Intel HD3000 1366x768 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, AMD Radeon 6850M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
RehabMan,

I tried Acer Aspire Fan Control, but it does not work for 5755G as well as CPU heatsink etc.. Any idea?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 18.57.46.png

Attachments

• eric’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    3.3 MB · Views: 242
RehabMan,

I tried Acer Aspire Fan Control, but it does not work for 5755G as well as CPU heatsink etc.. Any idea?

Thanks!

View attachment 94061

Are you talking about the DSDT patch in my patch repo? It was started as an experiment and never completed for the event that someone wants to continue it. The original person with the hardware bailed out.

Yes. The patch in your repository. I want to be able to find out the rpm of the system fan.
What do you need to dig it a bit deeper?

Thanks!

Yes. The patch in your repository. I want to be able to find out the rpm of the system fan.
What do you need to dig it a bit deeper?

Thanks!

You should probably check out my thread for the ProBook: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

Because you'll have to do some experimentation with RW-Everything in Windows to determine how/if the fan can be controlled.

As you can see from the code there is supposed to be some registers in the EC:
Code:
    Field (ECRM, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)\n
    {\n
        Offset(0x93), BIOS, 8,    // BIOS control over fan byte\n
        Offset(0x94), FSPD, 8,    // fan speed control/status\n
        Offset(0xA8), CPUD, 8,    // CPU temp\n
        Offset(0xAF), GPUD, 8,    // GPU temp\n
    }\n

The Offset shows you where in the EC the register is located... You can view these registers and change them in EC. It is possible the EC on your Acer is completely different from the one which these offsets were gathered for.

The idea would be to find the value to be written to BIOS to take control over the fan. According to the comments/code in this patch:
Code:
        Store (0x14, BIOS) // 0x04 is BIOS control, 0x14 manual control\n

And then you'd need to figure out what values should be written to FSPD for controlling the RPM. Sometimes the values here are inverse (as they are on the ProBook), where larger values result in slower RPM. But it could be opposite...

And like I said, your laptop may be completely different... But maybe you can figure out where/what the controls are. Once the controls are determined, it is easy to have ProBook like control over the fan.

Note that this DSDT patch does nothing by itself. ACPIPoller.kext must be installed to activate it: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Poller

This is a little different than I thought. I don't really want to control the fan because I think my fan works fine. (No intention to talk in rhymes). When CPU core are busy and CPU temperature rising, I can clearly hear my fan kicks in. If it works, so I am like why bother it.

What I really want to resolve is that HWMonitor cannot detect the fan speed and several other temperature readings such CPU heatsink, motherboard proximity if they apply.

Edit: I actually just read you other post for Probooks, and I now understand what you are trying to achieve there, but for noob like me, I guess a step a time.

This is a little different than I thought. I don't really want to control the fan because I think my fan works fine. (No intention to talk in rhymes). When CPU core are busy and CPU temperature rising, I can clearly hear my fan kicks in. If it works, so I am like why bother it.

What I really want to resolve is that HWMonitor cannot detect the fan speed and several other temperature readings such CPU heatsink, motherboard proximity if they apply.

Edit: I actually just read you other post for Probooks, and I now understand what you are trying to achieve there, but for noob like me, I guess a step a time.

You will still need to find out where in the EC fan speed and temperatures are stored and determine how to interpret them. If you look at your OEM SSDTs, and find one with the PTID device, in the case that it is implemented well, it can offer great clues on these sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back