Contribute
Register

AGPM controller - unknown platform (Sapphire 6870) Do I need to edit my AGPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z68ap-d3 - 10.8.2
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
sapphire 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
When I boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes I get [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform on startup then a black screen.

I'm using the unmodified ATI60000Controller.kext which boots fine with GraphicsEnabler=No but won't wake from sleep.

Do I need to edit ApplePowerManagement.kext ?

My graphics card has a vendor ID of 1002, device ID of 6738 and I'm using a mac 12.2 system definition

The AGPM plist under the iMac 12,2 section shows device IDs of 6720, 6722 and 6740.

I'm not sure which values to change so here is the section of my AGPM kext I believe I need to edit:

<key>iMac12,2</key>
<dict>
<key>Vendor1002Device6720</key>
<dict>
<key>QSC</key>
<dict>
<key>Enabled</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Mode</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>hwPState</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>2</integer>
</array>
<key>qscOnTime</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>960</integer>
<integer>2400</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>2560</integer>
<integer>5280</integer>
<integer>8000</integer>
<integer>10560</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
</array>
</dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>17</integer>
<key>max-power-state</key>
<integer>8</integer>
</dict>
<key>Vendor1002Device6722</key>
<dict>
<key>QSC</key>
<dict>
<key>Enabled</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Mode</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>hwPState</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>1</integer>
<integer>2</integer>
</array>
<key>qscOnTime</key>
<array>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>960</integer>
<integer>2400</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
<integer>2560</integer>
<integer>5280</integer>
<integer>8000</integer>
<integer>10560</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
</array>
</dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>17</integer>
<integer>8</integer>
</dict>
<key>Vendor1002Device6740</key>
<dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>17</integer>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>
</dict>

I installed User DSDT
ALC889 (ALC8xx/with DSDT)
3rd Party SATA
lNX2Mac RTL81xx
Chimera
SSDT

My chameleon boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Can anyone help me out?

Just my HDMI

Just my HDMI

The AMD Radeon HD 6970M in the genuine iMac12,2 has the device id 6720. Since that is the highest end card available in the iMac, I would recommend adding your device id (6738) in place of 6720 in AGPM.kext.

Change this:

Code:
<key>iMac12,2</key>
<dict>
<key>Vendor1002Device6720</key>

To this:

Code:
<key>iMac12,2</key>
<dict>
<key>Vendor1002Device6738</key>

You can try this and see if you get different results.

I personally added my HD 6870 directly to my DSDT, and it works 100%. If you want help with that, I can help you out. What version of OS X are you running?

Dil83

I tried that edit and it wouldn't boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes so I reinstalled the original AGPM kext and now it will but with PCIRootUID=0.

I got it to wake from sleep by changing my VGA setting to always enabled in BIOS.

Does this mean my onboard graphics will be on constantly even if not connected to display?

What method did you use to add your graphics card to the DSDT?

I'm on 10.8.2 fresh install.

Sorry to open old threads again, but Dil, I need your help with my HD 6870. I have it installed perfectly, just fan control is not keeping the thing cool under load. Do I have to edit something? Can you help with this? I have already flashed BIOS but OS X is taking control of the fans as soon as its booted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Dil83,

I saw you got a lot 6870's working. What models are these, and are they fully working? I have a Sapphire HD6870 1 GB with 5 outputs and ID 6738.

All AMD drivers are loaded, this means AppleGraphicsDeviceControl, AppleGraphicsPowerManagement. AppleGraphicsControl is sometimes loaded, sometimes not - I've tried so many combinations :p I've configured my System as PowerMac6,1 and AGPM.kext is already patched for my ID. Still - the system doesn't start the graphics accelerator. In Snow Leopard the card is fully supported, Xbench scores in Text/GUI are the about 1200/720, in Yosemite 360/70. Depending on the configurations I had GUI values between 80 and 17 :p

I have the Xcode OpenGL Driver Monitor and some other testing tools here.
http://www.share-online.biz/dl/HKEM6YNN93F

Quartz Debug has some hidden options, you can activate them like this:
defaults write com.apple.QuartzDebug QuartzDebugPrivateInterface -boolean YES

and deactivate like this:
defaults delete com.apple.QuartzDebug QuartzDebugPrivateInterface

The OpenGL Driver Monitor is important, if you get some graphs, then your HW accelerator is on, on my system it is off, after various configurations. Another type of 'benchmark' is here: http://www.share-online.biz/dl/RO89IWNNG7D
In 1600x1200 I got in Yosemite about 60 fps, in Snow Leopard 180.

Maybe you have some ideas, because I know some guys who are having similar problems. We found no solution yet.

naquaada this is an old thread that has not been used for about two years.

You might get better results by starting your own thread here in the Graphics forum.

Good modding,
neil

What do you think how many threads I opened about my graphics problems in different forums - all the same problem: The most are telling that the 6870 works OOB, but this isn't the case on my system. And it's a Yosemite problem, because my Intel HD4000 acts exactly the same way. But the 6870 is not defective, in Snow Leopard it works completely.

I've found this thread just by google search and Dil83 has three 6870's working. But are they correctly working? All people today are using 3D tests like Valley, Heaven and so on, but these programs aren't testing if the hardware graphics accelerator is active. If not, the Apple software renderer is used, it works, but of course it's much slower. You can find this out with the OpenGL Driver Monitor from the Xcode graphics tools.

Another problem is again the method of benchmark testing: GPU-intensive, High resolution and aliasing and whatever is cool, because it looks good and shows that you have a state-of-the-art graphics card (if it works correctly). But you won't use this in daily use with the operating system, and so you have to test 2D functions like Text creation and GUI element drawing, that's important. For this is Xbench very good. Even my 2008 Leopard system with a Radeon HD2600XT is more than three times faster in GUI drawing than Yosemite.

But after a while all these threads are falling asleep, so it wouldn't be a difference if a new thread is started or an old one is reactivated.

HD4000 isn't supported in Snow Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back