Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Throwing out a feeler for this laptop. Seems like an incredible budget buy if it would run OSX.

Specs:

Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor Type Core i3
Processor Model i3-4005U
Processor Speed 1.70 GHz
Processor Core Dual-core (2 Core)
Memory
Standard Memory 4 GB
Memory Technology DDR3L SDRAM
Memory Card Reader Yes
Memory Card Supported Secure Digital (SD) Card
Storage
Solid State Drive Capacity 32 GB
Optical Drive Type No
Display & Graphics
Screen Size 11.6"
Display Screen Type Active Matrix TFT Color LCD
Display Screen Technology ComfyView
Screen Mode HD
Screen Resolution 1366 x 768
Backlight Technology LED
Graphics Controller Manufacturer Intel
Graphics Controller Model HD 4400
Graphics Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics Memory Accessibility Shared
Network & Communication
Wireless LAN Standard IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
Bluetooth Standard Bluetooth 4.0 + HS
Built-in Devices
Webcam Yes
Microphone Yes
Finger Print Reader No
Interfaces/Ports
HDMI Yes
Total Number of USB Ports 2
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 1
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 1
Package Contents
C720-34054G03aii Notebook
Lithium Polymer Battery
AC Adapter
Additional Information
Wireless LAN: Acer Nplify 802.11a/b/g/n

Wifi on Ubuntu has been activated using Broadcom STA wireless. Googling states the card could be a Atheros AR5B91 B/G/N.

Throwing out a feeler for this laptop. Seems like an incredible budget buy if it would run OSX.

Someone has already tried (you might use search). Problem is there is no Intel MEI on the PCI bus as there should be. BIOS probably has it disabled. OS X graphics drivers depend on it.

You can evidently get a PCI inventory with 'lspci -nn' in Terminal (under Chrome OS...)

The one you are referring to is the c720 with the Intel Celeron 2955U processor. I lurked when I saw that thread, but was doubtful it could succeed. This model however has an i3 and the 4400 IGP so it might fair better.

The one you are referring to is the c720 with the Intel Celeron 2955U processor. I lurked when I saw that thread, but was doubtful it could succeed. This model however has an i3 and the 4400 IGP so it might fair better.

That's what I thought and there was a second to join that conversation with the i3 version... unfortunately, the IMEI is not present. But feel free to investigate and give it a shot.

I am still trying a few things, I read a doc somewhere stating that there is an MEI device in all Haswell Chromebooks (it's a requirement by Intel). The trick is figuring out how to interface with it. I had a thought that lspci wouldn't show it because chromeos doesn't want or need it, and can't talk to it, and also maybe OS X can't talk to it simply because it isn't identified correctly. Worst case scenario is that it is in fact disabled by its weird BIOS, but I still can't find anywhere to alter that.

I'm keeping this machine now because I dropped it at work and it scratched a little.

Any updates on this? I'd love to get myself an i3 Chromebook...

Regarding IMEI, found this on another forum:
Further details; Coreboot disables the OS from seeing the management engine on chrome books/chromeboxes, which is 8086:9c3a on the Haswell (including 2955u). I've been in discussion with someone who successfully compiled coreboot re-enabling the intel ME on his 2955u Chromebox, so that would likely need to happen to ever have a chance of getting graphics acceleration working.

The results of that might be interesting.

Regarding IMEI, found this on another forum:

The results of that might be interesting.

Is this coreboot compile being discussed anywhere?
I'd like to read more about it.
Maybe IMEI costs more to the OEM to have it end-user accessible?

I plan on buying a Chromebook 15 which was announced this month, so my c720 will be my hackintosh hobby.
Just can't do much OS X stuff right now because I use it every day for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back