Graphics
GTX 580 Lighting @ 940/4400
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
By following this tutorial I have all working except SPDIF output on my onboard sound.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-dual-nvidia-geforce-gtx-470s-revised-ml.html

My config.
i7 3820
ASRock Extreme 4 X79
GTX 580

Code:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac12,2
  Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:    4.5 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    4
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    10 MB
  Memory:    8 GB
  Boot ROM Version:    ASRock 2.10
  SMC Version (system):    1.30f3

Also have a generic Burr Brown USB DAC connected.Can select it as output but no sound is heard. Anyone knows?

Code:
  USB Audio DAC   :

Manufacturer:    Burr-Brown from TI              
  Output Channels:    2
  Current SampleRate:    44100
  Transport:    USB

My Creative X-Fi HD USB audio device worked from the start with no additional drivers from multi beast. Native OS X functionality works for volume control / mute, and on-screen displays match what happens. In other words, this was truly plug-n-play.

The tutorial you linked shows the addition of Voodoo for ALC898, which of course is for your on-board sound.

I'm curious: would your Burr-Brown USB device would work without the Voodoo drivers present in the build? It's very likely the better device for analog output (Burr-Browns re great DACs), and if it offers SPD/IF, you might be able to use that device exclusively.

Yes I also have Creative X-Fi USB that worked out of the box. I got the DAC to work somehow when I repaired permissions. Works like a charm.It has USB and SPDIF input and is far away from my PC so I thought to use SPDIF from my onboard audio to DAC.

This is from IOReg for the DAC

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 2.29.36 AM.png

So I assume you still need optical out from your onboard, in order to feed your Burr-Brown.

Have you found any references to other hacks that use your board (ASRock Extreme 4 X79) that have their optical working?

Are you using a DSDT & SSDT for that board, that works?

In my experience, having a proper DSDT and SSDT helps. Although there are DSDT-free install options from Multibeast, I could not get my ASUS board to it's potential (including overclocks) without the DSDT and SSDT and modified (unlocked) BIOS. Beyond that, I'm not sure what i would look at...

I managed to solve my problem by disabling front audio ports in bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back