Contribute
Register

All of a sudden HDD not readable..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this worked great for me!
I already hat this error half year ago and didn't know, what to do, so i formated my disk (at this time there were every data backuped on an extra storage, so the only bad thing was the time i had to wait), but today i thought first, that my 600gb data were lost.
Thank you very much :)

This is amazing. It works for me. Thank you for your time and effort.

I had the same problem, my exFAT volume was gone, Disk Util said "invalid sector size: 0" and it was not able to repair the volume.

This worked for me: Open up Terminal and type
Code:
[B]sudo fsck_exfat -d [COLOR=#3E3E3E]disk1s2[/COLOR][/B]
, assuming that disk1s2 is the volume in question.

After
fsck_exfat has finished, it asks you "Main boot region needs to be updated. Update?". Type "Yes" and hit Enter.

After that, go back into Disk Util, now the right name of your volume should appear instead of "disk1s2". Now, repair the volume, this time it should work. Disk Util will print out the following:
Code:
Checking main boot region.Checking system files.
Volume name is ORIGINAL_NAME.
Checking upper case translation table.
Checking file system hierarchy.
Checking active bitmap.
Rechecking main boot region.
Rechecking alternate boot region.

The volume ORIGINAL_NAME appears to be OK.

I suspect in my case a running application which had opened files on the exFAT volume, which has not been shutdown properly when I rebooted Mac OS X.

TT_TT THX!, this work for my :)

I've been dealing with the same problem. I suspect in my Insync app synchronizing my Google Drive Folder.

Has anyone come up with a permanent solution? This happens to me at least once a month.

I've been dealing with the same problem. I suspect in my Insync app synchronizing my Google Drive Folder.

Has anyone come up with a permanent solution? This happens to me at least once a month.
Use a different file format. ExFAT is far too susceptible to corruption and failure.

I had the same problem, my exFAT volume was gone, Disk Util said "invalid sector size: 0" and it was not able to repair the volume.

This worked for me: Open up Terminal and type
Code:
[B]sudo fsck_exfat -d [COLOR=#3E3E3E]disk1s2[/COLOR][/B]
, assuming that disk1s2 is the volume in question.

After
fsck_exfat has finished, it asks you "Main boot region needs to be updated. Update?". Type "Yes" and hit Enter.

After that, go back into Disk Util, now the right name of your volume should appear instead of "disk1s2". Now, repair the volume, this time it should work. Disk Util will print out the following:
Code:
Checking main boot region.Checking system files.
Volume name is ORIGINAL_NAME.
Checking upper case translation table.
Checking file system hierarchy.
Checking active bitmap.
Rechecking main boot region.
Rechecking alternate boot region.

The volume ORIGINAL_NAME appears to be OK.

I suspect in my case a running application which had opened files on the exFAT volume, which has not been shutdown properly when I rebooted Mac OS X.

Thanks SO much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back