.

Which Probook is this for 4530S or 5330M ?
If you use OSX only dsdt patch should be OK
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...wifi-whitelisting-days-0v3r-4.html#post446874

for multi OS at the Grub2 prompt please drop to C command level and provide me with an output of following command

Code:
read_byte 0xFED1F41A

We also got experimental support for Chimera/Chameleon however it is hardcoded and can mess things up if people are running custom setups like eGPU or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back